General Interest

Change is coming to the forums

Seeing the announcement of the new forums’ software was locked, thus not allowing comment or questions, I thought I’d start a new thread.

There is a wealth of information for users, both new and experienced, in the existing forums. Some indication of the new, hopefully wonderful, features of the new forums that will bring benerift to Blurb users (not Blurb staff) that will compensate us for the loss of this information source would have been a useful part of your announcement.

….Tony

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
tfrankland
Dec 3, 2012 2:27pm PDT
tfrankland

I just took my first look at Yahoo Answers in response to the announcement.

I find it a bit challenging to think that format represents an improvement.

Why does Blurb persist in trying to reinvent the wheel when there are multiple proven forum software choices available.  

Posted by
deanej
Dec 3, 2012 3:39pm PDT
deanej

@Tony- To be honest, I’m surprised you don’t agree that much of the info in our forums is painfully outdated, not to mention lacking key features. Yes, there are a few good posts that still ring true today- mostly thanks to you- but even those are drowning under a sea of misinformation. The information that is current- specifically repeat questions- should live on as either a tutorial, FAQ, or eventual improvements to book creation products. We will try to archive the current forums, but quite frankly, it becomes costly to support a platform that is no longer used (see reasons to move below).

@deanej- Our new forums will actually part of an entirely new help center platform, which will be provided via a third party. This will allow us to focus less on forum functionality (since this is provided by someone else) and more on the actual content located within. So hopefully not so much re-inventing as refining.

The goal is to provide users a more communal- and helpful- experience while not letting the technology get in the way. At least we hope so.

ps: I’m happy to chat with either of you offline about this (mention this thread if you do).

-Craig

Posted by
csm
Dec 4, 2012 11:00am PDT
csm Icon_staff