Tips and Tricks

ImageWrap creation is a little absurd...

I wrote to the support to suggest this.

I have an idea to semplify the ordering of books.

The problem is about the ImageWrap cover.

The system you use (the enlargement of the existent cover-image) oblige the author to create a cover smaller and with bigger edges than the original idea.

Or to create two books. Absurd.

One solution could be this: if someone orders an ImageWrap cover of an existent book, instead of to enlarge the cover-design, you could add a border in the color of the background of the pages (like it happens if I order the Dust Jacket option) and use the added border to create the edges for the imageWrap.

Simple! (I think…) :-)

An example with my book: http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/646950#book-settings

The picture on the cover is present until the margin, and the title is studied to have that dimension.

If I (or someone other) order an ImageWrap I lost 2,5 cm. (1 inch) of the image and of the title!

But THIS is the design I studied for my book, and I would have the same design in every type of cover!

What do you think about this problem?

Ciao

Raffaella

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
RaffaellaL
Jun 19, 2009 12:41am PDT
RaffaellaL

If I understand your question correctly I don’t think it would work, since the dust jackets are already too large. You can see this even in the books being held by the faceless people on the blurb home page. So any adjustment to a dust cover to make an image wrap cover would be based on a wrong size to begin with.

Posted by
jshook
Jun 19, 2009 6:58am PDT
jshook

No, I did not want to say this: no an adjustment from a Dust Jacket!

Only the color extension LIKE they do in the Dust Jacket.

If I order an ImageWrap of an existent book, they have only to add a 1 inch (2,5 cm.) border to the existent image of the cover with the color background of the book.

In my book, for example, this board should be black

That’s all.

Ciao, Raffaella

Posted by
RaffaellaL
Jun 20, 2009 3:18am PDT
RaffaellaL

I completely agree Raffaella. I’ve added a 1” border around my cover image to make way for that wrap, although I can’t understand why Blurb hasn’t built some sort of image-wrap- border into Booksmart…pretty dumb actually.

What I’m unsure about is whether or not to add the border to ALL 4 SIDES of the image. If one side faces the spine, do you need to add the border? That part isn’t wrapped, is it?

Thanks!

Posted by
webshaun
Jul 6, 2009 7:15pm PDT
webshaun

As with any bleed cover, you must allow for image to go beyond the trim. In Quark, InDesign, or other professional layout programmes, you can see the bleed. However, currently you cannot in BookSmart, so you have to eye-ball it and move the image around so that you know the image is a good 1/4" (my own allowance)  beyond the visible trim.

As for the spine – I believe I am correct in saying it is not an issue since there is no bleed here, The image is simply cropped off to allow for the beginning of the spine.

I hope this helps.

Posted by
Spencer
Jul 7, 2009 2:07pm PDT
Spencer

It would be an easy process to create a photoshop script/action to automat the addition of a 1" colored border on three sides of a cover image.

It is ignorant to stretch the image a total of two inches and the horizontal by 1" – this makes everything skinner! NOt only this, the stretching (unproportional enlargements) is creating truncations.

So we have with image wrap:

1) drastically dull finishes

2) skinny heads

3) truncated pictures

A simple (user selectable 1" border (make it 7/8" border) would be easy to program in to get the top, right, and bottom sides of the front cover; and the top, left, and bottom sides of the back cover.

The most horrible of the problems is the unproportional stretching; the 2nd and almost as bad is the dulling.

Posted by
nn55nn
Sep 13, 2009 10:27pm PDT
nn55nn