Tips and Tricks

Locked A removable cover with flaps on a hardcover imagewrap book. Is it possible ?

I have a hardcover imagewrap book and I’d like to have also a removable cover over it with  flaps. Is it possible to order it ? Why is the removable cover only included with the dustjacket book ? I don’t see any reason ???

Posted by
ourse
Sep 29, 2008 4:37am PDT
ourse

I’m afraid that a seperate dustjacket for the imagewrap books is not an option.  Many have voiced a desire for this option, but no word (that I recall) from Blurb yet on whether or not it is being considered as a feature sometime in the future.

Posted by
rbgool
Sep 29, 2008 3:12pm PDT
rbgool

I agree with Regina with her observation.

I would think it is fair to say – only if you provide a feedback in directly with Blurb through email support – through Feedback contact form. I am pretty sure that Blurb team would be delighted to receive feedback or such support from Blurbarians like yourself, among others, to namely a few.

Hope that helps!
Cheers, Brian, a passionate Blurbarian

Posted by
brianbonitz
Sep 29, 2008 4:45pm PDT
brianbonitz

Hi,

rbgool is correct. An ImageWrap cover along with a dust jacket is not an option at this point. But we’ve heard from a lot of Blurbarians who really want this feature. So, I am here to tell you that ordering a dust jacket separate from your book is something we are considering to offer in the future.

This is not one of those flip-of-a-switch requests though. An option like this requires a lot of work with and standardization needed across all of our printers, which must be tested thoroughly before a public release.So, suffice it to say, this is not something you’ll be seeing this year, but something that is definitely on the table to be considered for next year.

Hope this helps.

– Kathy

Posted by
kathybad
Sep 29, 2008 4:46pm PDT
kathybad

Thanks for the update Kathy!  I wasn’t sure if that had been mentioned before or not. 

Posted by
rbgool
Sep 29, 2008 4:51pm PDT
rbgool

Thanks Kathy for the answer. So now we just have to wait … and I think we are a lot !  But I don’t understand why it is so complicated for Blurb to have an agreement with printers for those famous dust jackets we long for as it is the same type Blurb already offers with other books ? But well … you’re the one on business …

Posted by
ourse
Oct 6, 2008 1:10am PDT
ourse

Not just Image Wrap.

Dust jackets are normally used as a way of marketing photographic books.

I’d like to see Blurb provide for ordering extra dust jackets when ordering all books that have them  :-)   Basic.

P

Posted by
peteshep
Oct 12, 2008 7:51pm PDT
peteshep

Any update on this subject please?

Bob

Posted by
poshbob
Jun 13, 2009 3:26pm PDT
poshbob

Hi,

We know that a lot of people would really like to have this option. Unfortunately, it’s not on our roadmap for 2009 at this time. If that changes, we’ll let you know. 

– Kathy

Posted by
kathybad
Jun 13, 2009 4:51pm PDT
kathybad

Just out of interest Kathy, exactly why don’t you do this – to me, it’s the most obvious combination for a hardback book to have the same dust jacket and it would probably be the most popular combination among book-makers?

You produce imagewrap hardbacks and you produce dust jackets – is it really that much of a stretch to have the same image file printed on both?

I really don’t get it.

Cheers

Bob

Posted by
poshbob
Jun 17, 2009 1:51pm PDT
poshbob

That was what I was expecting when I ordered the hardbacks with the dust  jackets… was so dissapointed.

so now, i just get the image wrap. 

Posted by
xam2x
Jun 30, 2009 5:05pm PDT
xam2x

Add me to the list of people who feel this would be an invaluable option!

Posted by
rcbraun
Aug 28, 2009 1:07pm PDT
rcbraun

I think different printers print the image wrap books and the dust jacket books.  Blurb would need one printer who prints both in order to make it possible.  They won’t/don’t/can’t do that right now.

Posted by
friend1979
Aug 30, 2009 7:30pm PDT
friend1979

The easiest thing for you to do (at this point) is to have the dust jacket printed by a local printing company.   In my area most of the print houses that do printing for architects & engineers (used to be called blueprints, though everyone has gone to xerox) have color printers & can do large size, one-off printing.   You’ll need to create the cover in Photoshop or a similar graphic design software as though you are doing a PDF to book layout, that info can be found elsewhere on this site

Posted by
vwrabbit
Sep 22, 2009 7:54am PDT
vwrabbit

I agree with everyone that I am looking forward to the day that I can order an image wrap book with a dust cover! Please Blurb people figure it out! We will all love it I promise! :)

Posted by
jessicak
Jan 21, 2010 11:02am PDT
jessicak

I have now created 2 books with Blurb (both hard covers with dust jackets) but it would be so good to have the option of purchasing extra dust jackets for when the originals get a little tatty, as they always do over time. Why can’t this be an option for those of us who prefer hardback/dust jacket books as the dust jacket printing is done anyway when we order our books. Surely it can’t be that difficult to print a couple of spare ones if we ordered them at the same time we ordered the books?

Posted by
rrusty49
Jan 21, 2010 5:16pm PDT
rrusty49

It’s a long time from firts message about this in Sept. 2009.  Should be 2010 the year when dust jackets y image wraps will offer togheher?

Image wrap lucks luster, and dust jackets are too weak.  Both together is the solution!!

many of us are waitting for the deal!

Thanks a lot!

Posted by
mva5151
Feb 21, 2010 6:21am PDT
mva5151

I would like this also….already one of my book jackets is getting a bit ragged from use…..

Posted by
LeanneSue
May 27, 2010 12:00am PDT
LeanneSue

I, too, am interested in ordering dust jackets for my hardcover image wrap books. It only makes sense that it would be an option. Most commercial children’s books that I purchase come with both.

Posted by
nelsdrums
Jul 12, 2010 7:27am PDT
nelsdrums

This is a good idea!

Posted by
koolkat
Jul 12, 2010 5:36pm PDT
koolkat

The only solution I have found is to spend a lot more money and buy a dust jacket book, just for the dust jacket, and use it on an image wrapped book.

Longing for the day when Blurb works this issue out. Maybe they could at least offer a printing discount for us that want to order two?

Posted by
jdurling
Oct 19, 2010 9:42am PDT
jdurling

I too want an image wrap AND dust jacket with the option to buy additional dust jackets when the original gets messed up.  My work around is to send my cover image to SAMs photo and make it myself.

Posted by
tarably
Oct 22, 2010 9:54am PDT
tarably

I would like image wrap and a dust jacket for my books.

Posted by
Pochoir
Oct 29, 2010 7:02am PDT
Pochoir