General Interest

ISBN confusion

Hi
I have read a few posts, but just want to confirm a few things.

1) If I print and sell on Blurb do I need a USA ISBN or a Greek one (where I live)?
2) Does this apply to the ePub versions as well?

Thanks

I’m having a few issues with the Greek ISBN agent (the National Library of Greece) as their English site is NON-existent!!!

Thanks in advance

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
RobSnowBook
Mar 4, 2012 11:20am PDT
RobSnowBook

An ISBN is only required if you were wanting to sell your book on a third-party website (like Amazon) or through a chain bookstore. This is for their inventory management purposes and is necessary only because of the massive volume of books they stock.

If you are wanting people to buy direct from your Blurb profile then no, an ISBN is not required, no matter which format you are selling in. Unfortunately few people buy Blurb books ‘out of the blue’ so be sure to market your publication as much as possible on your own website, Facebook profile, etc.

You could print copies in bulk and see if a local independent bookstore would be interested in stocking it for you. Or ask a cafe about hosting a booksigning and displaying your work on their walls. 

Posted by
jayhawk2000
Mar 5, 2012 3:31pm PDT
jayhawk2000

I have been told that for ePublishing I will need an ISBN as well. So this is the reason I had the ISBN added. However, Greece wants separate ISBN’s for ePub and print and I can’t seem to find how I can simply upload a ePub version, with its specific ISBN.

Posted by
RobSnowBook
Apr 24, 2012 5:59am PDT
RobSnowBook