Tips and Tricks

Locked TAB SETTING

I would like to know how to set the tab half of its present setting.

What is the correct tab setting for a book? 

Posted by
berdugoed
Sep 8, 2008 4:14pm PDT
berdugoed

Hi there

As you’ve probably discovered, Booksmart won’t allow you to set custom tab settings.  Booksmart can do a lot more with text than in previous versions, but not that.

As for standard tab/indent settings, a google search for those terms should bring some results. 

Posted by
mikewhy
Sep 9, 2008 4:45pm PDT
mikewhy Icon_staff

I’m having trouble with this too. The tab/indent setting is double what I would like for my book. Especially when columns are not very wide. I’ve been using multiple spaces to get around this, but that causes a bug where the text on that line pushes out the right side of the column if it is ‘justified’. I know the layouts of Booksmart were designed by an artist, and I think they are great, but I’m an artist too and this is frustrating for me. I’m going to end up forcing it to work somehow with spaces.

Posted by
ccording
Feb 16, 2009 11:15pm PDT
ccording

Here Here!  I totally agree. I am layout out a 400 page novel and it looks ridiculous!  I would also like a half-size tab indent… or as you said, a fix for the problem when you use spaces for indentation (was going with 4 spaces til I saw how stupid it looked).  I am reluctant to print it while it looks like this.

Hopefully someone at blurb can address this problem for us soon.

Posted by
ChannyG
May 18, 2010 5:44am PDT
ChannyG

I think that you can get around this problem by setting your tabs to Blurb size (I use either .18 or .25 for a 5×8 book) before you open it in Blurb.

Lew

Posted by
Lewking2
Sep 10, 2010 12:09pm PDT
Lewking2

I’m wrong. When I set my tabs in my word docunent to .25 and moved the document into Blurb it lost the paragraph indents.

Lew

Posted by
Lewking2
Sep 11, 2010 1:48pm PDT
Lewking2

When I trransfer my Word document to Blurb I lose all paragraph indents. I would prefer a wide indent to no indent but I don’t get any indent. How do I get a paragraph indent?

Lew

Posted by
Lewking2
Sep 13, 2010 6:54am PDT
Lewking2

I may be able to help. I too am producing some novels and have discovered that before transferring from word PLEASE clear all formatting. Then transfer your book to the blurb programme. I then read my book, page by page and as I read I use my space bar three indents to indicate a new paragraph or speach. At each chapter I then highlight the chapter and go justify. For me, it works wonderfully. I have also noticed you need to be patient because Blurb needs time to think! Three indents is a general acceptance in the bookk industry for novels. Warning! When you have done this, do not try to go back and alter because Blurb gets confused. So make sure when you read your chapters one by one, you are happy with what you have written.

Posted by
levitybrown
Sep 18, 2010 9:15am PDT
levitybrown

can  you give me some pointers on how to do images  like for the cover ? Id apprechiate it

Posted by
sk30143
Nov 28, 2010 8:31am PDT
sk30143

levitybrown is right.

I’m working on a 150 page novel. Imported from Word and got no tabs, as stated in the Help section of Booksmart. Went through and manually tabbed each paragraph, resulting in the ridiculously large tabs discussed here.

Then I tried using just the space bar. It looked better, but the indentations weren’t aligned. I couldn’t live with that.

I’m on a Mac, so I don’t know what’s comparable with Windows. But what I did was to copy everything from Word, past it into Text Edit, select all, and convert to plain text. Then I tabbed each paragraph in Text Edit, and copied and pasted into BookSmart.

It worked perfectly. In fact if it’s done that way, additional tabbing in Booksmart even gives you normal tabs.

Booksmart is frustrating and quirky and illogical in so many ways. But it still does a good job if you baby it.

Posted by
schroedpot
Mar 15, 2011 7:02am PDT
schroedpot

I spoke too soon. The method described above does work to decrease the humongous paragraph indent provided by Booksmart.

The problem is that the first line of every paragraph will not be justified.

So it comes down to a judgement toss up; either you live with huge paragraph indents or first lines that aren’t justified. To me the second still looks better.

Posted by
schroedpot
Mar 27, 2011 4:51pm PDT
schroedpot