Tips and Tricks

spiral binding

please! I need spiral binding! please help! help!!

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
snugglepup
Mar 10, 2009 12:38pm PDT
snugglepup

Blurb do not offer that as an option.

.......Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Mar 10, 2009 1:46pm PDT
tfrankland

You can have sprial binding done at any office supply store – but you will need to use your own software to create it (openoffice.org is free)  Once you create it you can make it into a pdf – burn a cd and stores like Office Max or Office Depot can print it from your cd and sprial bind it -  Blurb does not offer sprial binding

Posted by
Bebensee
Mar 12, 2009 7:42pm PDT
Bebensee

thay should…

Posted by
snugglepup
Mar 14, 2009 9:02am PDT
snugglepup

Neat idea!  Hope someone at Blurb gives the suggestion some considertation.

Rich

Posted by
RichCapeCod
Mar 28, 2009 8:25pm PDT
RichCapeCod

Spiral binding looks really cheap.  Are you sure you want this?

Jaybird

Posted by
Jaybird456
Apr 2, 2009 2:05pm PDT
Jaybird456

If one wants spiral binding, why don’t they go to an office supply store and purchase a spiral binder and make their own books?

Posted by
deanej
Apr 2, 2009 3:32pm PDT
deanej

Kinkos offers a nice thick black plastic spiral binding which I used to produce a book a few years ago. I put in a request over a year ago asking Blurb to offer spiral but they have never responded. I badly want to use BookSmart to create a cookbook but I refuse to do this because cookbooks should not be hard bound. It makes them very impractical to use. I’ve considered the sugestion of ordering a soft cover, tearing it apart then taking it to Kinkos for spiral binding but the cost is prohibitive.

Posted by
BrBerger
Jul 3, 2009 1:38pm PDT
BrBerger

I would also like spiral binding.  As a musician I would like to create a book of my original songs with photos and poetry added.  It is impractical to use a regularly bound book at the piano or on a music stand and I would love the professional finish that Blurb offers. :-)  Cathy

Posted by
kateajhardy
Jul 23, 2009 10:17pm PDT
kateajhardy

There are other ways of creating spiral bound books that still maintain a high quality.  If you create your music book in pdf format and take it to any office supply store they can print and sprial bind your book for you.  Ask for 28# or higher paper and you’ll be surprised at the quality.  I recently purchased my own spiral punch machine for $74 – and the combs were only $5.00/100.  It was easy to use and quick to do.

Posted by
Bebensee
Jul 26, 2009 5:15pm PDT
Bebensee

Like Terri I have a spiral binding/punching machine, it is great but doesn’t get used as often since I discovered Blurb but it is still used to roduce calendars each Christmas. I buy double sided photo paper for those and print on my Epson inkjet then use acrulic sheets to protect the covers., that works fine for books as well.

I spotted on Amazon that you can also buy double sided waterproof paper, that would be ideal for a cookbook for a messy cooker like me, just wipe clean afterwards.

The printing of these on my Epson is of a higher quality than Blurb’s books but it wouldn’t be too cost effective if you wanted lots of copies.

......Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Jul 27, 2009 6:03am PDT
tfrankland

Very true Tony – it’s not cost effective when you want multiple copies – but works great for those little home projects.  I use it a lot for making my workbooks.  I use a color code system on the covers that helps me distinguish certain catagories.  For instance I’ve come up with rgb color codes that I use all the time for photo colorization – instead of my old system of sticky notes all over the wall (ha ha) – and I added additional blanks so I can add to it.  I’ve also started using to keep my home printed copy of my Blurb books – works great for editing and I can lay it flat.  It’s one of those little things that makes life easier and more organized (if one can ever really be organized – ha ha)  I’m going to look for that waterproof paper – that sounds super – like you I’m a messy cook too!

Posted by
Bebensee
Jul 27, 2009 7:18am PDT
Bebensee

I do believe that Lulu.com offers spiral binding. I agree with Jaybird though. They look rather cheap… Sorry you can’t find that option on Blurb if that’s what you’re really looking for! Sending Blurb a "feedback form" would be an option if you want to be herd!

Good luck with your book project! :)

Sophie

www.sabookdesign.com

Posted by
sophieadd
Aug 21, 2009 10:24am PDT
sophieadd

I think spiral binding works great for some books that need to lay flat when opened.  I want to find a software that offers the spiral template for designing ad or promotional graphic for a spiral bound book.  Can anyone help me find a clip art or software with this function?

Thanks

Levet

Posted by
levet
Oct 23, 2010 9:11pm PDT
levet

Has anyone found a software that offers the SPIRAL TEMPLATE for designing a spiral bound book?  I, too, am very interested in this.   I prefer the spirals that are ‘metal’.  They are more handsome than the black plastic variety.  Help anyone?

Posted by
MiriamRuth
May 21, 2011 1:36am PDT
MiriamRuth

iPhoto on iMac offers spiral binding. And it has its own specific uses, it should not be criticized as "cheap". Apple print on high quality, thick, paper, has good covers, I recommend it.

Posted by
joyeuse
Aug 31, 2011 2:48pm PDT
joyeuse

Perhaps this is easier for all of us to understand if we think first about the objective and encourage Blurb or any of the other online providers to meet the need:

- Lays flat

- Has essentially all of the other things we love about you

There are two methods I know of: 

- Spiral, and as noted above, with the right coil or comb, cover, and, as always, design, it won’t look cheap.

- Lay-flat binding, which looks like a book and yet lays flat, from the first page to the last. Richard Saul Wurman used this for his USA Atlas in the ‘90s, which is where I first saw it, and it’s available today from select traditional binders.  (If someone knows of an online supplier, would love to hear about them.)

Do a search on "lay flat binding" and you’ll find several several threads where people have asked for this option.

Perhaps there are other methods.  

To the folks at Blurb, which one of these or others will you provide?

Posted by
leewright
Nov 3, 2011 6:41am PDT
leewright

I just emailed Blurb with a lay-flat/spiral binding request/wish. I wouldn’t care what method is used as long as it lays flat and still has a quality feel about it. I would definitely use it for cookbooks, instructional books, music and scrapbooking.  I have seen a number of spiral bound books that are then placed inside a hard cover so the spiral part is enclosed within the book (I’ll try to attach an image). That way titles can still be printed on the spine and it looks almost like a regular book when placed on a shelf.  I feel there is nothing cheap looking about this particular style of spiral/coil binding.  I’m sure it has a name, but I can’t seem to find the proper term.

Keep plugging away with requests to Blurb. I think if they ever decide to offer it, they will be glad they did.

Enclosed Spiral Binding

Posted by
Kaye_Adams
Jun 21, 2012 11:52am PDT
Kaye_Adams

Maybe the term is "casewrapped". Someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

Posted by
Kaye_Adams
Jun 21, 2012 12:21pm PDT
Kaye_Adams

Desperately needed…hope someone listens but I sometimes worry that there is NO HUMAN BEING at Blurb controls!

Posted by
bazunga
Jul 7, 2012 12:33pm PDT
bazunga

Bazunga, there are human beings at Blurb, though to be honest some of them are American. I know because I have met them at various events in the UK.

The forums are primarily aimed at users, such as you and I, helping each other with problems. ideas, moans, etc. If you want to contact Blurb staff re a suggestion or a problem you’d be better contacting them directly. If you are not sure how, go to the Help menu at the top or bottom of this web page and select Customer Support, from there select the Contact Support tab.

In the Uk inkylittlefingers (http://www.inkylittlefingers.co.uk/coil-bound-documents.php) do spiral bound books, so I am sure there will be other companies in the US and around the world that offer the same service.

…..Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Jul 7, 2012 1:33pm PDT
tfrankland

Looks like someone finally heard our request… although it wasn’t BLURB.  Shutterfly now offers spiralbound picture books. The spine is not encased but it is still better than nothing. Cookbooks here I come!!  http://www.shutterfly.com/photo-gifts/notebooks

Posted by
Kaye_Adams
May 2, 2013 2:31pm PDT
Kaye_Adams

I want to create a cookbook for a family member’s wedding. Spiral bindings at Kinkos or other places would look too cheap. Love the idea pictured above. Please BLURB, help us out! I would pay a premium for it!

Posted by
anupaharvey
Jun 9, 2014 9:28am PDT
anupaharvey

Many comments say that spiral binding looks cheap.
PLASTIC COMB binding looks cheap. Metal, spiral binding (many color options) looks great.
www.littlebigbay.com

Posted by
rosie
Aug 6, 2014 11:19am PDT
rosie