Tips and Tricks

Apple Pages PDF OK?

Can I use Apple’s Pages layout program to desigh the book? It can save to PDF, but I am not sure if it is the right kind of PDF. I am using 10.5.8, and the most recent version of Pages.

Thanks,

Bruce

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
svskyus
Aug 20, 2009 8:39am PDT
svskyus

Bruce,

Did you solve your issue?

Nicolas

Posted by
npinto
Dec 19, 2010 3:20pm PDT
npinto

Bruce,

Did you solve this issue? i am having the same one,

Amy

Posted by
agranieri
Feb 14, 2011 8:14pm PDT
agranieri

I would LOVE to hear that this works because I have a couple of design ideas that will not work with the Blurb sw except with PDF layouts.

cheers,

tom

Posted by
tomoc
Mar 15, 2011 4:05pm PDT
tomoc

Mac OSX’s ColorSync filters have an unfortunate default 72dpi for all transparent objects and no way of directly saving to PDF X/3 which makes it difficult to produce quality assured pdf output from Pages.

You can try to avoid all forms of bitmap transparency (less than 100% Opacity of bitmaps, 3D charts, shadows and reflections).

There are additional problems with no bleeds, nor spreads in Pages, plus a muddled implementation of color swatches that requires endless proofing to ensure blacks are not cmyk mixes.

You may successfully traverse Apple’s minefields but I wouldn’t risk my reputation, nor much money on succeeding.

btw Apple knows all this but is not much interested in fixing what didn’t need to be broke in the first place.

Posted by
PeterBreis
Jan 4, 2013 5:47am PDT
PeterBreis

I have had so much trouble getting the PDF small enough on my last book, as I have so many colour pics in it, 14 in all, but a friend was round last night and should me how to do the whole thing on IPhoto, way better.

Posted by
Scotmax
Jan 4, 2013 7:16pm PDT
Scotmax