Tips and Tricks

border around photos

i can not figute out how to put a border around my photo. I see the icon for it but it will not let me click on it…. HELP!!!

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
stephdrum
Sep 14, 2009 4:04pm PDT
stephdrum

If you are trying to put a border around a photo that goes to the edge of the page you won’t be able to put a border around the photo.

Posted by
Bebensee
Sep 14, 2009 10:11pm PDT
Bebensee

Having the same problem. These are not bleed photos but I still don’t have the option to put a border around most of my photos. I even tried clicking on "use this border for all photos" but it didn’t work.

Thanks for any help.

Posted by
christine_lg
Oct 27, 2009 6:40am PDT
christine_lg

Your photos may still be too close to the edge. As an experiment, make one of the problem photo containers  a little smaller & try again. If the border works, you can then go to Edit Layout & see how big you can make the photo & keep the border. I had the same problem until I discovered borders didn’t work w/bleed photos but it’s working fine now w/my non-bleed photos

Posted by
loricherokee
Oct 27, 2009 3:19pm PDT
loricherokee

I have tried that but I still cannot make it work

Posted by
robin-hood
Dec 20, 2009 11:03am PDT
robin-hood

I am having exactly this issue with custom layouts and an image container that covers the entire background and have an incident filed. I’m not sure if it’s both of these combined or one of them, but some of my custom layouts will come up with some of the image containers able to have a border set and some of them not able. None of the containers that have the problem are close to the page border or the border of another image container.

If this is your setup, I hope you have the same luck as I did with this workaround that has worked for me in all cases so far. Simply click to edit the layout, then immediately just apply the layout without making any changes or re-saving it if it’s already a custom layout. For me this results in the image containers all being able to have a border applied. I can’t explain it, but perhaps the result of re-applying the custom layout makes BookSmart figure out if borders are really allowed on the image containers.

Best of luck!

Posted by
hellosh
Dec 30, 2009 6:44pm PDT
hellosh

I was having the same problem wit a couple of my custom layouts and hellosh’s workaround worked!  Thanks!

Posted by
amyfrmid
Jan 11, 2010 8:32am PDT
amyfrmid

I find that in order to get the correct borders, you must lay them out previously in photoshop, illustrator or indesign, then import them with the border around them. Keep in mind, the extra space for binding.

Posted by
tgsdarkroom
Jan 19, 2010 4:31pm PDT
tgsdarkroom

I can’t put borders around my photo’s.  I can’t find the icon to do it either.  Unfortunately the advice down further down the page hasn’t helped.  I am holding off publishing because it will look all wrong with some photo’s having a black outline and some not.  HELP!

Posted by
pugwhistle
Mar 21, 2010 4:24pm PDT
pugwhistle

I have had this problem and discovered that it mostly occurred when the “lock spread” option is set. try unlocking the spreads, then add the borders, and then remember to relock the spreads again. I don;t know why, but this worked for me several times.

Posted by
EnchantedArt
Mar 21, 2010 5:17pm PDT
EnchantedArt

I realise that this is an ancient thread, but… in Word 2010 there’s a difference between .doc and .docx files. In .docx you can apply “fancy” borders whereas in .doc files you’re limited to simple or no borders around images/etc.

Posted by
jumpingdonke
Nov 3, 2013 7:36pm PDT
jumpingdonke