Tips and Tricks

How did they do that?

Looking through the book store i saw a 8X10 with full bleed and it have three pictures layered  on top of the full bleed picture…How do you do that? I haven’t seen any templates in BookSmart that allows photos to lay over another!

Thanks 

Pictureme

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
pictureme
Aug 27, 2007 10:20am PDT
pictureme

You need to compose the image in Photoshop (or similar) first…

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Aug 27, 2007 12:04pm PDT
lkb-28

Does that mean they compose the picture and then enter it as one in full bleed? I was looking through and saw where people had done that. It definately adds some spice to those books! :)

Posted by
Sdyflat
Sep 5, 2007 2:16pm PDT
Sdyflat

If you compose/group the pictures you want on one page in Photoshop, Corel Photopaint, etc. and then export or save it as a jpeg, Book Smart sees that jpeg as one image that you can place as a full bleed in the book.

Posted by
waltn1
Sep 5, 2007 3:37pm PDT
waltn1

Hi Guys;

Just as a clarification; This technique can be used for ANY page layout; it doesn’t need to be a "full-bleed" or "full-page" template…

It’ll work regardless of what template is used. BookSmart simply treats the imported image as it would any other JPEG file…

Cheers;

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Sep 6, 2007 12:32am PDT
lkb-28

Does anyone know where I can get predesigned photoshop layouts (free or pay)?   I am more interested in quality and it would save me a ton of time!  Thanks.

Posted by
Crys5683
Sep 9, 2007 8:41pm PDT
Crys5683

Crys5683,

Have you try this venue of Googling Photoshop templates, where you can find some pretty good stuff, either at free or nomial fees. You also could try Yahoo search as well.

Posted by
brianbonitz
Sep 9, 2007 9:33pm PDT
brianbonitz

Hello Crys5683;

With all due respect to Brian, I think you will be hard pushed to find any ready-made Photoshop layouts to achieve a Blurb interface…

What you will find on the WWW is aimed at Web page publishing, rather than photo-book presentation…

What is it you have in mind specifically, and perhaps we could point you in the right direction?

Personally, I think that the standard Blurb templates satisfy 99% of most needs…

The only time you would need a specific Photoshop creation is where a standard Blurb template doen’t meet your needs; and in that case, it’s highly unlikely you would find a ready-made layout anyway! It doesn’t take long at all to open a new canvas (sized to the BookSmart page size you want…) and import, re-size and layout your images…

Cheers;

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Sep 10, 2007 3:48am PDT
lkb-28

Crys5683

There are a number of packages available some will interfae to Photoshop, such as YSI (exports PSD files) which has tons of templates, very much aimed at the Pro wedding photographer. There is FotoFusion which is a stand alone package. There is AlbumDS, Pixel Creator which are frontends to Photoshop. Gary Fong has a set of actions for Photoshop. They retail for various prices normally around the $250+  from memory.

After much evaluation I wrote my own frontend to Photoshop that allows you to create and reuse templates, drag and drop Photoshop documents into it and resize them based on the aperture in the template, you can also apply various effects. I used it on my first blurb book a couple of weeks ago. If you want more details I’ll give you the web address. I’m currently using it to layout a 200 page wedding book and the output from my layouts is going into both a 13×11 and  10×8.

Louis 

Posted by
PhotoLouis
Sep 10, 2007 5:25am PDT
PhotoLouis

Hello Louis;

THANKS for adding your post; that opens up a whole new arena, although one clearly aimed at the professionals amongst us…

Cheers;

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Sep 10, 2007 7:55am PDT
lkb-28

Thanks SO much for all the responses.  I am mainly wanting some overlapping variations.  I do realize that blurb offers great layout options, but when I have over 50 book orders, they all start to look alike!  I can spend time making the custom layouts in photoshop as I have been doing, but I thought I would check to see what others were doing.  If I had just a few templates to start with I could jazz them up a little more with my own touch.  I would like any more information you have Louis (web address!) Thanks a ton!

Posted by
Crys5683
Sep 10, 2007 9:00am PDT
Crys5683

Hi Crys5683

The link to my app is psAlbumHelper PixcelCreator is here, YSI is here and this is FotoFusion. Hope they are of some use to you. You can have a look at psAlbumHelper help file for an idea of how it works but it is slightly out of date as I have been adding new features as I come across a need. There is a feature that will take a double page spread and create 2 single pages, it gives an overlap which tries to provide a full pano, was designed to work for the Lulu books but should do the same for Blurb but I haven’t tried it yet.

Thanks for the comments Lee.

Louis 

Posted by
PhotoLouis
Sep 10, 2007 10:54am PDT
PhotoLouis

Has anyone had success with using text in PS layouts and then importing to Blurb? I have been afraid it will rasterize and become soft so I’ve stuck with the blurb type boxes, but their formatting is painful to use when trying to center on graphic elements.

Thanks,

chris

Posted by
fotovult
Sep 12, 2007 9:00am PDT
fotovult

Hi Fotovult,

I always do my text in Photoshop and then use the created jpgs in Booksmart with no problems. The only text I do direct is the copyright statement, inside jacket and the spine as I can’t do that with a jpg. I noticed that on my last book the jacket text which I had created in blue came out much darker than I wanted. Text produced in Photoshop will come out the colour you create it.

Louis 

Posted by
PhotoLouis
Sep 12, 2007 12:25pm PDT
PhotoLouis

Thanks Louis – since you have the experience – does it work ok with small font sizes? What about any fringing on the characters?

Chris

Posted by
fotovult
Sep 12, 2007 1:20pm PDT
fotovult

Chris

I’ve not had any problems in the past. I haven’t done a lot of text with Blurb but the things I have produced with Lulu have been fine at various sizes and the printing process is not dissimilar. I often put shadow effects o, again with no problems. Here is a link to a copy of my latest book cove, the text came out exactly how you see it in the photo.

Louis 

Posted by
PhotoLouis
Sep 13, 2007 11:18am PDT
PhotoLouis

Regarding the request for information of predesigned templates with overlapping photos. There are tons of these in out there and you can run into them by looking for “Digital Scrapbook Designers”. They offer “templates” which are typically greyscale layered .psd files that help you create layouts and often include layered photos. They require more skill and also a supply of backgrounds and elements. They also often have predesigned layouts created for publishing and these are referred to as “quick pages”, “quick sticks”, or albums”. These require less skill, but, are also less flexible. The are created in a particular size and you need to use them in that size or at least watch the the proportions if you are resizing them. For example, are they laid out to be square? In addition, more are coming out with “FotoFrames”, “Clusters” which are various groupings of photo holders and elements, etc. that you can move around and, therefore, have more flexibility in your final layout and in your printed size. They have transparent openings for photos and transparent backgrounds. They are a nice compromise between “templates” and “quick pages” and can add a little spice and variety to your layouts.

Here’s an example of one of the latest ones that I have designed:

http://renderedmemories.com/shop/images/large/RDACH_AutumnalFrames3_L.jpg

Roberta
www.renderedmemories.com

Posted by
renderedmems
Oct 2, 2007 6:26pm PDT
renderedmems