Tips and Tricks

annoying problemes with copy and paste

Hello, I really need your help.

I am starting some photo and poetry books with my girlfriend.

she writes poetry in hebrew and we want to make books with her poetry and my pictures.

But the BIG BIG problem is that we cannot copy and paste poetry from word to booksmart. When I try, booksmart closes with an error message and i can’t go back to this book..

Does anybody have a feedback or an experience with this kind of problem? Is the solution to write it again in the pages?.

Thank you, we really want to create these books.

Sylvain

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
sylvital
Jan 19, 2009 4:07am PDT
sylvital

Sylvain – Many people are experiencing the same problem. Formating text in Booksmart is a difficulty. Other people have posted similar complaints in the “Book Design & Imaging” and “BookSmart” sections.

Sorry I don’t have an answer for you, Blurb says they are working on it.

Posted by
Fabini
Jan 19, 2009 7:36am PDT
Fabini

Sylvain,

can I suggest you get in touch with Blurb staff to get help on this one (if you haven’t already)?

Go to Search FAQs and you will see a heading of EMAIL SUPPORT on the RHS, under that you will see Technical Support. They’ll help you get over this problem.

.......Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Jan 19, 2009 8:24am PDT
tfrankland

I am back home, I lost a book because I tried to write in hebrew.. I cannot open it again.. What a pity.

Posted by
sylvital
Jan 19, 2009 12:10pm PDT
sylvital

Sylvain, did you get in touch with Blurb?

......Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Jan 19, 2009 2:09pm PDT
tfrankland

Create the pages in Photoshop or Elements and do all your text work there.  Save a jpg copy and import into BookSmart as full bleed page.

Mike

Posted by
Charybdis
Jan 19, 2009 2:44pm PDT
Charybdis

If you follow Mike’s advice about creating your pages in PhotoShop (or similar) then make sure you save pages with text as .PNG files and not .JPG files; and watch the font size… PNG provides better rendition than JPEG

Cheers;

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Jan 20, 2009 2:24am PDT
lkb-28

I sometime copy from MS Word to Notepad and from there to BookSmart – it takes out the MS Word formating but it leaves the text. So when I paste it to BookSmart it uses / applies the BookSmart styles.

Have you tried this?

Posted by
BostonClick
Jan 20, 2009 12:24pm PDT
BostonClick

thank you for all your advices, i will try all of them..

I did not get in touch with blurb yet, i just sent error report when it broke down.

i just tried to copy and paste french text and it was ok.. I only got this problem with copying hebrew.. I tried the notepad way but it was the same.

Posted by
sylvital
Jan 20, 2009 12:48pm PDT
sylvital

Sylvain,

I’ve been perusing the FAQs for you and it appears that BookSmart doesn’t support Hebrew or other right to left languages. You’ll find the details here…..

http://blurb.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/blurb.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=68

.......Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Jan 20, 2009 1:17pm PDT
tfrankland

Thank you Tony

that is the solution, use a png and put it in booksmart. At least i got one.

I hope the next version will allow to write in hebrew.. my girlfriend has a ton of poetry that she wants to publish.

Posted by
sylvital
Jan 20, 2009 1:45pm PDT
sylvital