General Interest

Thanks from a first time user

Just wanted to say thanks for a great service!

I had planned to make my wife a book of pictures from the year as an extra christmas present. When I mentioned it at work someone told me that they’d had a book made by blurb. I downloaded your software and it was so much easier to use (and had more options) than the stuff I’d started to use on a photo printer’s website.

This was about 10 days before your cutoff for Christmas delivery so I was risking a lot by scrapping what I’d already set up and starting again with the Blurb software. I also had to spend time going through all our photos as I hadn’t finished that yet. Because the blurb software was so easy I had the time to go through all the photos I was going to use and ‘clean them up’ in photoshop. There’s no way I’d have had time for the cleanup otherwise.

Then, on the last possible day I hit the order button, it uploaded first time. I was so happy with the layout, I knew that i’d be lynched if I didn’t get copied of the book for our Mums and Dads and close family, I upped the order from one hardback to include 4 softbacks too… quite a risk when I hadn’t seen what you could do yet.

A few days later I was looking at the forums section and saw some negative reviews and I started to get worried, people having late deliveries, inconsistent cropping on the same book etc etc. Crumbs! I could see that your team were responding to these and it put my mind at rest a little, but  it still meant I might not get the books in time for Xmas or they might not be right!

A few days before Xmas eve and the last possible moment for delivery I wondered if anything was going to arrive, I checked my account and got a link for UPS, great! I was able to track my order as it made it’s way towards me and it even got here the day before you’d estimated!

When I tore open the package I was delighted, all 5 books, pristine and looking fantastic. 10×8 images with full bleed looking great and all those templates provided in the software made the photos look pro!

So, lots of upsides – early delivery, great quality, good value!

But one downside -  You guys had at least 4 members of my family in tears on Xmas day when they saw the great books! ;-)

Thanks so much, this will definitely be an annual Xmas pressie for the family, we were all so happy with it!

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
zootlewurdle
Jan 13, 2008 8:22am PDT
zootlewurdle

hi, good to read that, be cause I am working on my first one.

Thanks forr your post. It makes me feel much better now. How the softbacks turne

out ?  what kind of paper they use on the softbacks and do you see see whole side ?

Visi 

Posted by
Visi
Jan 14, 2008 8:55am PDT
Visi

I also want to say kudos to the Blurb team. I uploaded my first book on Friday January 4 at 4 p.m. and exactly 7 days later my initial order of one proof copy (softcover 8×10) was on my door step.

A 214 page memoir of my dad’s time in WWII.

It looks fantastic! Quality is very good – no problem with loose pages, etc. I am now proofing it all one more time and will tweak a few things, and then will order a hard copy and let my family know it is ready for them.

I am just terrifically impressed – after 4 months of working on the manuscript and getting pictures and documents chosen and scanned and then layed out!! 

Thank you. I am already planning the next book!

Luke (aka Nebraskaboy )

Posted by
Nebraskaboy
Jan 14, 2008 5:11pm PDT
Nebraskaboy

Hi Visi, sorry for the late reply.

If anything I’m happier with the softbacks than the hardback as I think the dust jacket is likely to get a bit tatty after a couple of years. Next time I think I will order a hardback but make sure that I don’t have any text that’s not reproduced inside the actual book on the dust jacket. Then I’ll look into getting the hardcover embossed in some way. (Happy to hear from anyone that knows where this service might be possible!)

The paper quality in each is the same (or at least close enough that I don’t see a difference).

Not quite sure what you mean by seeing the whole side..?

Cheers,

Zoot 

Posted by
zootlewurdle
Jan 26, 2008 3:45am PDT
zootlewurdle