Tips and Tricks

soft cover

After looking at the book 2 or 3 times the soft covers curl.  This has been true of every order.

Though, hardcovers look nice, especially the quality of printing on the gloss paper. The problem  is the dust jacket not fitting or staying in place. It is hard to show without completely removing it.

If there are any tips to overcome either of these issues, please let me know. 

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
lovein
Sep 29, 2007 1:18pm PDT
lovein

I encountered similar problems with the soft cover. 

I just received my first book as soft cover and I’m very pleased with the reproduction of my photos. My only disapointment was the quality of the softcover. After one night on my desk the cover curled – and I’m living in dry and sunny Califirnia. Also, the shiny cover gets messy with fingerprints right away

Is there a way to improve the quality of the softcover?

Posted by
orangesam
Nov 3, 2007 4:01pm PDT
orangesam

Ah yes, curling covers.  As  you mention, it definitely has to do with environmental issues  but it may not be where you are but where your books are produced.  It’s  on our radar and I’m working with our print partners to see if we have any options to make this problem less frequent.  I’ll keep this forum updated with our progress.

Best,

—bw 

Posted by
bruce
Nov 7, 2007 5:17pm PDT
bruce Icon_staff

The Booksmart program currently allows you to choose and create a soft cover. But Blurb refuses to print it.

The response from tech support was that it would create a gray button in the future to prevent this. They say soft cover 13×11s don’t last.

Hard cover 13×11 are very expensive. You should let the author/buyer make the decision on the soft cover and its durability.

I would certainly consider making layouts interchangeable. Layout people can resize photos if they have to. That’s a lots less work than starting from scratch, especially with books heavy in images or copy.

Now I have to create two new books when all I had to do before was redesign a cover. Let the layout person make the decision. I would have decided to take a chance on the binding and publish a 13×11 soft cover. People look at price points and your large hard covers are too much for most consumers.

These large books are not pocket guides. They don’t get that much use and abuse.

Offer a 13×11 Soft cover, improve the paper (100lb gloss?) and leave the program alone.

Posted by
timrock
Nov 7, 2007 8:33pm PDT
timrock

I have had two orders of 25 books total ship with bad curling covers, also an on line client complain of the same…this makes 3 seperate orders with the curling issue so far.  Books have been opened in various locations nationally (Milwaukee, Chicago, Fort Myers), so weather should not be the issue.  I ended up getting the more expensive hard covers for the reploacements and near future needs, but can’t afford that option for ever.  What has been done to resolve this?  Is there anyone who has not had this issue?  I am concerned this is happening to all soft cover books.  If so, they should not be offered for sale. Jan

Posted by
jeat1654
Sep 26, 2008 4:39am PDT
jeat1654

on my softcover book the protective layer started to peel off immediately at the sides; looks very unprofessional … And yes, after some days the cover started curling strongly. I would be hesitant to sell these books because of this, but from the price side they are the most competitive with general bookstore pricing so the easiest to sell in numbers …

Posted by
teknik
Sep 29, 2008 4:11am PDT
teknik

interesting topic. I have only been involved with the hard cover side of things but teknik brings to mind an interesting point. I am pretty much new to this so forgive my newbie-ness but is there/ has there been discussion about this price point option and the limitation it places on sales. I would lthink it would be in Blurbs best interest for those of us self commisioning to ge the work out there as much as possible in as many arenas as possilble however maybe all costs are accounted for and this really is the price of self publishing?

Posted by
kallevision
Sep 29, 2008 7:32am PDT
kallevision

so if soft cover is the competitive option then I guess my question is if the protective layer peels away in only a matter of days – -this is surely a quality control issue that would have been spotted very early on in the testing procedure of a book.

Posted by
kallevision
Sep 29, 2008 7:34am PDT
kallevision

Hi,

The lamination on softcover books should not peel off at all. If your books are doing this, please contact Customer Support. Peeling covers are a sure sign of a manufacturing defect, which we will make good on.

– Kathy

Posted by
kathybad
Sep 29, 2008 10:05am PDT
kathybad

what about the curling? Has this been resolved yet?

I also purchased one soft-cover book. The cover curled almost immediately which was quite disappointing

Posted by
EJSIQ
Oct 13, 2008 9:32am PDT
EJSIQ

I think the problem lies with the exterior printing. The cover is a bit like film ( photo) in that it is coated on one side. The coating on the cover shrinks and the other side of the cover paper is blank so the paper is pulled to the printed side. Notice that the interior pages do not curl.  I am not a printer but I think the covers need a treatment to equalize the cover coating/printing. I don’t see this happening on other books – even old pulp fiction- so I think it is something that can be fixed.

Posted by
squillet
Oct 5, 2009 5:54pm PDT
squillet

Squillet’s comment sounds the most logical as to why this occuring.  I just received two soft cover books – one curled the first day, the other is still in the plastic wrap, but I can see the cover already lifting from the printed pages.  I am sure that as soon as it is opened, it will do the same thing.   I am hoping/confident (misplaced<cite>) that Blurb will replace these books, but as I just sent them the complaint, I am curious if anyone else has had this successfully resolved, or were they told to live with the curling?</cite>

Posted by
nwgolfer
Nov 7, 2009 1:15pm PDT
nwgolfer

Softcover books are attractively priced for friends who don’t have a lot of money to spend but would like to buy one of your books.

I have not yet tried softcover and I was going to have a softcover version of my next book printed along with the hardcover version. However, with all I’ve read about Blurb softcover books in the various forum groups, I am going to wait until they get this problem resolved. The cover curl and separation issue seems very common and I do not want an inferior product for one of my books, so I’m going to stick with hardcover for now. I’d rather have people not buy my book than get something that looks shoddy and reflects badly on my work.

It appears that Blurb is aware of this problem and is working to correct it, so I’ll just hold off on softcover until I hear it’s been resolved.

Posted by
novalightmik
Nov 9, 2009 12:44pm PDT
novalightmik

I have just created my first book (62 pages) I specified soft cover, but have now changed my mind (after reading the forum comments on curling and delamination) and want hard cover with wraparound. How do I change this before I order the book?

Posted by
alexeit
Nov 10, 2009 9:59am PDT
alexeit

I should have responded sooner (Nov 2009), but just to let everyone know – Blurb contacted me immediately and credited me for the soft cover books that had curled.  They dont respond to the postings in these threads, but their response to my complaint was within days.   I was 100% satisfied with how they handled it – my only wish is that they could resolve the  original issue.  I still like the idea of a softcover book, but will not buy another as there is too much chance of a repeat of the same issue. 

Posted by
nwgolfer
Dec 29, 2009 3:50pm PDT
nwgolfer

Just my experience – I ordered "Heritage Books" for family in soft cover before seeing this thread. I’ll never do it again until I hear some good feedback – the cover curled almost immediately after removing the plastic wrapper – I was not happy. FYI – I did an 8×10 portrait orientation book for this.

Posted by
ddagnolo
Jan 15, 2010 4:05pm PDT
ddagnolo

I like paper backs (i.e. soft covers) because they’re easier to move, a little less costly to publish and cheaper to mail.  One possibility would be to make a snug case for the book but we’re talking money again.   Blurb should check out why this does not happen with paperbacks published by My Publisher.  This is not an indirect suggestion that people should use MP.  I’ve done 5 books with them and can testify that they have plenty of other problems, including really lousy customer service.

Posted by
ameliacameli
Mar 20, 2010 5:44pm PDT
ameliacameli

I’m making a 7×7 soft cover. Will the soft cover for this size curl?

Can we specify matt covers instead of shiny?

Thanks for any suggestions. 

Posted by
chet58
Mar 27, 2010 9:40am PDT
chet58