Tips and Tricks

TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT!!!!

I love Blurb. I have made many many books and love this product.

However, I find the text function of BookSmart to be very poor if you want to try to finesse the type. Really strange things happen with the size and leading. And the links from one text box to another acts strange most of the time.

I am hoping the new custom layouts might help. Apparently there are greater type controls. Has anyone found the latest version any better? Is text handling easier?

I am creating a fine art catalog and need proper typography. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
Spencer
Jun 8, 2009 7:18pm PDT
Spencer

Im having a very hard time with the text boxes as well.

1) performance issues.  Software responds slowly..sometimes minutes just to select font size

2) no way to specify font size, color, style for a text box in my personal page layouts. I have reselect all my font details each time I add text.

In my pages I have title boxes Georgia, white, 16pt; my picture text boxes are all palentino, white, 12pt.  I should be able to specify this style as default.  If I was able to do that I could literally save days!  Last night it took me 2 hours to add 100 workds on 8 pages.  1 hour 50 minutes was waiting for BookSmart to allow me to change font style, font size from 9 to 12, block to white color text, etc.  But I had to change the font info almost every time.

It would be something akin to specifying font info for headings and subheadings. Once they are set, I should not have to visit the font menu unless I want to center/left/right or do alignment.

Posted by
nn55nn
Sep 15, 2009 6:15pm PDT
nn55nn

Hey there! I confirm even if I sound a bit luckier about the timing, that this doesn’t make sense to have such a damn soft to work with… this is really not acceptable. I can’t understand how the staff doesn’t do nothing about that cause it is mainly important.

Posted by
POLAGRAPHER
Sep 19, 2009 10:48am PDT
POLAGRAPHER

I have to agree – is it so hard to allow you to set a font at the start of the job instead of having to start over each and every time you want to write – I do not like the set font…

Posted by
rosej
Nov 6, 2009 3:22pm PDT
rosej

I was really hoping a solution would have been figured out for this issue by now.  I also find it can take literally minutes for me to be able to change the font.  I am creating a blog to book book and it has over 100 pages.  I now have to change font, font size, and color for every single page! The highlight function is also greatly lacking.   As it’s taken so long I have not gotten very far on my book.  I am thinking of leaving Blurb or I’ll never have this done before the holidays!

Posted by
kits55
Nov 11, 2009 6:58am PDT
kits55

Yes, I am having the same problem.  How do you actually use the default font settings feature?  I have set them, but they do not apply to my text and it is getting very frustrating! Unfortunately, I’ve already done 100 pages so there’s no turning back…

Posted by
jtmelton2
Nov 11, 2009 7:53pm PDT
jtmelton2