Tips and Tricks

Design Process Question: Should I paste all text firs then add pictures?

I have a number of pages of text and pictures that go with it that will use multiple page layouts.  I want to know the best way to proceed.  Should I paste all of the text and then work one page at a time adding pitcures as I go, or should I paste some text, optimize that page, paste more text add pictures and optimize, …

What makes most sense and is easiest.  Any help would be great.  Thanks

Doug Da Nubie

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
dpage
Aug 12, 2009 11:54pm PDT
dpage

Hi Doug;

This is going to be no help to you whatsoever!

There is no correct answer to your question; it really is a case of "whatever floats your boat"!

Personally, even though it is improved, I find BookSmart’s text handling very cumbersome, and still somewhat flaky, so my preference is to work one page at a time as far as possible. I have found that gives me maximum flexibility to make changes as I go without worrying about how those changes will imapct whatever else is forward in the book…

Trial & error I’m afraid!

Good luck;

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Aug 13, 2009 1:32am PDT
lkb-28

I agree with the above – whatever works best for you.  I worked one page at a time – adding both photos and text then on to the next page.  For me that worked best for the style I used.  The photos are the main focus of my book so they went in first.  Then I added text.  I sometimes had to change the page layout and/or add/delete some of the original photos until I got it the way I wanted it.

Posted by
friend1979
Aug 13, 2009 1:35pm PDT
friend1979

If you are happy to stick with the pre-defined layouts that allow text flow, then it should be ok to paste all of your text and add the photos after. I also highly recommend that you get your text in order as much as possible before pasting it into Booksmart, as the current text editing can be very slow and full of glitches (wrong font, wrong font sizes etc) However, you are then stuck with the pre-defined layout options. If you customize your layouts afterwards, say to resize or add extra pictures to a layout, then the text autoflow is lost for that page and you will get new blank pages appearing with the overflow of the text from that page – this becomes a pain in the a** after a while. So if you are fussy about your picture layouts, I’d say do the pictures first, then add the text – one page at a time if using custom layouts.

Posted by
pjerrard
Nov 13, 2009 6:06am PDT
pjerrard