Tips and Tricks

Please read carefully

This is just a suggestion from someone who has uploaded the same book over four times. You must read through the entire book yourself.  I used spell check and I still found errors. Some sentences did not make sense.  Only you know what you are actually trying to say.  You wrote the book.  Now I finally have gotten it right.  Well, I just uploaded the book yesterday just to change one line.  But if I decide to forget it, as I just might. It won’t be so bad the way it is.  The goal was to get a book free from spelling errors and I have finally achieved that. So take it from someone who has experienced it. I know it is a lot of trouble to take that deep breath and sit there and read what you have so painsakingly written, but it will save you a lot of money and trouble. You won’t have books floating out there filled with spelling errors, as I do. It is so embarrassing to have people spend their money just to come back and tell you the book has a lot of spelling errors in it.  So that is just some advice from someone who has been there.  I hope it helps.

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
cocopuff123
Jun 22, 2009 3:25am PDT
cocopuff123

Indeed. I’ve had the same experience. Frankly, BookSmart is so slow and clunky that it takes ages to proofread an entire book, but it must be done. I suggest getting someone else as a second pair of eyes.

Posted by
jshook
Jun 22, 2009 3:21pm PDT
jshook

I think I run spell check as I complete each page and then twice I run "spell check entire book" when it’s complete.  The tricky things comes in when the word is spelled right like  "of" instead of "if" -  or "there" instead of "their" -    I’m fortunate to have a couple people who have been book editors in the pasts that read through mine – but even then I’ve found some errors after printing – ahhh the life of a self publisher….......    One thing that I find helps is to print the entire book – and sit away from the computer to read it.

Posted by
Bebensee
Jun 22, 2009 10:31pm PDT
Bebensee

This will be my first Blurb experience, and the result will only be given to a few family members, but I still had a skilled friend do some editing for me for only $15  an hour.  Editors can catch those awkward sentences and smooth out your phrasing in addition to finding all those split infinitives, dangling participles, and pronouns looking for an antecedent.  I’ll be so embarrassed if there are still errors.  Do consider an editor.

Posted by
spetry2
Jun 23, 2009 1:37pm PDT
spetry2