Tips and Tricks

Locked ISBN CODE

I AM GOING TO ASK FOR AN ISBN CODE.

IS THIS CODE NECESSARY FOR EACH NEW BOOK (FOR EACH NEW TITLE) ?  OR ONCE YOU HAVE ONE ISBN YOU CAN USE IT FOR MORE NEW TITLES?

THOUGHT …. DEFINITELYIT WOULD BE NICE IF BLURB COULD OFFER THIS KIND OF SERVICE.

I WOULD LOVE TO PAY  FOR A FULL PACKAGE OF SERVICES: DESIGN , PRINT PLUS ISBN CODE FOR THE SELLING ON BOOKSTORES.

IT WOULD BE REALLY COOL ! ... AND A OF COURSE GOOD OPPORTUNITY FOR BLURB AS ADDED VALUE

mC

Posted by
massimoconti
Aug 30, 2007 3:33am PDT
massimoconti

As far as I am aware a new ISBN code is needed for each new title or edition of.

e.g. one title = one ISBN number.  Same title in hardback and softback editions = two ISBN numbers.

Steve.

Posted by
S_Street
Aug 30, 2007 5:44am PDT
S_Street

Hi Steve

Thank you very much 
Did you have any experience with ISBN  providers ?

Any suggestion ?

I was reading on blurb.com that they are going to offer this kind of service but still is not clear about  a date.

massimo

Posted by
massimoconti
Aug 30, 2007 8:57am PDT
massimoconti

WWW.ISBN.ORG.  Be sure to read their warning about unauthorized sellers of individual numbers.  Only your publisher should assign ISBN’s from their block of numbers.  These are 10 for $270 and $25 each for bar code. 

Kathy

Posted by
PAMAMA
Aug 30, 2007 11:27am PDT
PAMAMA

http://www.isbn-us.com/ - here’s another possibility that says they include the bar code.  I’m checking this one out myself.

Kathy

Posted by
PAMAMA
Aug 30, 2007 11:35am PDT
PAMAMA

Basically ISBN numbers are for selling your book because book stores and such require them. To get your book actually catalogued with the Library of Congress, you’ll need a Bookland EAN with a UPC is the best.

And on another not, once an ISBN associated block of numbers has been assigned to someone by the ISBN Agency, that person or company can assign ISBNs to publications it holds rights to. However, after the ISBN Agency assigns ISBNs to a specific person or place, that person or place cannot resell, re-assign, transfer, or split its list of numbers among other people. These guidelines have long been established to ensure the accuracy and continued use of the international ISBN standard.

Posted by
qwiss13
Aug 30, 2007 1:05pm PDT
qwiss13

I found this on the Blurb blog. Have a look… 

The International ISBN Agency explains the <font color="#00adef">uses of an ISBN number</font> and provides a free, handy <font color="#00adef">ISBN user manual</font> spelling out all the juicy numeric details. OK, so maybe not so juicy… here’s the abridged version: As of January 2007, ISBNs need to be 13 numbers (with tens of thousands of books published annually, the world was running out of 10-digit numbers) and should be included on the back cover with a scanable bar code. Apparently the number should be “eye-readable” — as opposed to, what, nose-readable? But you get the idea.

So how do you get your very own ISBN number? Until recently, it wasn’t easy – the U.S. ISBN broker, <font color="#fd7820">Bowker</font>, sold numbers in blocks of at least 10, as did most international ISBN brokers. Authors would get together and buy blocks of numbers and matching barcodes at a price that came out to about $50 per ISBN-barcode combo. But as Kevin Kelly explains in his <font color="#fd7820">indispensable Cool Tools</font> blog, you can actually <font color="#fd7820">get a single ISBN number</font> from Bowker: Call them at 877-310-7333, select voicemail option #4, and request a faxed application to get a single ISBN number for $125. For application details and info on selling your book on Amazon, consult <font color="#fd7820">Kevin’s post</font> on the subject. (And before you ask: Currently Blurb doesn’t offer ISBN services, but we’re looking into it.) 

Once you’ve got your ISBN number, you can include it in your Blurb book. Add a jpeg of your barcode to your image library, then drag and drop it onto the back cover. (You can take your pick of back cover layouts in the layout menu in the upper left of BookSmart.) You can also type your ISBN number on the copyright page opposite your title page for a most official look. 

Or if you prefer, you can create your own fancy back cover PDF with your ISBN bar code on a white background (for “eye-readability”) anywhere but the lower right corner (a tracking code goes there). Save your cover as a jpeg or png, then upload it to your image library. Choose a full-bleed layout for your back cover, then drag and drop your back cover image where it belongs. Nice, eh? A couple of Blurbarians have already done this, and it looks mighty sharp.

Posted by
massimoconti
Aug 30, 2007 2:49pm PDT
massimoconti

TO Panama

Hi Kathy,
Any development on your demand for ISBN ?
Everything ok?

Posted by
massimoconti
Sep 3, 2007 12:27pm PDT
massimoconti

Hi All

today I got the ISBN and Bar code in a few hours at

<font color="#fd7820">http://www.isbn-us.com/</font>this is the best service on the NET.

The service is excellent !!

mC

Posted by
massimoconti
Sep 4, 2007 11:47am PDT
massimoconti

Is anyone familar with knowing how to remove the blurb icon?

Posted by
Coquielle
Sep 4, 2007 6:10pm PDT
Coquielle

Hi Coquielle – I believe Allison answered your question in another thread, but here’s the info again in cased you missed it. Information on our Custom Logo Upgrade is here and more hands-on info is here.

Posted by
kathybad
Sep 5, 2007 1:05pm PDT
kathybad

Hi All,

I talked with isbn-us.com and they provide the ISBN single with a barcode for $55 in an *.eps (encapsulated post script, I believe) but I don’t know how to conver to *.jpg for insertion in my book.  I’m going to go ahead and get my sample and decide on the rest later.  Thanks for alll your comments.

Posted by
PAMAMA
Sep 6, 2007 11:31am PDT
PAMAMA

Hi I also got an ISBN barcode from isbn-us.com but I can’t figure out how to convert it to a small jpeg either? any suggestions? I have tried several things so far such as opening the file in MS word and then pasting into powerpoint and saving as jpeg but the picture comes out so huge in blurb that I cant make it fit on the cover in booksmart, help!

Thanks,

Sasha

Posted by
snark8
Sep 18, 2007 2:26pm PDT
snark8

Can anyone tell me what is Bookland and what is Bookland EAN?  It appears that Panama and Sasha resolved the code, but is it necessary, or good, to get the Bookland EAN, also?

Dave 

Posted by
richdavid
Sep 22, 2007 12:23pm PDT
richdavid

Just a clarification on what has already been said. Part of the ISBN number is assigned by the ISBN agency (e.g. Bowker) and part of it by the publisher. If you are going to publish two or more books, the publisher string stays the same and YOU assign the individual book number. Imagine if a large publisher had to back to a central agency each time they wanted to publish a book! Nearly impossible to handle. This is why the publisher gets to assign the item (individual book) number.

While we’re discussing ISBN, you should also look into the CIP or Cataloging in Publication method. When you open almost any book today, you will see a cataloging entry somewhere around the title page. This is a method to insert into the book the cataloging information that the Library of Congress would normally handle. They had the vision to outsource this chore to the publishers and there is no reason why you should not take advantage of it. For more info, just Google it.

Posted by
glaszlo
Sep 28, 2007 6:18pm PDT
glaszlo

Does any one knows what to do when your books have already been asigned a ISBN by a publisher that has gone under and no longer trading. Can you still use the same ISBN previously asigned by that publisher. Can you use them again in a Blurb publication? or you need a new one? Thanks

Posted by
milancito
Oct 11, 2010 4:43am PDT
milancito

will be great if Blurb get ISBN option integrated into booksmart. It seems to be one of the real stumbling blocks for getting books sold!

Posted by
cinemateus
Oct 15, 2010 10:58am PDT
cinemateus

In Canada ISBN numbers are free. Go to this site;

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/ciss-ssci/app/index.php?&lang=eng

Good luck

Doug

Posted by
douglangley
Oct 23, 2010 12:18pm PDT
douglangley

I’m filling in a form for a set of ISBN numbers for the UK and it asks for the publishing address of Blurb + their telephone number and email and I can’t find this anywhere. As I am applying for UK numbers don’t I need Blurb’s UK address?

Posted by
clemypix
Dec 5, 2010 10:10am PDT
clemypix

MY interpretation of the UK  (and probably other)  ISBN rules are that YOU are the publlisher and Blurb is the printer.

Though I’m open to arguments otherwise.

…..Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Dec 5, 2010 1:07pm PDT
tfrankland

ISBN= international static bar number

There is always one isbn for one title . That’s all. I’m knowing only this and nothing else.

Thanks for starting this cool thread.

Posted by
simon12345
Dec 9, 2010 2:45am PDT
simon12345