Tips and Tricks

What's the best size font I should use?

I’m just wondering if size 9 font is too small?

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
sarzi
Oct 21, 2009 2:02am PDT
sarzi

I use 9pt non-seraph fonts for my captions, mainly because the caption text boxes are fairly small and I’m obvioulsy a bit verbose. I find non-seraph’d fonts to be easier to read at that size.

But I found that large bodies of text that size a bit of a strain. So I now use 11pt (seraph or non-seraph) fonts for those and have no problems (with my 60+ eyes). I tried 13pt but found that just looked too large for bodies of text, but I use that size for sub-headings.

It is very subjective though, I don’t think there is a "right" answer to your question.

……..Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Oct 21, 2009 2:16am PDT
tfrankland

Sounds good to me.

Posted by
ameliacameli
Mar 20, 2010 5:54pm PDT
ameliacameli

I use 9pt Georgia. I like it but have heard some comments from 60 pluser’s that it is too small. At most I would go to 11 …but thats just me.

Posted by
happypoppeye
Apr 1, 2010 10:56am PDT
happypoppeye

My personal preference for ease of reading is nothing smaller than 10/

Posted by
koolkat
Apr 21, 2010 6:20am PDT
koolkat

you have to be careful talking just about the font number – Times 12 point comes out much smaller than MS Trebuchet I think, for example.

When I used 12 point MS Trebuchet (I like the non seraph type face as it has a modern feel), it came out like a book for the partially sighted! i.e. far too big for my taste when I saw a proof book. I reduced to 11 point and that was fine for that font.

Derek

Posted by
dfaccount
May 9, 2010 3:15am PDT
dfaccount

In my youth, I wrote over a 100 books, mostly technical and many for the government.  Most technical specifications called for 12 point type.  I like 12 point Ariel fonts, primarily because they are easy to read – although not very artistic.  We frequently used 14 point bold for emphasis.

Graubeard32

Posted by
Graybeard32
Jun 22, 2010 11:35am PDT
Graybeard32

Hello Kind Folks!!!

I have a font and spacing issue. My size is set at font size 11, many of my to-be readers will need something not too small but not too large. I am a poet and the necessity to keep the lines together and not trail off to the next line is crucial. It is likely a margin issue as well as font size. Please advise!!!

Example: 

Text text text text text text and the sentence is
too long for the complete thought.

Need to complete book this weekend! 

Posted by
DreamWriterP
Oct 25, 2013 2:16pm PDT
DreamWriterP