General Interest

a book by non u.s. citizen in blurb bookstore

I think the staff can answer this question for me please. I saw a book in the bookstore by a photographer who lives in Sweden. How come he’s able to sell his book ? I thought only U.S. citizens could do that for now. Being a Canadian, I’m really interested in the answer. I just published a book and would like to announce it on Blurb and was under the impression that I will have to wait till next year when you guys sort this glitch out.

Thanks.

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
rinasingh
Dec 15, 2007 7:38am PDT
rinasingh

I wouldn’t call it a glitch (ie <font size="2">a sudden break in function or continuity, sometimes of a transient nature, usually minor). It’s business xenophobia – a fear of doing business overseas.  It’s a character flaw, businesswise.   </font>

Posted by
EXO
Dec 28, 2007 7:45pm PDT
EXO

Glitch..sort of like the unwanted <font size>messages in the prior posting…

;-o

Posted by
EXO
Dec 28, 2007 8:07pm PDT
EXO

I’m a Brit and I’ve just published a book on Blurb.

Posted by
thompp
Dec 31, 2007 7:55am PDT
thompp

You can have your book in the Blurb Bookstore, but only at cost- you can’t realize a profit if you are a non- U.S. taxpayer. The Swede probably has his book listed at his cost price….....

However, as staff have noted before they are working on making it possible for all of us foreigners to sell at a profit- by the end of Q1

Posted by
cantudoit2
Dec 31, 2007 10:32am PDT
cantudoit2

technically it’s not just US citizens but limited to those legally resident in the US – I’m a US citizen, but I live in England and that’s what the fine print says.   I could get checks sent to my parents house, though – I guess.  But I’m not currently interested in making any money off the books, so I don’t care.

Posted by
ingridk
Jan 1, 2008 5:41am PDT
ingridk

I’m confused. You produced a book – presumably by quite a bit of hard work. And then you handed it over to Blurb and said, "here, sell this and keep all the money"? Blurb must love you.

John

Posted by
floyduk
Jan 3, 2008 6:22pm PDT
floyduk

John, that’s exactly how Blurb are treating the foreign authors, you hit the nail on the head.

Not Amazon, whose printing operation (CreateSpace) already has arranged how to deal with foreign authors. Makes Blurb’s management look real slow, takes away any excuse they may have that "It’s all too hard, but thanks for letting us keep all the money!"

Posted by
EXO
Jan 5, 2008 4:44am PDT
EXO

Paul, can you tell me more about Amazon? I’d like to check them out

frances 

Posted by
fschling
Jan 31, 2008 10:32am PDT
fschling

Thanks fot that reference Paul, I hadn’t realised that they did that..

Frances, here’s their website, they do much more tan books…...

http://www.createspace.com/Products/BooksOnDemand.jsp

.........Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Jan 31, 2008 10:45am PDT
tfrankland

A legal copyright question, that perhaps someone knows the answer to… Can Blurb actually sell our books without paying the authors a royalty fee?  I know that making them public allows others to buy at cost, but if they are copyrighted, shouldn’t Blurb still owe the author something since they are making a profit?

Posted by
gniewosz
Feb 13, 2008 4:37am PDT
gniewosz

Found the answer from Blurb perspective in the T&Cs:

A. License to print your Books. You hereby grant to Blurb a non-exclusive, worldwide, fully-paid and royalty-free license (a “License”) to reproduce and distribute your Book Content for the purpose of printing the Books that you order or that you authorize for purchase by others, and for any other related purpose that you authorize (including the use by other Members as a contribution to their Books).

But I would still be interested to know if this clause holds water in the rest of the world, or whether national laws override this????

Posted by
gniewosz
Feb 13, 2008 4:50am PDT
gniewosz

So, if you all just can’t stand Blurb selling your books w/o you getting some profit, take them out of the bookstore.  Blurb is not forcing anyone to sell their books through the bookstore.  They have said numerous times that they will soon have a system together for other countries.  You also have the option of buying in bulk, and selling your own books if you think there is great demand.

As for the copyright issue, I can’t believe their lawyers have not checked this out pretty carefully and that what they’re doing is entirely legal.   

Posted by
dagree
Feb 13, 2008 9:59am PDT
dagree

Fyi… I have taken them out of the bookstore.  I have also bought bulk and selling them through Amazon, but it is not very cost effective having to pay so much postage to just keep shipping them around the world (to Europe and then back again to US), let alone not being very good for the environment.

Posted by
gniewosz
Feb 16, 2008 1:01pm PDT
gniewosz