Tips and Tricks

Sharing some responces from tech support

Just thought I would share some of the answers I have got from tech support. These are from the use of version 1.9.0 of Booksmart. Please add comments if you have found different.

1) Once an image is imported it is used in a different way for each use. The amount of artifcating can vary between the use on screen, local print and published print.

2) The upload size is best estimated by doing an export to a ".book" file. This is not the file you send but is closer to the upload size than the project directory. I also found that exporting the ".book" file and then importing to a new project cleaned up my project (from 4.7GB to 2.7GB for 280pages with 577images).

3) Local printing is very slow. This has been confirmed and they hope to fix in furtue releases. My project with 280pages with 577images took over 8 hours to send to the printer.

Hope this help some people.

John

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
oddball508
Oct 24, 2007 3:49pm PDT
oddball508

Thanks fo passing this info on John.  Liked the tip about reducing the project size.

Posted by
glenlan
Dec 11, 2007 1:36pm PDT
glenlan

AHA! About the local printing being s..l..o..w. I wanted to print a single page, but the application immediately launched the PRINTING function without allowing me to select a range, and I could see after a few minutes that I wasn’t getting anywhere. Not only that, but I was not “allowed” to cancel the print job! Everything else was “frozen” which is always a bit alarming. And I had no idea how long the process was going to take! I wouldn’t even wait an hour, let alone 8!
The only thing I could do was Force Quit Booksmart. Tech support didn’t know why this happened—but at least now I know it wasn’t just my printer. So I won’t be printing any soft proofs. And, if they are not going to look that good, why bother. Everything looks great in Preview, so I’ll trust that. Once I order preview copies of my books, I’ll know for sure.

Posted by
CHTrippe
Dec 12, 2007 6:19am PDT
CHTrippe