General Interest

Anyone copyrighted their book?

Has anyone applied for and paid for a copyright for their book?

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
BlackDoll
Jan 15, 2008 12:03pm PDT
BlackDoll

In the UK there is no need to register or pay anybody to ensure you have the copyright, you just need the copyright statement that Blurb so helpfully put put in their templates.

From work I have done when I was in the US I’m pretty certain it is the same there and I’d be surprised if it was any different elsewhere.

......Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Jan 15, 2008 12:18pm PDT
tfrankland

I’m just using the blurb template and adding a few more words for extra security. Check out other peoples books and see what is generally termed.

Posted by
Woodlandia
Jul 13, 2011 2:04am PDT
Woodlandia

Tony’s right. Copyright just happens; you don’t need to do a thing. Patents are a different matter, but unless you invent a book that can make coffee, this isn’t an issue.

Posted by
Maharg
Jul 14, 2011 5:04pm PDT
Maharg

This is true, once your work has been published, you have your copyright, but it may be important to you to have your work registered with the copyright office if you like.

You can visit their site at www.copyright.gov and read their information about registering your work, they also offer forms and online registration electronically.

This is from their site:

When is my work protected?
Your work is under copyright protection the moment it is created and fixed in a tangible form that it is perceptible either directly or with the aid of a machine or device.

Do I have to register with your office to be protected?
No. In general, registration is voluntary. Copyright exists from the moment the work is created. You will have to register, however, if you wish to bring a lawsuit for infringement of a U.S. work. See Circular 1, Copyright Basics, section “Copyright Registration.”

Why should I register my work if copyright protection is automatic?
Registration is recommended for a number of reasons. Many choose to register their works because they wish to have the facts of their copyright on the public record and have a certificate of registration. Registered works may be eligible for statutory damages and attorney’s fees in successful litigation. Finally, if registration occurs within 5 years of publication, it is considered prima facie evidence in a court of law. See Circular 1, Copyright Basics, section “Copyright Registration” and Circular 38b, Highlights of Copyright Amendments Contained in the Uruguay Round Agreements Act (URAA), on non-U.S. works.

Posted by
EvangelistET
Jul 18, 2011 9:57am PDT
EvangelistET

Can I heve a direct answer on this situation? I have Artwork and Poetry that I created and have stored in electronic and physical form with a statement of ‘© 2010 Qrhea/sad’  It is automatically copyrighted by/to myself, the because it is retrievable.  So I ‘Own’ the copyright to my material when I produce a book with this book manufacturer called ‘Blurb’; Correct?

Posted by
QRhea
Jan 12, 2012 2:32pm PDT
QRhea

I am not a licensed attorney dispensing legal advice

QR- the only way to get an accurate and complete ‘direct answer’ is to talk to a laywer who specializes in ‘Intellectual Property’ in your country. Copyright law varies, regulations vary,  but in the most general of terms, you own the copyright in original material you create. 

Laws vary but generally whoever reproduces the work does not gain copyright. As noted above, in some countries (such as the USA) registration is essential in order to sue for any significant financial damages.

Posted by
BGryphon
Jan 14, 2012 7:36am PDT
BGryphon

Yes I have done the entire process myself, and saved money and time.  It is just a matter of answering simple questions on the copyright.gov website.  You may file online with their eCo sumbission.  It is less expensive ($35).  When completed, you simply upload a pdf of your book. 

(A second method : you print out a shipping form from their site and mail them 2 physical copies within 30 days) so there are two separate ways to complete your copyright.

Also You can get your own ISBN online in 10 mins.   It is simply answering questions and paying for it.  (125.00? I think for one ISBN # ar you can order 10 ISBN #‘s for the price of two, {each different version of your book req’s a separate ISBN #, paperback, hard cover, IPAD etc})) 

They also allow you to print up your own unique ‘Bar Code’ with your ISBN # and Retail price all scanable from every retailer.  You can enter searchable ‘Meta-data’ for your book. 

I hope I have been of some Assistance.  If not technically, at least in the knowledge that Yes You can do it all yourself, as I did. Cheers!

I did everything myself.  You don’t need to pay a service or lawyer up to 800 dollars, do it yourself and save.  

Posted by
QRhea
Feb 1, 2012 2:11pm PDT
QRhea

if I have prepared and downloaded my book on a PC can I order more books using a new IPAD to order more?

Posted by
musicolony
Apr 18, 2012 10:53am PDT
musicolony