General Interest

UK VAT

Would I have a VAT bill to pay the UK government or to shipping company after receipt of books here in the uk . I would be ordering 200 at once at a cost of around £5800? I dont want to be hit unwittingly with a huge tax bill and wondered if anyone is clued up on such things?

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
artpapa
Feb 12, 2008 2:11pm PDT
artpapa

In short…. no.

There is no VAT on books, and yours wouldn’t be coming from the USA, they will be coming from the Netherlands, another EU country.

Although, I would be interested to know the shipping cost of 200 books!!

Emma :)

Posted by
ejtumman
Feb 12, 2008 2:14pm PDT
ejtumman

No. Books are zero rated for VAT in the UK.  And as they will be printed in, and shipped from, The Netherlands there will be no import duty either.

And, as far as I know there, is no import duty on books anyway, so even if they were printed in the USA or elsewhere you wouldn’t get a bill. I have had many books from Amazon in the US, never a hint of taxes of any sort to pay to the shipping company.

.......Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Feb 12, 2008 2:25pm PDT
tfrankland

Thank you much appreciated :) I was a little worried after being hit by a vat bill for a camera lens from Honk kong.

Emma , for 200 7×7 hardback , 400page books

The more ordered the way cheaper it gets hence going for a bigger book than planned.

shipping for my 200 400 pagers is estimated at

<table cellspacing="0" border="0" cellpadding="0"><tbody><tr><th>Shipping Methods</th><th class="price">Estimated Shipping Cost*</th></tr><tr class="oddrow"><td>UPS Standard</td><td class="price">£123.29</td></tr><tr><td>UPS Express</td><td class="price">£287.80</td></tr><tr class="oddrow"><td>UPS Express Saver</td><td class="price">£255.37</td></tr><tr><td>Swiss Post Economy (nontrackable option)</td><td class="price">£476.10</td></tr><tr class="oddrow"><td>Swiss Post Priority (nontrackable option)</td><td class="price">

£559.92

as the shipping gets way cheaper the more to

</td></tr></tbody></table>
Posted by
artpapa
Feb 12, 2008 2:31pm PDT
artpapa

oops soz that never worked ..

for Ups standard shipping.. approx £123.29

Posted by
artpapa
Feb 12, 2008 2:32pm PDT
artpapa

Hire a van and go pick them up :-)

.........Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Feb 12, 2008 3:00pm PDT
tfrankland

The UK VAT must be irrelevant here, or am I missing something?

In the EU VAT is always payed to the country where the charge has originated. If the bill comes from the Netherlands it is their VAT that will be applied.

And there are some other very nasty VAT rules in the EU. I purchased books from Amazon UK and had them mailed to my home in Sweden. And since the UK charges 0% VAT on books, Sweden interprets the VAT rule to say that they must apply their own VAT. So they did, and I was charged 25% Swedish VAT.

Please do some more research on the VAT issue or you may be in for an expensive surprise.

Posted by
Kingfisher
Apr 7, 2008 11:47am PDT
Kingfisher

Good point Kingfisher! I just found this table that may help…..

http://www.ipa-uie.org/statistics/vat.html

Still not sure that there would be anything to pay though, they are printed and shipped from The Netherlands not bought there, they are paid for in the USA.

I did not get any VAT demand/bill when my book arrived.

How did you get on artpapa? Did you get caught for VAT?

........Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Apr 7, 2008 1:17pm PDT
tfrankland