Tips and Tricks

Cookbook image problem

I am getting the message on  many of my chapter pages which hold big images  that my resolution is too low for the image containter and that it may look fine on the scrren but won’t print properly/clearly.  What are my options as I’ve FINALLY found the images I want in the size I want for my book?  I’ve tried larger images but I’m still getting the same message?  Where can I find cookbook images, LARGE, that will work?

Thanks.

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
EliW
Jul 21, 2009 1:07pm PDT
EliW

You didn’t say where the images you want to use came from- original photos or scanned. If you know the size images yu want & your pgs have the size containers yu want, move your cursor over the container. The optimum image size that will print perfectly will pop up. Use a photo-editing program that resizes images & change the demensions of the image to the size of the container. This shd work. You sh also search Blurb using the option in upper rt corner of the Blurb Forums page to search for forums about this subj. There are lots of them.

Posted by
loricherokee
Jul 21, 2009 2:52pm PDT
loricherokee

If you have found the images on the internet there is a good chance they were sized for display in a web browser, such images are unlikely to be of a size that will allow you print a large copy in your cookbook. The best you could expect of such images is to print them at about 3" x 2" if you want good quality, you could double that size using the likes of Photoshop but any bigger and you would be unlikley to get a photo of good enough quality to fill, or nearly fill, a page of your book.

Check the size you need as Lori suggests then go to your favourite web search engine and search for "creative commons images"  then within the web sites that throws up look for photos that suit your needs in terms of size and content.

Creative Commons is a scheme where copyright owners have licensed their intelectual property, such as images, for free use (though always check the site to see if there are any restrictions such as a requirement to credit the photographer). If you find other images on the internet there is a 99% chance that the copyright owner will not be at all happy if you use them and could even take you to court. For more details on copyright and the web have a read of this summary.

If you are willing to pay for good quality photos of the right size try a search of the internet for "Stock Photo Library" and have a look in those.

.........Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Jul 22, 2009 12:49am PDT
tfrankland

Thanks Lori and Tony!

Posted by
EliW
Jul 22, 2009 4:53am PDT
EliW

Tony:  I just can’t seem to get get rid of the warning message in my image containers!  I don’t know how to size them properly? My image containers on the chapter pages are 1650 wide x 3000 high and it says something about pixels being 300 DPI. Can you walk me through importing one image the correct size or whatever through flick?  my email is defrt968@yahoo.com.  Thanks for the help. I am totally frustrated after having spend 2 days on just images for this project!

Liz

Posted by
EliW
Jul 22, 2009 6:43am PDT
EliW