Tips and Tricks

Creating pages outside of Blurb

Hi everyone,

This website was referred to me by a co-worker to create wedding books as gifts for our parents.  I’m very satisified with the result of my co-workers book, however they did not create their pages in Blurb, rather they used In-Design. 

Unfortunately I don’t have access to In-Design, but I do have Photoshop 6.0(?)  If I opt to create my pages and upload them, do you simply create the entire page as one single .jpeg file and upload that "page" as a single image into the book?

Any hints/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks.

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
balow34
Dec 10, 2008 2:43pm PDT
balow34

that sounds about right!

Posted by
sherijphoto
Dec 10, 2008 7:15pm PDT
sherijphoto

Just in case you haven’t spotted it there’s a FAQ on this.

http://blurb.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/blurb.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=161

The key is to make sure the JPEGs are high quality and the right pixel size (or the right inch size & 300dpi) for the full bleed page in your size of book.

If you have a lot of text on the page, or you are using small fonts or fonts with serifs I’d recommend exporting from PS as .PNG rather than .JPG. PNG’s compression algorithm is better than JPEG in that situation, you will be less likley to get jaggies in the text. (A search of the forums for PNG would list a number of threads  on this topic).

.......Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Dec 11, 2008 1:01am PDT
tfrankland

link with error

Posted by
Douph
Apr 8, 2013 5:54am PDT
Douph

This is a very old thread.  The link is probably long gone.

Posted by
deanej
Apr 8, 2013 2:31pm PDT
deanej

Not too surprising since it is over 4 years since I made that post, a lot of changes have taken place in the Blurb website since 2008.

I’ve just spent ten frustrating minutes searching the FAQs and Knowledge Base to try and track down that FAQ but without initial success. But eventually found that it has been encapsulated in a Tutorial.

Go to the Tips and Tutorials item under the HELP menu on the right of this page and scroll down the tips and Tutorials section, you’ll find one with the title "How to import your custom design into BookSmart"

…..Tony

p.s. the rest of my suggestions in that post are still valid, even after 4 years.

Posted by
tfrankland
Apr 8, 2013 2:34pm PDT
tfrankland

Tfrankland,

I have been reading most of the blogs and I am hearing a lot of negative comments.  My friend Mark, recently passed away from cancer and I am over at Heritage Makers and was thinking about coming here to make my book.  Do you think I can get a quality book here rather than Heritage Makers?  It is important I make the right decision because this means a lot to me and the family.  Also, it is a big project and I really do not want to be let down.

Your books look great on here, are they true to the real McCoy?  Looking for guidance since I am new, I would really appreciate your input.  I have 500 pictures and would like to get a 200 page 13×11, with wrap image, I am not sure what the best paper would be to request?  Also, I am using photoshop.  I understand I need to convert the images to the SRGB is that correct?

I hope to hear from you, thank you.

Kind regards,

Aaron 

Posted by
AMLFILMS
Apr 16, 2013 6:16am PDT
AMLFILMS