Tips and Tricks

make background photo look like a watermark

I’d like to make a background photo look faded, like a watermark.  Does anyone know how to do this?

And, do you know what would happen if I simply make the background photo "too" large for the container?  What I’m wondering is if making it too large for the container would create the faded watermark effect that I’m looking for.  Or would it just look like crap.

thanks in advance,

claudu

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
blueclaudu
Oct 19, 2009 2:43pm PDT
blueclaudu

I think you’ll have to create a faded photo in another program, save as a jpeg. I tried to use a faded photo as a brackground on an inside pg & had to do it that way. I think making the photo too big for the container will only give you a pixelated mess.

Posted by
loricherokee
Oct 19, 2009 4:01pm PDT
loricherokee

Use Photoshop to created your page JPG – or do your layoput in InDesign and just "dial the layer down"

Posted by
larryq
Feb 10, 2010 8:25pm PDT
larryq

I use Paint Shop Pro 9 and have created a lot of ‘watermark’ photos for my books as background for the poems. Once I’ve resized your photo to fit the template, I create a new white (or soft colored) layer with the same size. I copy the photo and paste it on this layer and then I merge the layers together to the point of fading I like, I save it as a .jpg and insert it in my book.

Posted by
Titia
Feb 11, 2010 4:54pm PDT
Titia