Tips and Tricks

Can you RE-WORK a book & publish it a second time?

I’ve had several books published and am very satisfied with the results.

However, I’m curious:  since the BookSmart is still available to me and I could edit it, could I make some changes & re-submit the book?  It sure would make it easier than beginning another book with the improvements.  Anybody ever do this???

Coralynn

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
coralynn
Jan 21, 2009 9:33am PDT
coralynn

No problems at all in doing this Coralynn! I’ve done it a number of times creating personalised versions of one of my books rather than just ordering 7 the same.

The only thing to be aware of is when you come to publish the revised version Blurb will treat it as a brand new book. so you will need to purchase a copy within the normal 15 days for it to stay on the Blurvb server.

Also, if the book has the same title as the previous version, it will be difficult to tell which version is which when you look at your books on Blurb.com. After I published a new version I went into My Books then Edit Book Summary and added some notes in the description so I’d know which was which.

.......Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Jan 21, 2009 12:46pm PDT
tfrankland

<h1>Thanks, Tony.  I may just put 2nd Edition on the slightly different ones, or, as you suggested, put a new description in Book Summary. 
Anyway, it’s good to know it can be done.  Wahooo! </h1>

Coralynn

Posted by
coralynn
Jan 22, 2009 1:07pm PDT
coralynn

I’m wondering…when you do a second edition can you also change the size from standard lanscape to the larger landscape?

Bob S

Posted by
Bobpsutton
Jan 27, 2009 2:33pm PDT
Bobpsutton

You are out of luck Bob Frown

There is no easy way of converting a book from one size to another. The proportions are different and the set of templates for each book size is not the same. So your only option is to start again and recreate your book The only help BookSmart can give is under the File menu you will see New book with this photo library, that would save having to import all the photos into the new different size book but you’ll still have all the layout and text to redo.

.......Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Jan 28, 2009 1:22am PDT
tfrankland

Hi Tony, Does this mean that I would have to publish my book as a new book if I wanted to add a bar code and ISBN to it?

Malcolm

Posted by
stormwolf2
Mar 6, 2009 6:02pm PDT
stormwolf2

Yes you would Malcom. The same if you needed to correct a single spelling mistake in just one word.

......Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Mar 7, 2009 1:07am PDT
tfrankland

Thank you Tony, now I know!

Posted by
stormwolf2
Mar 7, 2009 3:06am PDT
stormwolf2

A variation:
I need to update my books with current material that changes at least monthly. e.g. photos, specs and features – not a completely new book.
The system currently makes me publish an entirely new book, and then I must go change all the promotional links that are scattered around our sites, and emails that we use to promote the book. Big PITA.
Can Blurb find a solution? It would help folks order more books. Now, if they use an out dated URL, they are dead-ended… and probably give up.

Posted by
erc3
Nov 28, 2009 2:32pm PDT
erc3

Have the URL just go to your bookstore page.  Then from there, they can click on which book they want.

Posted by
friend1979
Nov 28, 2009 6:29pm PDT
friend1979