Tips and Tricks

Signature journal / What pen to use?

Hi Folks,

I just completed my 1st book on blurb and it’s in process. I designed it for a couple who will be using it for a signature journal.

I should have asked this before doing the book, but my question is…

Are the pages thick enough to withstand people writing on the pages? Any recommendation on a type of pen. I was thinking of a ball point pen but I’m afraid if the pages are too thin, that it may crease or imprint many pages below it. Maybe a fine point marker style pen?

Anybody ever do this for a client? What did you use?

Thanks,

Lou

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
SDAP
Oct 15, 2007 12:24pm PDT
SDAP

Yes, the paper is thick enough.  Use a Sharpie Fine Point for the best results. 

Posted by
200mph
Oct 15, 2007 12:40pm PDT
200mph

Thanks for the quick reply!

Posted by
SDAP
Oct 15, 2007 1:16pm PDT
SDAP

SDAP,

I wanted to refer you to this post also where a user recommends a pen with archival quality ink. I’ve tested a Sharpie and it writes well and doesn’t bleed through or cause indentations, but I can’t speak to how well it will stand the test of time. 

gman 

Posted by
gman
Oct 15, 2007 4:55pm PDT
gman

We made a guestbook for our wedding and used a "scrapbooking utility pen" from American Crafts.  It says "Photo Marker" on it and it is acid free, photo safe and smear proof.  We purchased it at a Michael’s craft store.

Posted by
gilenh20
Oct 24, 2007 3:51pm PDT
gilenh20

American Crafts pens as well as pens from Foray "Permanent Marker" works well and will not breed. They come in various points.

Posted by
cordell
Oct 28, 2007 11:36am PDT
cordell