Tips and Tricks

Another 2 page spread ? but with pictures

Can someone tell me which is correct if I wanted the center of this sign to appear dead smack in the middle of the gutter? This is a 10×8 softcover book. Thanks.

EXAMPLE A

Example A

EXAMPLE B

Example B

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
blurrylens
Dec 27, 2010 5:16pm PDT
blurrylens

I’ve used two page spreads before, and they work nice, but I a wouldn’t advise putting something of key interest in the gutter.  I’m not sure the printing is consistent enough to say for sure what is right.  If I had to pick, I would go with A.

Posted by
LJ2b2c
Dec 28, 2010 7:51am PDT
LJ2b2c

It is not possible to be definitive in answering your question. Blurb do not officially support a two spage spread though many of us have had successful books using this technique. The main issue is how much, if any, of the edge of the photo in the gutter will be lost in the binding. It depends on which printer, what type of binding and how many pages in the book. My own (and others) experience is that the more pages the more likely to lose a bit in the binding thus the need to provide a slight overlap such as in your second example. When I do this if I’m creating a book of 40 to 60 pages I don’t bother and adopt your example 1, but by the time I’m up to 150-odd pages I’ll allow some overlap such as in your example 2.

There is a thread that captured some people’s experiences with this that may prove useful.

But I’d whole heartedly support  Larry Jordan’s advice that nothing of significance should be placed in the gutter just in case you lose more than you planned for.

…..Tony

p.s. There is no need to post the same question in multiple forums, in fact it is goes against the Community Guidelines of the forums.

Posted by
tfrankland
Dec 28, 2010 2:49pm PDT
tfrankland