General Interest

Yay for international sales... but a wee question...

Fantastic news about the international program up and running!  I am really excited about making my book available in a couple months when I’ve finished throwing it all together.

Can we have a little more information about how the funds are returned to us?  All I know is that it’s coming by cheque, which is fine, however I’d hate to get an American cheque and not be able to cash it at my local Aussie bank.

What sort of cheques will we be receiving? Standard international? Some American thing that can be cashed in non-American banks? Etc…

And another thing… and I’m really not looking a gift horse in the mouth… is or will Blurb be considering adding Paypal as a way of remitting and paying author profits at all for international (and domestic) authors? I believe it would cut down on processing costs somewhat doing it that way.  I HATE drawing comparisons to other companies to make Blurb look bad, but there are some sites that I am part of and sell art through who have this option and it’s a godsend. They have paypal, cheque and credits to spend within the site shop.

Having this option would be great because a) it’d cut a few costs for Blurb and b)certainly cut a few costs for the authors as cashing in international cheques incurs high exchange fees here, and then we pay fees because we’re at the teller instead of just doing it electronically… etc.

Cheers,

Erin

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
eringuest
Mar 5, 2008 6:29pm PDT
eringuest

Thanks Blurb for getting the international program up and running. 

But I agree with Erin, it is bad that there is no information about, or option to select how you will get paid on the ‘Payment and Tax Info’ page (  https://www.blurb.com/my/seller/payment_info ). 

If we are always paid monthly, and I have earned less then 60 dollars (and I don’t think I will earn that much in a year) then I will lose money since it cost as much to redeem a us check here in Finland!

And LOOK OUT sellers! At least for my account I can not set my OWN address to receive the check! The check will go to one of the people I have sent a review copy to!  (I will asap report this problem to the technical suport team.)

PLEASE give us the option to get paid via PayPal!

Thanks in advance! 

Posted by
ssahlander
Mar 6, 2008 9:41am PDT
ssahlander

A couple of questions to address here:

1. PayPal is under review though I am not making any promises for fear to mis-setting expectations. I will only say we are reviewing PayPal and will make a prioritization call, relative to a number of other product deliverables, later in the year.

2. The checks will be in the currency you specify and processed out of our bank in the UK.  Our hope is this will reduce, if not eliminate, most fees.

As always, this type of feedback is appreciated. 

Posted by
norcaljhawk
Mar 6, 2008 10:29am PDT
norcaljhawk

Thanks! Yes, I assume a UK check in euro is cheaper to cash in.

Another question:

Maybe I just failed to find the info on your pages, or is the info missing? What is the minimum amount you send out payments for? I assume there is no check sent out if the earnings are less then  a certain amount of dollars, or?

Stefan

Posted by
ssahlander
Mar 6, 2008 11:09am PDT
ssahlander

Stefan,

This FAQ should help.

– Kathy 

Posted by
kathybad
Mar 6, 2008 2:19pm PDT
kathybad

". The checks will be in the currency you specify and processed out of our bank in the UK.  Our hope is this will reduce, if not eliminate, most fees."

Unfortunately, that really doesn’t answer the question I asked and believe me, it won’t reduce the fees (just a sad fact of life with Australian banks).

I’m in Australia. What use to me is a cheque from the UK in UK currency?  Or UK in USA currency? Or EU? I’d really like to know that Blurb’s going to send me something that can be guaranteed to be claimed at my local bank. I’ve contacted my bank and am waiting for a response on Tuesday as Monday is a public holiday for us, so I’ll update this as soon as I hear back from them. 

Perhaps a few more currencies could be added? There’s a large Australian population within Blurb already from what I’ve seen. It seems to be USA, EU, UK and then AUS members are most prominant. Perhaps the Aussie dollar could be added to the payout list?

Posted by
eringuest
Mar 8, 2008 5:04am PDT
eringuest

eringuest,

Good question. We are contantly evaluating adding support for additional currencies. So for now, you can request payment in any of our supported currencies: U.S. dollar ($), British pound sterling (₤), and the European Union euro (€).

Thanks for your patience.

– Kathy 

Posted by
kathybad
Mar 10, 2008 4:11pm PDT
kathybad

I’;m in the same boat as you are Erin. I’m in Australia and have been told be one particular bank that it will cost $10.00 to clear the cheque. So out of a $25.00 blurb cheque….blurb takes their $5.00 fee the bank takes their $10.00 fee and I get a whole $15.00…whoopee! Paypal would be a welcome option for me too.

Please Blurb work on this fast!

Cheryl

Posted by
cherylhall
Jun 2, 2008 11:22pm PDT
cherylhall

Hi cherylhall,

We hear you and would like to offer options like PayPal in the future. Right now, our focus is preparing for the holiday season so we will look to prioritize features like PayPal soon thereafter.

– Kathy

Posted by
kathybad
Jun 3, 2008 9:12am PDT
kathybad

Thanks for the reply Kathy but for a lot of us this can’t happen soon enough. Is there a way that payment can be delayed until this change comes into effect? I’m about to release a book here on blurb and have at least 40-50 people I know that are going to order but it may be staggered over a few months and that means every month I will lose $15.00 straight up. In my haste I miscalculated in my previous post which means I will only make $10.00 out of $25.00 each time.  Obviously that is not the best way for my situtation to be managed. I know blurb has their own priorities but this is a priority for me.

Thanks

Cheryl

Posted by
cherylhall
Jun 3, 2008 2:50pm PDT
cherylhall

I see there’s no reply to Cheryl’s question and I’m also interested in the answer, once my situation is pretty similar to hers.

Is there a way to delay the payments? Because it doesn’t worth to me to receive a check of $25,00 for the same reason. I was intending to publish more books here, but it really doesn’t worth if it works this way to me, unfortunatelly.

Thank you! 

Angélica Sati,  from Brazil 

Posted by
askobashi
Jun 26, 2008 7:05am PDT
askobashi

Hi Angélica,

Thanks for the feedback around delaying payments. We are looking into this and other forms of payment for sometime in 2009. I wish I could tell you these changes were coming sooner, but we have a lot of projects we’re working on for 2008.

Thanks for you patience. 

– Kathy 

Posted by
kathybad
Jun 26, 2008 10:04am PDT
kathybad

Thank you very much for your response, Kathy!

I’ll need to wait, then… ;o)

Posted by
askobashi
Jun 26, 2008 10:38am PDT
askobashi

How disappointing that after all this time it seems that a paypal option is still not available….I received a cheque the other week from blurb and by the time I pay for the fees to cash the cheque I will be able to buy a loaf of bread with what is left. :-(

Cheryl 

Posted by
cherylhall
Aug 12, 2009 9:49am PDT
cherylhall

well – cashing a cheque will cost, thats for sure… but in the discussions above seemingly all have calculated that they have only sold ONE book and will be funded for that…. "leaving me with 10 out of 25 dollars after the bank has taken their toll…"…

Well, if you happen to sell 10 books, !!!! = Blurb will still only take their 4 dollars flat fee for the checque-handling, and the banque will certainly take theirs anyways – but then the majority of the money absolutley will be yours… dont argue with me on that… the absolute lionpart of the profits are YOURS

Now try to imagine instead that you are a signed author to a HUGE Worldwide Publishingcompany – how many % of gross sales dp you think that you will make? 

Believe you me – you should be very lucky to keep 10 % – the publisher and the retail chain will take the rest. 

The difference here is that you yourself will have to make the marketing for your book – which is costly perhaps, not the least in the amount of energy and time youll have to spend – but eventually also in pure cash… the publishing company already has that…

Still – if you are so incredibly certain that your book is a total Superhit – why dont you take your Blurb-.copy and send it to tha big commercial publishing-companies and try to get them to release it so that your sales will reach atsronomical heights?

Just do yourself a favour then when it comes toyour getting payed – dont even try to claim more than the fraction of the gross that they will give you – youd have to be a Nobelprize-winner to get a high % of profits, most will probably niot get more than just above 10%…

OR – get yourself into the marketing wagon and begin to drive your sales – there will still just be a 4 dollar flat fee from Blurb and whatever % your local bank will charge for the transferral of your money thru the currency-exchange…

Posted by
Gurrah
Aug 15, 2009 6:22am PDT
Gurrah

You’ve missed the whole point….Blurb said a very, very long time ago that PayPal was in the pipeline…must be an awfully long pipeline!

Cheryl

Posted by
cherylhall
Nov 3, 2009 8:56pm PDT
cherylhall