Tips and Tricks

Changing font won't actually change it

Total newbie to this so help appreciated!  I am discovering that often when I select and change size or font style, it doesn’t actually change it.  It just stays as it is.  (This is in text layouts using columns.)  Eg, I am trying to change the text from 9 points to 10 and it just stays as is.  Very frustrating.  Any advice?

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
TiffanyNZ
Oct 25, 2007 6:36pm PDT
TiffanyNZ

Try using the pull down menus. That worked for me.

Posted by
owmyballs
Oct 25, 2007 9:07pm PDT
owmyballs

Again. One of the problems I am having.

Posted by
buckobeck
Oct 25, 2007 9:53pm PDT
buckobeck

Hello TiffanyNZ;

Yes, this is a problem I have as well…

I found that if you select a "higher-value" point first, you can then re-select the point you really want afterwards..

E.g. If you really want a 12 point, select 16 or 18 first, the text size should then change, then select 12 point, and it should re-size to 12… Well; it does for me anyway… A bit cumbersome, but at least it’s a work-around…

Just another glitch in the software that needs fixing..

Cheers;

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Oct 26, 2007 12:22am PDT
lkb-28

Thanks Lee – that worked perfectly!  You’re a star.

Posted by
TiffanyNZ
Oct 28, 2007 1:36pm PDT
TiffanyNZ

I did the same thing Lee did. Except I went the other way. Was stuck on 14, trying to go to 12; so I went to 10 and then 12. 

Posted by
eve
Oct 30, 2007 7:31am PDT
eve

it would be helpful if once i select a them, i could then change the font styles in one place such as a preferences, for just that book. i’m finding that if i have updated the styles in page, then add a new page, i have to continue "apply to all".

Posted by
paullk
Nov 18, 2007 8:14am PDT
paullk

The software needs to implement the concept of "styles" like in most word processing software.  This would be a huge time saver and improvement.

Posted by
glenlan
Nov 27, 2007 2:33pm PDT
glenlan

I had the same problem and rebooting the computer worked most of the time – a pain but eventually it all worked out.

Posted by
gailers
Dec 3, 2007 1:52pm PDT
gailers

Obviously a glitch, as I had the exact same problem on every page!

Posted by
ceejanerun
Dec 16, 2007 3:47am PDT
ceejanerun

Yes yes YES! Please!  I had the same problems with font size changes but this program very much needs to be able to choose specific font style and size at the beginning of a project and keep that throughout instead of having to change the header, footer and text on EVERY SINGLE PAGE!  That small feature alone would have saved me hours, no doubt.

Posted by
ArcticFrog
Jan 10, 2008 1:29pm PDT
ArcticFrog

Am finding same font change problem as others, and also problems with text changes in general – e.g. alignment changes, cut and paste changes. The program seems not very robust in these areas. I can usually make something work in the end but hours of frustration on these issues in the short term makes me question program viability.

First book was mainly photos, but second involves a lot of text, and text changes as I go for page fit, so  some program refits needed.

Posted by
lesliecrabtr
Jan 18, 2008 12:05pm PDT
lesliecrabtr

Just having the self same problem – this program seems to be a bit ahead of itself, or am I asking too much?  Maybe it’s good for a very simple type of book, but as I’m doing a family history book which is quite complicated I see a some frustrating hours ahead.  As well as changing size of fonts, I have needed to change the fonts themselves, stubbornly they stay the same.  Am finding this program very clumsy.  Would like to be able to do the whole thing in Word and publish from there, but dream on ….

Posted by
Jennie62
Jan 19, 2008 8:54pm PDT
Jennie62

This problem needs to be fixed NOW! It is ridiculous to have to redo every page, come on guys/gals – get it together for us please. At least let us know you are working on it. We have spent many many hours on a 112 page book, only to  have the font mess up again and again. Having second thoughts about this software, should we look elsewhere? Time is money!

Posted by
Timelines
Feb 5, 2008 2:26pm PDT
Timelines

Timelines,

Our next release of BookSmart will fix a lot of the text problems that some of you are experiencing. When we have more info on that release, you guys will be the first to know. Until then, please poke around our Forums for suggestions on workarounds.

Many thanks for your patience on this.  

– Kathy 

Posted by
kathybad
Feb 5, 2008 5:58pm PDT
kathybad