General Interest

PDF of book

Hello,

I am interested to know if it is possible to get a PDF or DOC preview of the book, not only a printed version.

Best regards,

Javier Pastor

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
fj_pastor
Jul 31, 2007 4:41pm PDT
fj_pastor

Si, Yes, just put "print to pdf", that´s all.

You´ll get a file of your book. Then you can e mail it and/or print whenever you want

Chau!

Roxana

Posted by
roxana
Jul 31, 2007 7:40pm PDT
roxana

what do you mean by "print to pdf"?  Can you explain the process for those who do not know?

Posted by
jordanstarr
Aug 8, 2010 3:55pm PDT
jordanstarr

It is three years since Roxana made that post and looking at her profile she hasn’t been active in the forums since Autimn 2007 so I’ll jump in if that is OK?

To create a PDF you need a PDF writer. This, when installed, pretends to be a printer and will show up in your list of printers. To use it you simply do a File….Print, select that "printer" choose the options and then print. It will prompt you for a file name and location and then produce the PDF. It’ll work with any application that prints not just BookSmart.

The main one is Adobe Acrobat (it was  Adobe who created the PDF standard) but for most home users that works out expensive – $300 to $450 depending on which version you go for.

But there are a number of cheaper clones on the market plus sime free ones. I use a free one called CutePDF. An internet search for "pdf writer" would throw up a list.

BUT, when you use the BookSmart File…Print option to print a local copy of your book it puts a "For proofing only" watermark on every page, as the PDF writer acts as a printer you will also get that watermark on every page of the PDF document. That’s OK for proofing and reviewing the book but not for sending to an alternate print shop.

…..Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Aug 8, 2010 9:42pm PDT
tfrankland

Thanks for this information.  I would like to make my book available as a PDF.  I am assuming that this is not really possible through this software, would that be correct?

Cheers -

george

Posted by
GLSmyth
Oct 12, 2010 6:56am PDT
GLSmyth

I’m afraid you’re right George. There’s no way around that watermark.

…..Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Oct 12, 2010 8:30am PDT
tfrankland

If I wanted to send my book to an alternate print shop, how would I do it?

Posted by
SHoliman
Sep 23, 2011 1:13pm PDT
SHoliman