Tips and Tricks

Designing In Photoshop

I am working on a photo book.  None of the layouts work for what I would like to do.  I am trying to design in Photoshop CS3.  I can not seem to get the text to look sharp.  Also in some cases the photo gets very noisy depending on settings.  Does anyone have a good workflow for designing in PS CS3, exporting, and importing into the full bleed page design?  Any advice in general is greatly appreciated.

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
emorrisphoto
Sep 28, 2007 4:14pm PDT
emorrisphoto

Hi emorrisphoto,

We have a blog post for you! Check out Importing PDFs: Export your layout from Adobe CS3 into BookSmart and let me know how it goes.

– Kathy

Posted by
kathybad
Sep 28, 2007 5:41pm PDT
kathybad

Hi emorrisphoto,

I pre-process all my images in Lightroom export them to CS3 as PSD and then use an application (psAlbumHelper) that I have written that drives Photoshop to produce templates and then drag the PSDs into the templates. If the images need further processing I would do that on the original PSD before putting it into the page. I have had noe problems with using text layers, they come out perfectly.

Louis 

Posted by
PhotoLouis
Sep 29, 2007 2:45am PDT
PhotoLouis

I had read that one.  I have been desigining in Photoshop not inDesign.  My designs are pretty simple, 1 picture and 2 lines of text.  If I save out and impor the picture it looks great.  If I save out the picture with canvas size addjusted slightly to accomodate text it looks OK but the text seems to be a bit soft.  If I put the image and text into one document at the stated full bleed size everything looks horrible.  It looks as though everything has been through a JPEG 1 compression.  My book I anticipate to be in the neighborhood of 150 pages at this larger 11×13 size and probably approaching $200 a book I would really like some solid guidance and assurance.  Any input welcome thank you.

Posted by
emorrisphoto
Sep 29, 2007 8:43am PDT
emorrisphoto

Hi emorrisphoto,

I normally just use text on my section title pages and it has always come out as created. My text often is a script font with a shadow applied at something like 300px. It may be that if you are using a smallish font size that it appears blured due to the way text is displayed.

Even in PS it does not look very good until you display at 100%. You also need to remember that the images displayed in Booksmart are not the high resolution JPEG that you import, I believe that they downsample for the application display.

Hope this is of some use.

Louis 

Posted by
PhotoLouis
Sep 29, 2007 1:12pm PDT
PhotoLouis

Thank you Louis.  I’m going to go for it.  

Posted by
emorrisphoto
Sep 30, 2007 4:41am PDT
emorrisphoto

Emorrisphoto,

If you are really concerned about 200 plus pages of large format hard-cover book, perhaps that you want to do a “test book” with around 20 pages, and do what PhotoLouis has suggested, along with Blurberati staff’s suggestion or tip for that matter.

That way, with test book, you have a better idea on how it looks as a finished product. If you like what you saw, and realize that you want to do some change, then it is a good way to do so with test book and make it better with “final stage” of your 200-plus book. In time, it save your time and money.

Also, if I may make a suggestion or two. Do you happen to have a calibrated device for your computer monitor? Calibrated device is essential tool to help correct the color management issue. Because of factors involved with daylight, nightlight impact on your computer screen, such difference in few minutes or hours, it surely give a lot of impact on your monitor and your “naked” eyes. Not only that, but as computer monitor ages, it lose the true efficiency of TRUE means of color management. That is why calibrated device (and software as drivers) are developed to address this issue. Professional graphic designers and photographers use calibrated device regularly.

In addition to calibrated device, you might want to download ICC profile, here:

HP Indigo 5000 ICC Color Profile
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1014&message=22048288

And, here:

Color Profile for Blurb books
http://blurberatiblog.com/index.php/2007/02/13/color-profile-for-blurb-books/

Hope that helps, no?

Posted by
brianbonitz
Sep 30, 2007 2:37pm PDT
brianbonitz