Tips and Tricks

photoshopped text saved as JPG.

Hi to all!

I’m looking for an  advice- urgent!

For my book i made layouts in photoshop- including texts. When sutisfied with results- saved files as JPG, 300 dpi, sRGB ,quality around 12, and then exported into the Booksmart. Viewing in Booksmart i noticed that layouts with text have ugly pixels around letters. I think it’s called  jpeg arifacts. Why is this happening? Is my monitor the problem ? (although in photoshop the text looked great!)  And most important- how do i fix this???

I REALLY need help, and fast, otherwise my work for last few months is useless!

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
kmeiry
Oct 28, 2007 11:09pm PDT
kmeiry

Hello kmeiry;

BookSmart does occassionally have problems in that it appears to pixelate images…

Try viewing your page at 100%; does that change things?

Try viewing in "Review" mode, rather than "Edit" mode; does that change things?

Chhers;

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Oct 29, 2007 1:30am PDT
lkb-28

Shouldn’t print work be CMYK?

Posted by
jlc767
Oct 29, 2007 11:20am PDT
jlc767

Hi kmeiry –

The image quality that you see in BookSmart does not represent what the final print quality will be. In fact, BookSmart is using a smaller copy of your original image for display purposes. Using these smaller image copies helps keep the BookSmart application running more quickly. 

To get a better idea of what the final printed book will look like, you can print a test on a local printer. The images sent to your printer aren’t using your original full quality JPGs either—but it should give you a better idea.

Most importantly, if you’re not seeing any "image warnings" in BookSmart, and your JPGs are at 300dpi, you should be fine.  

Posted by
JackLyon
Oct 29, 2007 5:34pm PDT
JackLyon

kmeiry,

The above answers are most likely the culprit, but jpeg’s are known to be iffy with text as jpeg’s are a lossy image type, that discards pixels that aren’t discernible to the human eye during compression.  Try saving your files as .PNG, which is portable network graphics file type, which is notably better at displaying text and line work at it is a lossless file format.  I hope I have this technical data correct.  Please correct me if I am wrong.  

Best of luck,

Mike

Posted by
senorjerome
Dec 25, 2008 12:41am PDT
senorjerome