General Interest

Locked We'd like to hear from you about the future of our forums

As our offering has gotten more complex over the years our forums have gone mostly untouched. We’d like to dust off our forum interface and giving it a much needed face lift. That’s not to say you won’t see this familiar look for the foreseeable future though, as any changes are quite a ways off. We’d like to know what you like, don’t like, and everything in-between. 

Some things we’re thinking about:
  • Ability to edit or remove posts later
  • Notifications of responses to your post
  • Direct reply to post
  • Rated replies
  • User post stats

Finally, how important is it that legacy forum posts are imported into the new system? If this is important, how far back should we go?

-Craig

Posted by
csm
Aug 28, 2012 10:31am PDT
csm Icon_staff

It would be nice to be able to edit posts, like, say, if you’d typed "here" instead of "hear" in your header …

Notifications of responses would be nice, too. The other three I could live without.

Posted by
Maharg
Aug 29, 2012 5:49am PDT
Maharg

Oh, I think you should include all posts for at least a year in your new system. Another thing that would be nice would be for threads to be automatically locked after, say, six months of inactivity. As you know, occasionally irrelevant threads from several years ago are (probably unwittingly) revived.

Posted by
Maharg
Aug 29, 2012 5:52am PDT
Maharg

Thanks Maharg- I couldn’t agree more.

-Craig

Posted by
csm
Aug 29, 2012 7:38am PDT
csm Icon_staff

Hi Craig, good topic for discussion!

My initial thoughts:-

# I agree with Maharg on automatic locking, but I’d make it after 12 months.

# The option to state and save my time zone so I see what the real time was when the posts were made rather than what the date and time was in San Francisco then I can judge whether I’m making a timely reply without lots of mental arithmetic.

# The ability to edit/delete a post. But I think once a reply has been posted changes/deletion should be locked, it could be really confusing trying to follow the thread with points in posts being commented on only to have those points removed from the original post.

# I’d vote like Maharg for a notification option so I know when posts I’ve made have been replied to, sometimes I forget to look – especially embarassing if they have asked a follow up question.

# An option to quickly see a list of (recent) posts I have yet to read. Implies some form of tag to say I’ve read them though. If the latter not possible maybe an option to say show me the posts made in the last (say) 24 hours (maybe timeframe could be adjustable).

#  A "Report SPAM" button. Letting you know when I see a bunch of spam posts takes way longer now you’ve "improved" your Contact Support dialogue. All those (very tempted to put an expletive here) options and questions may make life easier for your team when the e-mail arrives but it makes raising a simple issue quite frustrating these days – why do you need to know which web browser and operating  system I was using when I spotted the spam?

#  A BIG banner on home page of the forums saying how, and when, to contact Customer Support and that forums are mainly for user-to-user communication. Most people will not sit down and read the Community Guidelines before making their first post so do not realise that the forums are not the way to get help from Blurb staff. Or on a user’s first use of the forums suggest they read the Community Guidelines.

#  Ability to upload an image into the post rather than having to spend time uploading it to another site then pasting that url into the "tree" pop-up in the post itself.

#  An option to send a poster a private message PLUS an option for a user to say yes or no to receiving private messages.

#  I’m not sure about statistics, could be interesting. But how about a book token for every 500 posts – that would mean you owe me about six or seven book tokens now :-) Maybe I should have made each of these suggestions via a separate post?

…..Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Sep 3, 2012 8:30am PDT
tfrankland

Another thought Craig……

The forums are pretty big now (about 27,000 posts from looking at the Forums Home page) so a slightly more intelligent search mechanism would be useful. Being able to use AND and OR in searches would be great as would being able to search for posts from a particular user (e.g. me – I often end up repeatig informastion I’ve put in a previous post because I can’t find it to refer to).

…..Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Sep 4, 2012 9:38am PDT
tfrankland

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the suggestions and we’ll see what we can implement. As far as us asking for browser and operating system; I’m not sure we still ask for this. I would try clearing your cache and seeing if it still asks (sometimes old sessions get stuck if you don’t do this).

-Craig

Posted by
csm
Sep 4, 2012 10:35am PDT
csm Icon_staff

Interesting topic.

As a member and web master on a few forums, the only thing I could add to your lists would be making your forum more visible.

It would add to your user base and provide valuable information that sometimes is not addressed in the Q & A section.

Respectfully.

Posted by
Annarchy
Sep 12, 2012 9:09am PDT
Annarchy

Voice from the past. I couldn’t help myself. I echo everyone’s really good suggestions. Hi Tony and CSM. Looking forward to the changes, though I have to admit I don’t hang out here like I used too. ; )

Posted by
kathybad
Sep 13, 2012 9:39pm PDT
kathybad

I’d be a lot happier if I didn’t have to copy my post to the clipboard, re-login, paste to a new reply window and re-post everytime I write a lenthy post.

Mike

Posted by
Charybdis
Sep 28, 2012 3:47pm PDT
Charybdis

Also, the word "here" in the thread title should be "hear".  Now would be a good time to have a post editing feature :)

Mike

Posted by
Charybdis
Sep 30, 2012 12:14am PDT
Charybdis

It would be nice to share links to new books on the forums. A section where you can write about your project besides the profile.

Posted by
npadro
Oct 19, 2012 7:11pm PDT
npadro