General Interest

Locked I am so pleased with the colour!

I have just received my very first blurb book. In short, I am absolutely delighted.

I was very worried, as after reading through these forums, I expected to receive a book full of badly printed images with dull colours. But this is absolutely not the case. My hardback 8"x10" book has 140 pages of really well printed colour photography. And a fantastic dust jacket!

I didn’t follow all the colour profiling rules discussed in other forum topics, as I didn’t understand them. I took all my images at 10megapixels on a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50. I downloaded them and left them all as ‘RGB’. I did a quick tweak to each – increasing the contrast by between 10% and 15% in Photoshop, judging it by eye on my iBook (which doesn’t  have a colour-calibrated screen).

Then I put them all into Blurb and hit ‘order’ and hoped for the best. I got it. 

Just wanted to share this with anyone who uses a similar model camera, or who is nervous about giving the service a go after reading all the posts about colour.

Posted by
benjamlee
Aug 1, 2007 1:04pm PDT
benjamlee

I too have been greatly pleased.  If a problem ever existed, Blurb support was quick to fix it.

Posted by
Kiddawg
Aug 1, 2007 4:29pm PDT
Kiddawg

Benjamlee,

Well, I am glad that your first book working out nicely and exceptionally well for you, Ben.

I have been constantly fine-tuning and working on my three books, not yet uploaded to Blurb.

Finally, color is very important for me. I am very fussy about this issue. Also with quality issue. Other than that, once again, I am happy for you that you are pleased with your first book.

Cheers, Brian 

Posted by
brianbonitz
Aug 1, 2007 6:48pm PDT
brianbonitz

Benjamiee,

Did you upload 10 megapixel pictures rather than resize them? Did they print without cropping? How large was your file you uploaded.

Thanks,

Worldcrzr

Posted by
worldcrzr
Aug 2, 2007 7:31am PDT
worldcrzr

Hello Worldcrzr,

I did not resize the images at all. My files were 3648×2736 pixels – a little larger than blurb’s recommended size for a 10×8 book. My original camera files downloaded at around 3mb each, however the ones I adjusted the contrast of in Photoshop ended up being around 7mb each.

The full bleed images did get cropped a little when the book cut – but it is normal to lose some of the edge of each image as ‘bleed’ whatever printing process you are using. I was worried as some of my images were cropped to be perfectly central, and I was worried about losing some of the image down one side. But this outside edge trim actually matched the amount of image lost to the glue binding on the inside edge, so the subjects I photographed remained central in each image.

Hope this all helps! Ben 

Posted by
benjamlee
Aug 5, 2007 10:23am PDT
benjamlee

Generally the colour is good on my first book, but it definitly prints darker than expected. The hardcovers printed better colours than the softcovers so I am keeping it to the hardcover editions. I can imagine there will be further colour and print quality differences in the future, but that is a trade-in I am accepting for being able to print mostly good books to make my artwork more available. It’s still a good deal and customer service in the event of a lemon is an assurance that mistakes will be corrected. Honestly, 20 years we never had this. It’s a good thing even if it isn’t perfect.

Posted by
carlgopal
May 16, 2011 7:36am PDT
carlgopal