General Interest

An idea for international authors

I was thinking about this question of how non-US citizens might be able to sell books through Blurb and I have an idea that I’d like to run past you folks.

If I was to sell my book to a customer and take payment for it myself through paypal, I could then place an order for the book through blurb myself and set the delivery address to my customer’s address. Blurb would then, presumably, ship the book to my customer wherever they are in the world. Blurb would get paid by me instead of my customer and I’d get to keep my cut of the sale price.

How does this sound? Clearly I would be responsible for any tax implications arising from this additional income. Blurb wouldn’t have to worry about that. And the only down-side to the process is really that it’s one extra step in the process where I have to basically re-type my customer’s order into the Blurb system.

Any thoughts?

John

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
floyduk
Jan 4, 2008 8:49am PDT
floyduk

thought about this too but the admin and the extra step scares me a little … what if EVERYONE wants to buy a copy  ? :):)

Posted by
naftalina007
Jan 16, 2008 3:39am PDT
naftalina007

I think that’s a good idea … I was wondering what the STAFF has to say about it ?

Posted by
udgang99
Jan 25, 2008 11:26am PDT
udgang99

What about returns and other complaints?  Would that pose a potential problem?

Posted by
dius
Jan 25, 2008 12:36pm PDT
dius

Sounds like a plan, only if the quality is lacking they will return to you for returns etc, As you can;t check the quality yourself before it is shipped, that might be an problem.

More so when the customer lives in Europe and thus gets his book printed there. There are major quality issues with that printer so I would not want them to send directly to the client.

Better order a stack and ship them yourself after checking them carefully 

Posted by
fschling
Jan 31, 2008 10:38am PDT
fschling

@fschling : "There are major quality issues with that printer"

What …??? There are problems with the Holland-printer? What problems? I’m expecting my first book one of these days, and this is the first I hear of a problem with that printer. Please tell me some more. 

Posted by
udgang99
Feb 4, 2008 1:50am PDT
udgang99

In Australia, I received a book from the european printer, whoever that was. The quality of the printing was excellent. The Hardcover binding split with normal reading use. I suspect this might be the problem…

As for ordering a stack, and shipping the books separately, that ALSO raises issues of why our end product should be burdened by double shipping costs. These books, being from international authors, would incur a second set of shipping costs. My book is designed for the US market, and someone would advicate I ship them here (Philippines / Australia) and then post them back to the US? To say nothing of the holding costs. Lets be real, and continue to pressure blurb to pull their finger out.

Posted by
EXO
Feb 4, 2008 5:17am PDT
EXO