Tips and Tricks

I wish there was a way to edit and upload the book again without having to purchase it again

I hope this doesn’t happen to me but it seems there’s always a chance that even after careful editing and proofreading that you’ll later find spelling error or minor changes in design needed. Changing it and uploading the book again is one thing, but Blurb’s policy that requires the publisher to purchase at least one copy of that book is little bit too much, I think.

Because say you have already ordered the book and got it, and the change you want to make is little adjustment.. such as shifting letters or photos to right or left just little bit, or changing words or spelling correction… You don’t want to purchase second copy just for those changes. Especially if the book’s over 200 pages and price is hefty.

I’m just waiting on my first blurb book to arrive and this just came up to my mind. I wish there was a system that allows the publisher not having to purchase the book if it’s essentially the same book that he/she has already purchased once before making minor changes.

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
kaychae
Apr 5, 2011 10:57pm PDT
kaychae

I doubt that this will ever change. Blurb is a business.  No business is going to give a customer a free replacement because the customer wants to change something.

Posted by
loricherokee
Apr 6, 2011 4:53am PDT
loricherokee

I agree. I had to make changes on my book. And it is annoying to have to buy the same book again. I want to make a profit too. So far Blurb is the only one who has made a profit off my work.  We certainly have to pay for our mistakes! I wish there was a better system, at least for the authors. 

Posted by
klcotton71
Apr 28, 2011 5:53am PDT
klcotton71

That would be nice.

Posted by
Thena
May 12, 2011 12:41pm PDT
Thena

It would be good if you could buy a Proof copy from Blurb that is not bound – just loose pages, at cost price. It could have Proof written across every page like when you print it at home. You could then use it to make any final minor changes before ordering the final copy.

Posted by
jeffsubi
May 18, 2011 6:32am PDT
jeffsubi

That’s a very good idea jeffsubi, that’s what I miss at Blurb the possibility to make a Proof copy.

Posted by
erzebeth
May 23, 2011 1:48pm PDT
erzebeth

I guess the only way is to just buy the book in the cheapest soft cover version and then use that as a proof before ordering the final copy.

Posted by
bozzie10
Jul 27, 2011 10:27pm PDT
bozzie10

Having to pay for the proof isn’t really a bad thing, when there is something else that is provided free of charge. Everything costs. Think about it like this: You don’t pay the dentist just for cleaning your teeth when you get your teeth cleaned, you pay more for the cleaning than it really costs, in order to cover other overhead the dentist has.

Come on. What blurb does is awesome!

p.s. The one ‘proof’ of something that will never be recreated, that you own, could be worth millions…one day…if you’re really good…maybe.?

Posted by
Crawfish_Pot
Jul 28, 2011 11:58am PDT
Crawfish_Pot

It would be good if this happen but i agree it is a business and i think that they will not do replacement.But they should think about it ,this will make there customers feel better.

Posted by
dmwj80
Aug 29, 2011 9:21am PDT
dmwj80

There’s a saying that in publishing, the only person guaranteed to be paid is the printer. :-)

I love the idea of an unbound proof copy. But no matter how you slice it, it costs money and manpower to make, and there is no way for Blurb to ensure that you actually make corrections and actually order a second copy.

Perhaps if they had an option that used their proofing watermark, and then gave you a coupon for your next order. Similar to the swatch kit. Not an impossible suggestion…

Posted by
Witimagery
Sep 5, 2011 11:55pm PDT
Witimagery

I’ve learnt after 13 books that every moment spent in careful checking – layout, font, text, spelling, tweaking images for extra contrast and brightness, readjusting cropping, resizing pixel counts, horizontal adjustments to images etc. repays itself many times over. Resist the temptation to hold the finished article as soon as possible – just make sure it really is about as complete as possible before uploading – page by page. You may not eliminate every single niggling irritation, but you will have a far more satisfying product. Very rarely have I found any problem to be the fault of blurb – they just process what you upload. I find I’m spending more time in checking than in creating the book in the first place – but it works. 

Posted by
ianto25
Sep 22, 2011 10:35pm PDT
ianto25