General Interest

Disappointed with 2nd book, problems with trim

I just received my second book from blurb. My first one turned out beautiful, no complaints.  I decided to go with a completely different designed for my second book and wasn’t thrilled with my results.  My main complaint has to do with the trim. 

I am well aware of the 1/8 trim that the use on the books, so here’s my problem.  I’m pretty sure with my book they only removed the trim from the bottom part of the page, not the top.  This means my pictures on the bottom go to the edge while the pictures on top have a large white section.  I spent hours aligning my photos so they would be spaced properly, but when the trim is ONLY taken off the bottom page it messes with the entire alignment of all my pictures.  Anyone have similar problems?  I just started a website to make custom books and now I’m a bit skeptical.

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
kaityv
Jan 29, 2008 10:08pm PDT
kaityv

I would like to hear the STAFF’s perspective on this … !!! Hello? ;-)

Posted by
udgang99
Feb 4, 2008 1:47am PDT
udgang99

Have you contacted their customer service?  I bet they will gladly reprint the book for you.  From what I hear, they are generally very responsive.

I haven’t had any personal experience yet with their customer service myself though.  I only hope they will respond appropriately.

Posted by
dius
Feb 4, 2008 4:42pm PDT
dius

is it your book called "the world through my eyes"? B/c the perview looks good.

keep smiling

Posted by
pictureme
Feb 4, 2008 10:41pm PDT
pictureme

Thanks for the compliant Pictureme.  No, I haven’t contacted customer service yet.  Overall, my book turned out amazing, it’s just the spacing and trim I really don’t like.  I’m a little concerned about the trim on my book I’m just about to finish.

I really, really wish they would put trim lines on their booksmart program!!!!!  It seems so simple, yet so incredible important.  Thoughts?

Posted by
kaityv
Feb 5, 2008 9:04am PDT
kaityv

kaityv,

To make sure this not a software or other error, please contact Customer Support. If you’re concerned about precise measurements, we want to make BookSmart is behaving correctly in this case.

– Kathy 

Posted by
kathybad
Feb 5, 2008 11:47am PDT
kathybad

Thanks for the reply Kathy.  I just sent an emai to customer support.

Kaity

Posted by
kaityv
Feb 5, 2008 9:30pm PDT
kaityv

Contacted customer support and they are sending me a reprint of my book.  Very fast response.  I was pleased.  Let’s see how the second print turns out.

Posted by
kaityv
Feb 7, 2008 9:11pm PDT
kaityv

I had a problem with my first book but the staff was extremely supportive and replaced the copy immediately at no additional cost. I would strongly recommend contacting them and also don’t forget to send a scanned copy of one page where the issue is particularly evident.

Posted by
manlio2810
Feb 12, 2008 2:35am PDT
manlio2810

Ooops sorry I had’n noticed you had already contacted the staff. They are fantastic and very professional in recognizing that not all books can turn out well. I only wonder why they don’t chek them before sending us a copy…

Posted by
manlio2810
Feb 12, 2008 2:36am PDT
manlio2810

I just received my new copy of my book and it’s fantastic.  They sent me a brand new print at no cost and completely fixed the problem I had with my first book.  I agree that they should check the books, but I’m not sure they would have spotted my problem (it was kind of subtle).  I am very pleased with the customer support and the staff.  Thanks!!!

Posted by
kaityv
Feb 15, 2008 11:40am PDT
kaityv

manlio2810,

As I understand that Blurb “subcontracts” book printing projects to outsourced printers.

In that case, I agree with you that it should be look at this very issue before they ship books to Blurb bookmakers.

manlio2810, I would think that you should send a feedback or suggestion related to book’s quality assurance as “near perfect” quality. If the printers did this venue, it is more likely that there will be less defective books.

Hope that helps.

Posted by
brianbonitz
Feb 17, 2008 5:36am PDT
brianbonitz

I got my book and was disappointed with all the mistakes. While most of the people seem to have binding or trim problems- mine were so bizarre- images duplicated , text on images, and after 50 pages the book started again, faded text and faulty binding. The customer service was great and I was given a credit right away but what I’m thinking is- Why can’t Blurb have someone flip through the book for any obvious mistakes? Yes, editing is not part of the deal but this sure would make sense and save them money too.It would definitely be more professional.Imagine all the reshipping they have to do and deal with unhappy customers .

Everything else is great so I hope the staff see this as constructive criticism.

Rina

Posted by
rinasingh
Feb 17, 2008 2:39pm PDT
rinasingh

@ brianbonitz

Hi Brian and thanks for your posting… I read with interest your comments on letting the Blurb guys know about the near-perfect quality of the printing. I also guess that sending a scanned copy of one of the pages made them realize how poorly the book had been printed… I am not sure that would qualify as "feedback", but they certainly did send a complimentary copy of my book as a replacement. So, I assume they must have got the gist of my email to them…

What I would like to know is whether or not the subcontract bookprinters ever take a look at the finished product, before packing it up and sending it off….

Posted by
manlio2810
Mar 18, 2008 7:59am PDT
manlio2810

My first book had trim problems, too.   The confusion was on my part as I thought the 1/8 inch trim was the image had to be larger by that amount on all four sides like with the magazine we publish.  What I didn’t understand was the pages were trimmed by that amount.

Blurb’s customer service was above and beyond.  I had a replacement book in time for my customer to give to her son for graduation and like myself, her son and everyone who say the book loved it.

I really, really would like to see blurb add trim marks to booksmart so for those of us who design our own pages can see what content will actually be included on the final product..  It would be an immense help for those of us who use CS or InDesign to layout our pages.

~W

Posted by
Wolverine
Jun 9, 2008 11:39am PDT
Wolverine