Tips and Tricks

Keeping the dust jacket ON the book

Hi all,

Does anyone have any tips/tricks for keeping the beautiful dust jacket on the book? I make full res photo albums for clients, and the dust jackets are gorgeous, but are always a pain while looking at the book, they will not stay on. Does anyone have experience with a certain product to protect the jacket and also to make it stay on the book?

BTW, Blurb, and all the staff that I have emailed with, you are the BEST!! Thank you for all that you do!

Candace

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
CandaceRocks
Sep 17, 2007 7:14am PDT
CandaceRocks

I cover all my hardback book covers with a jacket cover from Brodart. It keeps the covers on and also protects them from pretty much everything. I’ve never actually ordered them (I get them from my mom) but I just looked at one and it has this website:
www.shopbrodart.com
Good luck!

Posted by
elizahirschi
Sep 18, 2007 1:58pm PDT
elizahirschi

Thank you, elizahirschi!

I’ll check out that link right now. I think this is exactly what I’ve been looking for. :-)

Candace  

Posted by
CandaceRocks
Sep 21, 2007 4:19pm PDT
CandaceRocks

Glue Stick?  It’s not permanent and allows flexibility of opening and closing book.  Just a thought

Posted by
RodGregg
Sep 22, 2007 8:07am PDT
RodGregg

RodGregg,

I am not sure if Glue Stick a good idea. I am afraid that the idea of using Glue Stick’s sticky part itself actually do some major damage to book all together. You might want to keep the book’s quality remain intact and neat-only if it is being handle with care.

Posted by
brianbonitz
Sep 22, 2007 9:00am PDT
brianbonitz

I too was considering Brodart but they have been unresponsive as to which size product I should purchase for my 8×10 photobooks. Eliza, can you point me to the right product that works for your books?

Thanks, E

Posted by
emurks
Sep 24, 2007 11:44am PDT
emurks

The item number for the book covers that we use is #10-310-001. If you type that in the search box, it takes you to a page where you can order any size. For the 8×10 book, you would just need one that goes up to 8 inches high, but you could also get a bigger size and fold it down more to fit your book (although you do not want to go too big.) If you are doing a 10×8, you would need the size that fits at least up to 10 inches high. My mom buys the 8-10”H for smaller children’s picture books and most normal books, and the 10-14”H for large books. That pretty much covers most of our needs. The item number above is for the big rolls (we’ve got a big family and lots of books!) and I don’t know how you could order just a few, but I’m assuming you could find that somewhere on their website if you didn’t want so many. I have never looked at the instructions that come with the rolls, and I always have to have my mom remind me how to cover books, so I’m not sure how user friendly their instructions are. I hope that all made sense. Let me know if you need more clarification, although I don’t know much more than what I wrote above. They may have a different product that would suit your needs, but these covers have worked great for us- I still have most of my childhood books with the jackets intact.
Good Luck!

Posted by
elizahirschi
Sep 24, 2007 7:54pm PDT
elizahirschi

Candace,

I just went to Brodart on line and bought the "Just-A-Fold III", archival-quality book jacket covers. Minimum order: 25 at .37 cents each. I just made my first book and wanted to keep the cover picture in perfect shape as it is a Wedding album. 

Thanks for the help elizahirschi !

Posted by
AlohaLady
Sep 25, 2007 1:39pm PDT
AlohaLady