Tips and Tricks

Locked ISBN and Amazon.com

Once we have the ISBN code what we have to do for selling on amazon and other bookstores?

how to manage any eventual order ?

Posted by
massimoconti
Sep 3, 2007 2:06pm PDT
massimoconti

massimoconti – We’ve had a few people add ISBN numbers to their books and I believe they’ve sold them off their blogs and Web sites. As for ISBN numbers, distributions with Amazon and other bookstores, if others have done this with Blurb books, we would love to hear from them. 

Posted by
kathybad
Sep 5, 2007 1:10pm PDT
kathybad

The instructions for Amazon and Barnes and Noble are both on their site.  I believe it’s filed under authors or something like that.  Sorry for the generalization, but I only glanced through the instructions to see if I could do it.

Kathy

Posted by
PAMAMA
Sep 6, 2007 11:34am PDT
PAMAMA

Self publishing details on Amazon website

Posted by
peterahl
Dec 26, 2009 1:27am PDT
peterahl

I’m working with a photographer currently who will distribute on Amazon.
If you use Amazon’s CreateSpace, they print your books. You can’t use Blurb or anyone else. CreateSpace is mainly printing b&w books. When they print in full color it is on uncoated paper, so don’t expect anything near the quality of Blurb.

Better to use “Amazon Advantage” at https://www.amazon.com/gp/seller-account/mm-product-page.html?topic=200329780&ld=AZAdvanMakeM

Now the issue will be the price point. Be careful you’re not spending more to print than you can sell the books for…

William
206-854-1148

Posted by
wiliamhoard
Dec 30, 2009 1:11pm PDT
wiliamhoard

williamhoard has hit the nail perfectly. I just crunched the numbers and this will not work. Even if you have an ISBN and barcode, Amazon (amazon advantage) wants a  wholesale price which is 55% reduction on the retail price you sell for on Blurb. Blurb does not have the eyeballs that Amazon has ……..and leaves the promotion entirely to you. This is impossible. Does anyone see a work arround? It just looks to me like you cannot make any money after Blurb abd Amazon are paid.

Posted by
chateaumaule
Jan 4, 2010 9:39pm PDT
chateaumaule

Check out Bowker. If you buy your isbn/barcode from them they own Books in Print where bookstores and libraries search their listing to gets books for their stores.

Many resources on Bowker for promoting your book as a self publisher.

www.booksinprint.com

www.isbn.org

www.bowker.com

www.myidentifiers.com

www.bowkerlink.com

Posted by
EvangelistET
Jan 5, 2010 1:02am PDT
EvangelistET

BTW, Barnes & Nobles, Borders, and Powell’s Books uses Bowker’s  Books In Print. This is goo promo, and it would seem if your title in listed in Bowker’s Books In Print , I would say, this is a major listing over Amazon….

Posted by
EvangelistET
Jan 5, 2010 1:19am PDT
EvangelistET

I would NOT recommend "Amazon Advantage" in conjunction with Blurb.com. It is not cost effective (as chateaumaule pointed out). I would use Amazon’s Seller Services instead, but make sure you price accordingly to include Amazon’s fees (just like ebay). Just be careful, as Amazon has a STRICT POLICY on shipping items QUICKLY, and will terminate your account with them if you do not ship accordingly.

One pitfall to Amazon Seller Services though, is that "you" have to cover all costs of purchasing and shipping the items UP-FRONT. Amazon re-imburses you later from the money collected from the customer (minus their fees).

Here’s the link to Amazon’s Seller Services: http://www.amazonservices.com/content/sell-on-amazon.htm?id=hm2&ld=SESTSOAGOOBrand11023577

Posted by
ayfkm2010
Jan 5, 2010 8:56pm PDT
ayfkm2010

Here is some information that may be of interest for those who wish to sell their books trhough Barnes and Noble.

Email: PublisherAuthorInquiry@BN.com

Phone: (732) 656-7285 .. Publisher Service

Customer Services for more information; US – 1-800- 843-2665 ; International – (201) 559-3882

webiste: www.Barnesandnoble.com/help/cds2.asp?PID=8148

Hope I got everything correct in the web addres. Here you will find Publisher & Author Guidelines (to your left of the page) for submitting your book (s) to be sold through B&N in their online bookstores. And PLEASE don’t forget to read the FAQ section.

Also, there is a Self Publishing Expo coming this year that may be of interest to someone.

Email for information about up coming expo dates, time, and places for 2010: info@selfpubbookexpo.com

Phone: (212) 353-3478

Posted by
EvangelistET
Jan 5, 2010 10:13pm PDT
EvangelistET

How do we get an ISBN #? Through Blurb or through the ISBN website?

Posted by
deekzee
Feb 14, 2010 10:33am PDT
deekzee

Hi Dee,

Go to the web address I posted above to get your isbn/barcode. www.myidentifiers.com or www.browker.com they will also give you info as to how to add your isbn/barcode to your book.

ella

Posted by
EvangelistET
Feb 14, 2010 2:39pm PDT
EvangelistET

just click on the above web adresses…

Posted by
EvangelistET
Feb 14, 2010 2:41pm PDT
EvangelistET

I still don´t have it very clear if you HAVE TO apply for ISBN at your national agency (mine is Spain) or if there is a way to apply in USA? Because the waiting time in my country is more than one and a half months now!

Posted by
physi28
Apr 17, 2010 11:48am PDT
physi28

The correct ISBN website is www.bowker.com<!--Session data-->

Posted by
ayfkm2010
Apr 25, 2010 8:16pm PDT
ayfkm2010

The cost is $125 for 1 ISBN and $150 for an ISBN with a barcode (you can always generate your own barcode later if you know how).<!--Session data-->

Posted by
ayfkm2010
Apr 25, 2010 8:18pm PDT
ayfkm2010

You can order a block of 10 ISBN’s from Bowker for $250, which is more cost-effective, if you need several. Bar codes are $25 each, unless you go to the place that does them free.
I cannot remember the link…

Posted by
physmith
Sep 22, 2010 7:26pm PDT
physmith

CreateSpace creates poor quality books. I just got a sample from them. I am going to try Lulu but I suspect their quality will be better but not as good as Blurbs. Lulu will distribute for you and yes it costs, but you get into many markets and have a higher chance of exposure and sells.

Why isn’t Blurb going into distribution like Lulu?
Blurb are you listening? Use Lulu’s business model.

There is a big need there for high quality books. (e.g. Photo, art, cooking, and children’s illustrative books).
Posted by
bd5588
Jul 18, 2011 1:05pm PDT
bd5588

Hi bd5588,

Wow. You have found a 3.5-year-old forums post. I appreciate people are still very interested in doing ISBNs with Blurb and I can stay that adding this service is definitely on our radar. We are cooking up a lot of things behind the scenes and it’s hard to say when it might become a reality. Don’t count on it for 2011, but stay tuned for a lot of other things.

And thanks for bringing this up. I’ve gone ahead and locked this post because of age. Feel free to continue this discussion in a new thread.  

– Kathy

Posted by
kathybad
Jul 19, 2011 2:09am PDT
kathybad