General Interest

Locked Coupons/Discount Codes?

Hi all.. just wanted to ask if there was any plans in the works to offer dedicated folks here some decent discount codes?  I know you offer the occasional $8 of shipping which is fine.. and there is teh multi-book 10% off or so.. but I’ve spent a few thousand dollars in the past few months and was hoping for perhaps an occasional free book or 25% off your next order?  I do get these discounts with Mpix, Shutterfly and Kodak.. and while their books aren’t the same.. they are quite good and my clients like them just as much.  And.. with the discounts, I can charge the customer a reasonable price and still make a tiny profit.. with blurb, I cannot resell for a profit because the book prices would be too high – a discount would help a great deal.

Anyway.. just thought I’d ask and guage the feeling of the group on this.. am I the only one that longs for a nice discount perk for us dedicated printers?

Thx…. 

Posted by
Jingothecat
Aug 11, 2007 1:21pm PDT
Jingothecat

Hello Jingothecat.

First and foremost, thanks for your dedication to Blurb. It is greatly appreciated!

You’re right in that we do offer free shipping from time to time and we do offer volume discounts that start at a quantity of just 10 books.  But wait, there’s more: To gain access to other upcoming promotional offers, we encourage everyone to sign up for Blurb’s monthly newsletter. It’s quippy, it’s full of tips and news, plus you’ll find some special deals on occasion.

You can opt in on your My Account page. Just check your newsletter status and edit it so that you are subscribed. Heads up: You can look forward to something special very soon…

Cheers,

Allison 

Posted by
allibehr
Aug 13, 2007 11:30am PDT
allibehr

Thx Allison – I have been a subscriber to the newsletter since day 1 of its announcement but I still haven’t seen any discounts beyond a free $8 shipping code last December.  While I know you guys need to make you money… it would be nice to try and compete with the other companies like Mpix and Shutterfly who do offer significant coupons – I love the Blurb books.. but would like to be able to make more than 5% on client books – it really isn’t worth the effort put in given the software.

If you were to offer monthly specials, $$ volume discounts (once you spend $1000 lifetime you get a 25% coupon on your next order) or buy 5 books, get 1 free type deals.. .your dedicated authors would be much appreciated!  Something to think about… unless I’m alone in this..

Thx again for the response though..

Posted by
Jingothecat
Aug 13, 2007 1:26pm PDT
Jingothecat

Jingo

I’m all for this!!

Pat T

Posted by
pattahan
Aug 13, 2007 2:16pm PDT
pattahan

Yes! Me too.

I have just ordered 2 books wiht $10 discount I got in the newsletter.

Posted by
roxana
Aug 18, 2007 2:40pm PDT
roxana

Funny..  I actually just received a 50% off plus free shipping coupons this week… Many thx for this!  It is a step in the "right" direction I believe.

Posted by
Jingothecat
Aug 20, 2007 7:44am PDT
Jingothecat

50% off, WOW!!! Now that’s a nice coupon, doubt I’ll ever see one of those.

I love the blurb too, my clients love the books as well, but it would be so NICE and appreciated if there were more coupons, even 10$ discounts would be great, but more often,  the more coupons, the more people will buy. I know many people waiting to try the blurb books, but are waiting for a deal. The blurb offered a free book once, just shipping and that’s how they hooked me, if they didn’t offer that special, I may not have ever got one. So I say, MORE coupons, we all benefit from them.

Thanks so much. 

Posted by
zoi
Nov 9, 2007 2:04pm PDT
zoi

yes i am a new member and i know lots of other companies whom even when your new you atleast get a free book to start or something…. with my publisher i use a discount almost everytime !  so yes this company really needs to think about a discount with the economy the way it is too !

thanks april

Posted by
Astrohmeierr
Feb 16, 2009 2:04pm PDT
Astrohmeierr

I totally agree with the other folks here in the forum.  Personally I have spent nearly $1500 on books here at blurb and have never recieved a coupon code.  I subscribe to the newsletter but have never seen a discount code in it. 

For some of us who are professional and offers these books to clients it’s almost impossible to turn a profit.  I also have ordered with mypublisher in the past because they always offer a good discount.  I photograph events and give the client 1 book per event… the probablility of ever getting a discount for a bulk order is unlikely as most brides don’t want 10 albums!

Like another poster here in the forum suggested, after $1000 of purchases, perhaps a 25% discount is in order?  

I hope that you consider the idea.

Posted by
janaina_nic
Jun 12, 2009 7:43am PDT
janaina_nic

Can’t agree more with the prior customer feedback.  I’ve only printed books using two-for-one discounts so far.

I also want to self-publish a whole series of photobooks that I’d like to see retailers pick up and resell at prices where everyone can make a bit (and the books end up at retail prices low enough that they can sell).  Unfortunately it looks like I’m stuck with Amazon’s CreateSpace for the moment.

I can’t wait to try Blurb, once your book specials and/or your volume wholesale prices become competitive.

Posted by
JeffSullivan
Jul 25, 2009 6:16pm PDT
JeffSullivan

I’ve been trying to get the newsletter ever since I joined Blurb – 4 months ago. I am signed up for it – never have received one. I’ve contacted Blurb Support about it. First time I was emailed a copy of the last issue – about 2 paragraphs of basically uninteresting useless stuff. I sent another request to Support last wk, got a response saying the problem was being looked into.

Posted by
loricherokee
Jul 26, 2009 7:42am PDT
loricherokee

I agree, lori.  I have signed up for the Blurb newsletter multiple times as well, and still have yet to received an email  And while i love Blurb and the books I’ve seen so far, I don’t know if I can justify the money when there are so many competitors who offer deals all the time…

Posted by
scilagrl
Aug 19, 2009 5:13am PDT
scilagrl

Lori & Scila,

Have you checked your spam filters?  They may have bee hijacked before you saw them.

Mike

Posted by
Charybdis
Aug 20, 2009 11:58am PDT
Charybdis

So, do we ever get coupon codes that are good for others?  I’ve gotten three coupon codes in the last month or two and each one has had that little comment about only being good for use on books you made.  Wow, how about a coupont hat I can give out to the people who might be interested in buying my book for Christmas? 

Blurb books are good quality and the customer service was excellent, but the little extras like promotions you can spread about (which I’ve gotten used to on photo/art print on demands) seem to be sorely lacking here.

Posted by
tismark
Nov 26, 2009 11:24am PDT
tismark

JingotheCat. Blurb was offering 20% off on books good thru 11/24 & it’s just been extended to 12/1. I used the original offer to order 2 of my books as Xmas presents. I go an email but I saw the offer on the Forum home pg.

Posted by
loricherokee
Nov 27, 2009 8:45am PDT
loricherokee

Can anyone list  these codes for those of us who don’t get the newsletter. Please post here or email to mrwhitsie@gmail.com. Thanks!

Posted by
mrwhitsie
Jan 5, 2010 6:55am PDT
mrwhitsie

im trying to get a coupon code as well, can you please post it here. thanks.

Posted by
purplenbee
Feb 2, 2010 2:25am PDT
purplenbee

I got the newsletter a couple of wks ago – no coupons in it. As far as I can tell, the last coupon was the one that expired in Dec.

Posted by
loricherokee
Feb 2, 2010 8:00am PDT
loricherokee

I have been signed up for the newsletter for quite a while and had forgotten all about it because I have never received a newsletter. I’ll try looking at my spam filter if I can find it.

Posted by
whaler33
Feb 9, 2010 1:12am PDT
whaler33

I agree with everyone!!! After printing with Mpix, Shutterfly, etc. I love Blurb, that’s the book I want to sell to my clients!!!

I think Blurb does make a lot of profit thanks to all of the great designers.

If they don’t want to offer discounts to the public like other companies, maybe they could be offer it to designers only. 

Posted by
tmlpbysandra
Feb 16, 2010 12:38am PDT
tmlpbysandra

Hi Guys,

Get over it.  I have ordered over 70+ books from Blurb and love them.  After much research over quality and pricing Blurb books surpass them all.   I use the coupons when they come out, would love to get more but will not stop me from using this service.  K & SF books are pretty poor quality and higher end printers are more expensive with the same quality as Blurb.   If you prefer a cheaper product for less money by all means go for it.  K & SF are waiting for you with their coupons.

Posted by
Nickson
Feb 17, 2010 6:40pm PDT
Nickson

Hello All,

I have been getting books from MyPublisher.com for a couple years now. I thought that it was time to try a new publisher, or at least see what else is out there. Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy currently. I thought tht maybe I could save some money and make more on my sales. Looks like Blurb is that same quality I have been used to , only because of the lack of coupon discounting, they are too expensive…sorry guys.

Posted by
AlanBC
Mar 29, 2010 11:14am PDT
AlanBC

I have found coupon codes on the net for as good as 20%…

expect they are only valid in europe and the US. why not canada, that doesnt seem fair. it seems like bullshit to me. … just a rant i guess.

share the wealth guys!

Posted by
m_x
Mar 31, 2010 6:24pm PDT
m_x

http://www.tjoos.com/Coupon/99866/Blurb.com

Posted by
m_x
Mar 31, 2010 6:30pm PDT
m_x

Hello, I live in Palm Springs, CA <del>-</del>

and the latest, and best Photo Shows to learn the latest is just ending today. I had intended and tried to attend your "free seminar" on Wednesday as my only participation in the event. I was not able to see your presentation as even though it was a free event, I would have needed to pay the $75 daily fee to the show.

I did question as to a special hosptality room or space that you might have at the show. The response was that you had none. I am sorry for having missed you discussion, but am now exploring all the magic you have available in your website and the forum. Thanks

Posted by
gateway
Apr 2, 2010 12:41pm PDT
gateway

Hi gateway,

Sorry to hear you couldn’t make it to the show. Blurb was there in full force and we absolutely had a booth. I don’t know who gave you that incorrect info but I shake my fist at them. ; )

I hope you continue to enjoy what we have to offer. The forum community is certainly here to help.

– Kathy

Posted by
kathybad
Apr 2, 2010 4:26pm PDT
kathybad

I agree, Shutterfly sends me discount and coupon emails almost weekly. I think you might want to consider offering some better discounts monthly. I have MANY mom friends who dont use you, even though they like your format better, just based on the fact that you dont offer promotions like the other book making companies do..just a thought….

Posted by
joemartens
Apr 12, 2010 7:35pm PDT
joemartens

So back to the earlier request.  Does anyone have current promo code that they’re willing to share here at the forum?  I’m a newbie and have not receive any newsletter or promo.  I’m starting my first business photo album and would like to offeset some of my expense.  Much appreciate

Posted by
star2star
Apr 18, 2010 8:58am PDT
star2star

I have to agree Jingo, there is a serious lack of incentive due to no coupon codes.  Mypublisher is excellent at this.  While their original prices may be a bit high, when you get a buy one get one offer or 40-50% off, which they frequently do, it makes the books quite a bit cheaper than blurb.  Not to mention, their standard paper on their large book is still quite a bit better quality and thicker than blurb’s premium paper.  The main downside: they only have two book sizes and a limit of 100 pages.  I think if they boost their pages and book sizes, they would have a huge increase in business.  Blurb may be doing well, and maybe they don’t need to offer coupon codes.  They do offer a lot of options, and for books over 100 pages I will use them until something better comes along.

Posted by
marcuspanek
May 20, 2010 6:34am PDT
marcuspanek

I got an email couple of weeks ago w/a promocode for premium paper. You have to order at least 2 books & the offer expires May 31. The code for US  is MAYPREMIUM. The email has disappeared from my computer. If you need codes for foreign countries you’ll have to contact Customer Service.

Posted by
loricherokee
May 20, 2010 9:12am PDT
loricherokee

I’ve printed 45 books with you guys, and have spent thousands and thousands of dollars on these titles that come from the school residency programs I do. I receive very little in the way of discounts which is disappointing.

Posted by
Dar_Hosta
May 26, 2010 10:53am PDT
Dar_Hosta