General Interest

More-money-than-sense of simple insanity might help?

I’m considering selling my book with a courtesy pack of crayons for the potential buyer to eat!  

I received my first book this morning, and I’m very impressed by the quality and feel of the book [softcover]. And it will certainly prove to be a wonderful lifetime/experience keepsake, as was its main intention.

But… at 20UKP + 5UKP for shipping, I can’t help but think it’s a frightening amount for others to potentially buy into. It certainly doesn’t feel like a 30UKP book in the hands! 

I guess it’s a devil and the deep blue sea scenario, but as pleased as I am with the result, there’s a part of me that almost feels obliged to warn potential buyers to lower their expectation due to the price alone.

Has anyone had any experience of buyers actually throwing a book back at them when they eventually get hold of it? Should I disable the hardcover option, just in case? Or simply buy a book crash helmet?  

Or maybe I should’ve investigated its pop-up Free Hug potential; the book could then immidiately console the buyer. 

I’m looking for reassurance… 

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
nigeollis
Jun 6, 2012 4:34am PDT
nigeollis

And where’s a smell chucker when you need one in the forum…

"More-money-than-sense OR simple insanity might help?"

Ahem.

Posted by
nigeollis
Jun 6, 2012 4:36am PDT
nigeollis

You never know until you try. I would add the the e-book version, because that allows you to offer attractive price.

Posted by
editionh
Jun 7, 2012 7:31am PDT
editionh

I have to completely agree with you. the  prices for blurb books are as high, that you cannot sell them anymore – or if you really find a buyer, he thinks, that he overpaid it a lot.

Many (former) Blurb clients think like this. But there is also a good news: most of your local printer companys will be happy to print books-on-demand for you. at least in the quality of blurb, and starting from a few books already, much cheaper than blurb.
Just go out and get the quotes.

I have done that for several book projekts now succesfully. on the other hand I wondered why all my local printers lowered there prices over the last two years, and blurb has risen them drastically again.

to be honest, I wonder, why blurb is still in business with these prices. Unless they cut there prices in half, they are really no more competitive – at least as long as people are not to lazy to look around for alternatives.

Posted by
philllie1
Jun 8, 2012 12:48am PDT
philllie1

Hi Both…  : )

editionh: I’m not a user of e-books [nor currently a slave to the Apple juggernaut ], so can’t actually verify a ‘version’ of that – otherwise I might be tempted. [If I ever did succumb, it’s certainly worth looking into; the price differential being so relatively vast.]

Phillie1:  All very interesting points. I’ve only recently become aware of the possibilities that something like Blurb offers, so I guess it’s inevitable that ‘local printers’ become aware of this and begin to compete. It’s definitely something I’d investigate. [e.g. I’m contemplating a photography book at some point. Even I’d have to sell a kidney to buy a copy! If I were to put a little bit of proportional profit on top, it’s hard to imagine anyone else selling both of theirs!!]

Posted by
nigeollis
Jun 11, 2012 11:53am PDT
nigeollis

It will be hard to find printers who do single prints. In general you can do cheaper books when you order 50 or more copies from a local printer. But you can do that with Blurb too.

I have calculated what the true costs of packing,shipping,accounting and correspondence are if I would ship books myself. You can forget it…..Your profits will be eaten up. Also in my country there are legal regulations for mail order businesses that make such an enterprise on a very small scale totally uninteresting.

Posted by
editionh
Jun 18, 2012 1:10am PDT
editionh

Well, I guess that’s where the ‘research’ comes in. But it’s interesting to know you’ve looked at the extras, too, and decided it makes things as equally prohibitive.

I have to say, when I found out, I felt the bulk discounts offered by Blurb – certainly when you consider them over and above a one-off copy [albeit from a fairly ignorant standpoint!] – seemed a little miserly, on the face of it.

Posted by
nigeollis
Jun 18, 2012 8:17am PDT
nigeollis