Tips and Tricks

Locked Dust Jacket Printing GREAT...Pages Photos WAY TOO DARK !! HELP

I just got my test book back and the Dust Jacket was outstanding.  However every image in the 50 page book is unusable.  WAY, WAY TOO DARK.  I read I should be using the icc custom profile for the HP 5000 Press and the SRGB Profile in managing the files in Photoshop.  Can someone help me know SPECIFICALLY what changes I should be making to solve this problem. I don’t want to do test book after test book.    If someone has a workflow that works I would like to know what it is.<cite>??</cite><cite>??</cite>???    Thanks in advance………..Vern in Oregon

Posted by
Stiffkicker
Sep 6, 2009 1:03pm PDT
Stiffkicker

With little info, I can only guess and ask questions.

My guess is that you are using Adobe RGB colorspace, and your monitor is too bright.

Is your monitor calibrated?  If your monitor is too bright, your pictures will look ok on the screen, but then print dark, because that is the color they actually are.

In photoshop Edit->Color Settings, what is the RGB working space set to?

What is the color management policy?

Is the Profile Mismatch – Ask when opening box checked?

If you set the RGB working colorspace to sRGB and checked the Profile Mismatch box, when opening one of your jpgs, Photoshop will tell you if the photo is in any colorspace other than sRGB.

If you email me a photo that printed dark (I want the jpg that you put in the book), I will tell you what colorspace it has and how it appears on my calibrated monitor.

Send it to:

ms.ps2blurb at gmail.com  Replace the " at " with @

Mike

Posted by
Charybdis
Sep 6, 2009 10:09pm PDT
Charybdis

This happens to me every time I get a book printed regardless of the company printing it. So where should the settings be for brightness on the monitor? I have a Gretag one eye for calibrating the monitor. So the color should be good, but the brightness is certainly an issue in my case as well as Vern in Oregon. Can you help me?

Posted by
obxshelley
Mar 3, 2010 10:31am PDT
obxshelley

I would guess that you are using the wrong colorspace.  Calibrating the monitor produces a file that converts the native colorspace of the photo to the colorspace of the monitor.  This way, a photo saved in sRGB or Adobe RGB are both converted for proper viewing on your screen.  You can have two photos that look identical with different underlying numbers representing the same color.  Blurb does not do any colorspace conversion.  It expects sRGB.  If you send them an Adobe RGB file, your colors will be off.  Typically too dark, because Adobe RGB is a wider space than sRGB, and the compression can only make the print darker.  The underlying numbers need to be converted instead.

If you can send me one of the "dark" photos, I’ll look at it and give you my personal analysis of it.  Otherwise I’m just guessing.

Send it to ms.ps2blurb at gmail dot com.  Replace " at " with @ and " dot " with "."

Mike

Posted by
Charybdis
Mar 3, 2010 12:14pm PDT
Charybdis

For a novice like me, it took me 4 test books to get my first book right… Still might take me 2 test books for the second.. I will check out Charybdis advice – if i can understand properly. But as a beginner I found -

The files do need to be sRGB.
Your screen does need to be calibrated to some extent. For me simply turning the brightness of my screen down to 60-70% helped a lot. It gave me a more realistic comparison to the printed page.
Also in Photoshop you can use a preset for your images – I found setting to LightRGB stopped most of my images being too dark.

Posted by
Apartment
Apr 1, 2010 4:34am PDT
Apartment

Have the same problem – although not to the extent that they are useless. I really think you need to use the HP5000 ICC profile. Blurb does print dark…

I’m using a calibrated monitor and sRGB but not the HP5000 profile. …on some photos that have made me thousands of dollars without one complaint, which would lead me to believe Blurb prints dark, or the rest of the world just prints too light. Hmmm.

If yopur photos are unusable though – something is off with either your monitor or ICC prfile, probably a combination of both. Believe me, your not alone, and it’s frustrating, you just have to get to the point where you are happy with the book, without spending alot of money.

John

Posted by
happypoppeye
Apr 1, 2010 10:54am PDT
happypoppeye

I just received my book, and many of the photos are very dark . . . much darker than I expected and that appear on my screen. I produced this book for friends as a thank you for asking us to visit them. They were pleased with the book, but I think it could have been so much better if it had not been so dark. Some of the pages were fine, so I cannot understand why some were so dark. I just looked at the preview of the book again, and it looked fine. I intend to use another company next time to make a book.

Posted by
MindaHodges
Jul 31, 2011 2:35pm PDT
MindaHodges

Hi MindaHodges,

As this thread is over a year old you’ll get much better results if you contact customer support.Be sure to include your order number when you contact us. 

As this is an old thread I’m going to lock it to keep things up to date.

Regards,
Michael/Blurb Customer Support 

Posted by
mikewhy
Aug 1, 2011 9:17am PDT
mikewhy Icon_staff