General Interest

Preview of Book Online

My husband is out of state and I wanted him to be able to view our wedding book and proof the final before I placed the order so I could make any changes at home then re-upload it.  I have uploaded it to the site and even if he were to log in under my name he can’t view the book. I can’t send him the book file because he is on a networked computer and the firewall won’t allow him to download the software to view it. Is there any way you know of that he can view the entire book online? Thanks!

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
l19martin
Aug 1, 2007 6:44am PDT
l19martin

One idea that comes to mind is, you could make a a series of screenshots of the book’s preview pages and either put those on the web, say at Flickr or some such place which your husband can access, or you can email them to him directly.

Here is info about screenshots, scroll down for instructions for how to make them, on a Windows and Mac computers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screenshot

Hope this helps, best!

Posted by
Michal
Aug 1, 2007 7:22am PDT
Michal

Yea, I realized I could do that but was looking for something a little less time consuming. Thanks for your input though!

Posted by
l19martin
Aug 1, 2007 7:46am PDT
l19martin

The preview is only good for the first 15 pages. 

Posted by
pattahan
Aug 1, 2007 9:26am PDT
pattahan

Perhaps this is an option for you – saving and sending a PDF: http://forums.blurb.com/forums/3/topics/101

Posted by
kimlaama
Aug 1, 2007 5:10pm PDT
kimlaama

If I may add a quick niffy note to Pattahan’s comment…

Speaking of which, the preview PDF right off the Blurb site is very low quality PDF.

While you can print other version of preview right off your Booksmart app in PDF format, it is horrible quality. But this itself basically give you a better idea how your book looks like prior to publish your book (or upload your finished .book file).

Please note that you’ll notice a low-quality watermark stamped on every page of your preview PDF right off Booksmart.

Hope that helps. Cheers, Brian 

Posted by
brianbonitz
Aug 1, 2007 6:40pm PDT
brianbonitz

Hey Kimlaama,

Totally off-topic, but I happen to notice your pug in your profile picture.

I adores Pug. My grandma had a little pug called Molly. We like to call her as "Molly the Queen" and such a charming, sweet ‘lil Queen. Grandma cannot take care of herself for quite some time, so she had to give Molly away. Molly is very smart, and can be naughty at times. She knows that. (shakes my head softly with a big smile)

Cheers, Brian

Posted by
brianbonitz
Aug 1, 2007 6:43pm PDT
brianbonitz

@brianbonitz – Beulah is a little love bug, and she was the inspiration for my first Blurb Book: http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/3263

Posted by
kimlaama
Aug 6, 2007 1:42pm PDT
kimlaama

I am a little concerned that the reverse side of this argument means that it is very easy to take a screenshot from the online preview pages (I just tried it myself), and even though resulting images are not necessarily of a decent quality for printing, they are perfectly ok for low resolution internet images such as those used on web pages.

I also appreciate that in many cases there will only be a fairly limited number of images visible within the first 15 pages of the book, but it does mean that those images can easily be "stolen" by unscrupulous users.

Is there no way that online screenshots can be blocked from the preview area? After all, anyone creating the book will have their own digital versions of the images to begin with and could easily do a screenshot in Booksmart (unless it is blocked there also which seems pointless).The advantage in Booksmart is that you can zoom in on the page easily too.

Whilst many books may only contain "holiday snaps", I am quite certain that there are a lot more which contain quality images which are extremely "appetizing" and which would not otherwise be freely available to the general public. I love the preview feature, but just feel that this is one small issue which perhaps needs  some consideration.

J

Posted by
printmania
Aug 13, 2008 10:57pm PDT
printmania