Tips and Tricks

Add image to spine?

I want to use a special font for type on the spine. Can I generate an image with it and place it on the spine?

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
spirelli
Oct 17, 2007 7:48am PDT
spirelli

yes you can, you need to scroll down the cover templates to the last one (it has a greyed out area on the spine) which has a image box on the spine

i’ve put my own text on the spine using a jpeg for my proof book to see how it comes out, im guessing the spine will change size depending on the page count of your book, so you might have to squash it in there

Posted by
mattcouper
Oct 17, 2007 8:10am PDT
mattcouper

Many thanks, that helps.

What would be the way to center the image so the the type is centered on the spine? After all I’d be only guessing how thich the pine will be exactly, right?

Posted by
spirelli
Oct 17, 2007 10:25am PDT
spirelli

Hi,

I have a bit of a confusing answer here, so please bear with me. In BookSmart 1.8 you can indeed add an image to the spine. However, we removed this option from 1.9 because we had technical difficulties in trying to line up front/back images including the spine to match up correctly. Rather than giving people the option and then being disappointed with the results, we thought it would be best to remove it from 1.9 until we were happy with it. So, for now, best not to attempt to wrap an image in the hopes that everything lines up perfectly.

Hope this helps.

– Kathy 

Posted by
kathybad
Oct 17, 2007 11:55am PDT
kathybad

Kathy—I’ve made a suggestion elsewhere but I’ll make it again when the full lunch of v1.9 is made please list the new things that can be done vs. v1.8 and the options that are not currently available in v1.9 that were in v1.8. Seems like users have to stumble over these to find them. Just a suggestion.

Posted by
lcarreira
Oct 17, 2007 12:55pm PDT
lcarreira

Hello Kathy;

Well – you are right – that certainly does confuse things !!!

If you look at the "Cover Pages" in 1.9, then certainly the last two options allow images to be added to the spine!

Cheers;

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Oct 17, 2007 1:52pm PDT
lkb-28

whoops! ha ha, just read cathybads post….I’ve attempted to add a jpeg to the spine, the book will get here in a couple of days so i can take a photo and post of you like

ive produced a 115 page 8" x 10" hardback so im really interested to see how the spine checks out. I think its a necessity to have a designed spine, its the first thing you see in a book shelf.

Posted by
mattcouper
Oct 20, 2007 12:49pm PDT
mattcouper

I agree with mattcouper, I was really impressed with the example image of a dustjacket with a wraparound spine image, even if I can’t customize the text with an image I’d love for the image to carry all the way around, unfortunately I just downloaded the program without that option, looking forward to the new version! Other than that I love this program, can’t wait to make my own book.

Posted by
sculptress
Nov 8, 2007 2:51pm PDT
sculptress

It occurred to me, (but too late to do it  for my latest ‘proof" copy), that you could wrap around the spine and continue the image onto the entire back cover, creating a very elongated image, viewable as a single image if you held the book open in front of you. There might be a bit of a problem matching up accurately the spine part of the image with that of the front cover and back cover where they meet, but it might be quite interesting to try…Keith

Posted by
cantudoit2
Nov 9, 2007 3:29pm PDT
cantudoit2

I’m running version 1.9 and I can’t seem to find any cover templates with gray spines. Mine are all showing up as white. I’d like to be able to add a graphic that wraps all the way around seamlessly.

Posted by
OnyxRain
Feb 3, 2008 2:16pm PDT
OnyxRain