Tips and Tricks

Want to make "2 way book"

Has anyone tried to make what I call a “two way book?” This would be like some magazines do… depending on which way you hold it, the back cover is the front or the front cover is the front.. to about mid way in the book.

I use booksmart but I actually just make all of my own pages full bleed in photoshop and then drop them in, so I am thinking I can just do a 180 on the pages I want to start from the back (of course inverting the sequencing) and drop them in “upside down”

Has anyone tried this? any thoughts about what problems I might run into?

The only one that looks to be insolvable (disappointing) is that I wanted to put both titles on the spine — but with the “other” one facing upside down from the first one and I can see any way to do that. I saw a post from a guy last year who said he did it with photoshop but I cannot (I tried just pasting in upside down text, but Booksmart put it in rightside up).

thanks for any ideas…

cheers,

tom

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
tomoc
Mar 15, 2011 4:10pm PDT
tomoc

You need to remember, the last page of the book (1st when reversed) is going to be the blurb logo unless you pay to have it removed.  You could leave the 2nd to last blank, then cut the entire sheet out when you receive it, or start forward and reversed versions on page 2.

Mike

Posted by
Charybdis
Mar 17, 2011 4:33pm PDT
Charybdis

I made a 2 way book in 2008 doing exactly what you said : turning each picture 180 degrees. I also payed to have the logo removed. I did manage to put the titles on the spine – one this way and one that way – using photoshop but I was using an older version of booksmart so maybe they upgraded that option out. I didn’t have any technical problems making my 2way book apart from having to think upside down for half of it, and I was very pleased with my result.

Posted by
Alonaf
May 6, 2011 12:28pm PDT
Alonaf

I’ve been wanting to do that very thing and wondered how it could be done.

Posted by
Thena
May 12, 2011 12:47pm PDT
Thena

I have been wanting to do that also.  How can you make the text upside down?

How much does removing the logo cost?

Posted by
thesugarplum
Sep 13, 2011 8:14am PDT
thesugarplum