General Interest

Ebook Formatting on iPad- Why Landscape Only?

I just made my first ebook and checked it out on the iPad. It looks great, except for the fact that it forces my iPad into landscape mode, with two pages at a time displayed. I don’t have any other books which do that in iBooks— all other books give me the choice of reading portrait or landscape. This really makes the pictures in my book small. I didn’t see (and still don’t see) any documentation from Blurb that this was going happen. I used “standard portrait” size in Booksmart to make it. Anything I can do about this?

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
rchockley
Nov 24, 2011 6:04am PDT
rchockley

No answers from me but support in that I also dislike the two page spread. It’s counter intuitive. You have to zoom in to view a single page, swipe clumsily across to the next. Drives me mad.

Why can’t it be one page view?

It’s like the people that built it haven’t spent enough time playing with an iPad to appreciate how easy it is. They created something that feels like hard work in comparison. Very dissapointting.

Posted by
ludlites
May 6, 2012 9:47pm PDT
ludlites

Hi ludlites,

Thanks for the feedback. Our ebook files are specifically designed as a fixed format, which is of course different than the re-flowing ebooks you may be used to. This is the only way to maintain the original layout of the book.

Stay tuned for new ebook editing capabilities that will hopefully offer something to better fit your needs.

-Craig

Posted by
csm
May 7, 2012 4:41pm PDT
csm Icon_staff

I also do not like the two page spread and agree that it is counter intuitive. It would be much better to have a fixed format for one page which fills the entire iPad screen.

I also dislike the fact that Blurb made the iBookstore option live for a while, then withdrew it, and I have now been waiting so long for it to come back that I have found a different solution in the meantime.

I really, really like Blurb, but do not think they have handled the ebook format launch very well. I would also like to see templates for Kindle ebooks.

There are also sorts of vague promises and vague dates, just watch this space. I have been watching this space for so long now that I have found alternative solutions. A great shame, as I really like what Blurb does.

Posted by
lozan365
Jun 7, 2012 1:23am PDT
lozan365

I see there is a new ebook system in place. Does this fix the issue cited above, or are we still limited to landscape-only view, 2 pages at a time? I never read any other ebooks on my iPad this way.

Posted by
rchockley
Oct 25, 2012 10:12am PDT
rchockley

Hi rchockley,

We now offer a custom built ebook option within our InDesign plug-in, which utilizes most of the display area of an iPad. There is also an editor now available to further customize an ebook.

However, because we use a fixed format, i.e., non re-flowable, it’s not going to appear like standard ebooks. You can double tap on any page to zoom into the page and simply swipe to go to the next page.

-Craig

Posted by
csm
Oct 25, 2012 11:37am PDT
csm Icon_staff