General Interest

Locked Postage - who wants an option to send books via the local postal service

OK, I’m probably going to be shot down in flames, but the problem with the postage prices has been going on too long now.

Here’s my particular case :  book $21.95 (78 pages) postage to Switzerland $56.33 

Looking at Lulu  : book $34.95 (110 pages) postage to Switzerland $8.15 / book $83.28 (398 pages) postage to Switzerland $14.62

I might be stupid, dumb an idiot or whatever (I’m sure some of you are going to point that out to me)  but why can’t Blurb offer the local postal service as an option for delivering books. There is signed post to make sure the book got delivered and even signed post with insurrance incase the book gets lost on the way! We don’t all need/want/can afford trackable UPS post.

They don’t have to replace the UPS options, just give us another one.

I just can’t understand how blurb could expect customers to pay 3 times the price of the book in postage (and this is with the europen printer up and running). This has been going on for so long now that I’m being to think that it is Blurb who are ripping us off by moving some of the puiblishing costs to the postage  – hey we can produce your book cheaply but don’t look at the postage.

Remember the blog post about cheaper postage ? It did get cheaper it went from completely and utterly ridiculous to just completely ridiculous.

I’ve sent messages to Blurb and the answers are always "we are looking in to it, but its going to take some time"

How long is it going to take for somebody at Blurb to realise that people are not going to pay 3 times the price of the book in postage ? I don’t even understand how they could launch an international service with these postage proces.

So if you would like to have the option of receiving your book via the local post (or any other reasonable priced way) leave a message below and perhaps Blurb will wake up and realise that they are losing customers.

Regards

Paul

ps. I am now wearing my flame retardent / bullet proof suit so fire away….

Posted by
MeMyselfAndI
Aug 16, 2007 4:39am PDT
MeMyselfAndI

+1

David (France) 

Posted by
david-ponce
Aug 16, 2007 7:18am PDT
david-ponce

my book: $21.95

postage to South Africa: $81.95

please offer alternative postage!

Posted by
deadsumo
Aug 16, 2007 7:40am PDT
deadsumo

my book:$31.95

postage to Hong Kong: $64.30

Posted by
tomax
Aug 16, 2007 7:51am PDT
tomax

I realize this line is growing tired but we are actively looking at this. In fact, this was a discussion we had with our Dutch print partner yesterday. We are actively looking at alternatives, specifically local postal carriers, and need to determine how they will fit into our infrastructure.

Posted by
norcaljhawk
Aug 16, 2007 8:13am PDT
norcaljhawk

Wow, I couldn’t agree more! A friend tried to buy my mum’s book online $41 shpping to Australia..that adds up to nearly $80 for a book!  It’s crazy, as it is my 86 year old mum’s book it’s sad that her Aussie friends can’t afford to buy it because of the unbelievable shipping cost. It means far less sales which I can’t believe works for anyone.

Blurb please offer lower shipping prices!

Posted by
LightBeamer
Aug 16, 2007 9:39pm PDT
LightBeamer

LightBeamer,

Perhaps that you want to include your feedback input directly to Blurb team through contact form (feedback suggestion form).

Posted by
brianbonitz
Aug 16, 2007 10:17pm PDT
brianbonitz

Norcaljhawk – when I first found out about Blurb in the middle of last year high postage prices were already a problem and they still are even with all the hype (which I fell for) over a "new European printer which will lower postage rates". What get’s me is how Blurb could of even thought people were going to pay those prices. Seeing as that you "need to determine how they will fint into out infrastructure" looks as if Blurb really expected people to pay those ridiculus prices.

What us Blurberians (might have got the spelling wrong there) need is for somebody at Blurb to give us regular updates on the postage problem and a date when we can finally start ordering books.

You have a good product, the word on the web is that the quality is better then Lulu, don’t blow it because somebody got the buisness plan wrong….

Regards

Paul 

Posted by
MeMyselfAndI
Aug 16, 2007 10:49pm PDT
MeMyselfAndI

Most of my business will be uneffected by high postage since I’m in the US and so are most of my customers, but, I support this initiative nonetheless. It just occurred to me last night that I’ll probably have to buy one/two of my books for a friend in the Canary Islands and ship it to her myself because, well, 1. I doubt you ship there, and 2. even if you did, the shipping rate would be FAR more than she can afford. That will be my solution for now, but, I’m certainly not going to start footing the bill for everyone who orders from me outside the US.

And, as others have stated, some people (incl. me, actually) would rather have more shipping options. 

Really, you need to answer the question of ‘why’ (things are set up this way)... I love you guys and even I am a bit wary as to what’s behind the higher shipping.

Thank you. 

Posted by
redmeg8
Aug 17, 2007 5:12am PDT
redmeg8

Well, I like Blurb I have to admit it!

I would like though to understand how they cannot support their own business bottom line! You see, if you want to have a thriving on-demand-publishing business your main clients and a source of continuous revenue, will be and should be recurring self-publishers.

If I am printing a SINGLE photobook  that may have my family summer photos, I may accept €80 as a total cost. And I also my accept some binding problems that can be fixed with a single reprint.

But when my clients’ demand for my photos increases, I would never think of going to multiple copies for such a cost! And also I would never risk my photobooks reputation.

So it all depends on who they want to target: single and once-in-a-while books, or consistent recurring clients that can support their business and help them expand further to the more "difficult" single-copy-per-year book?

Just my 2 cents, ‘cause I want Blurb to succeed. As I told you, I like them…. :-)

Yannis (http://www.larios.gr)

Posted by
larios
Aug 17, 2007 10:49am PDT
larios

Does anyone know shipping costs to New Zealand or to Malaysia?  How would I be able to find this out without having to order my book first?

I am thinking of making a book, but by the sounds of this forum, shipping costs are too HIGH!

Cheers

Posted by
chumz11
Aug 17, 2007 10:54pm PDT
chumz11

Tha answers is somewhere in the FAQ but basically you need to select a book about the same size and type of the book you want to make, and put in your shopping cart . During the checkout process the postage is indicated and then you can cancel the order.

As the postage depends on the size and type of book there is no fixed posage list.

And for now you are probably right, the postage is a problem….

HTH

Paul 

Posted by
MeMyselfAndI
Aug 18, 2007 10:53am PDT
MeMyselfAndI

Hawaii, shipping price for one book $32.71.

If I ship it to my son in California it is much cheaper.  Then he can send me the books in a flat rate box, priority mail to Hawaii.  He can fit quite a few books in one box and no matter how heavy it is, the price is still $9 and it still takes 4 days.  UPS 2 day air, to where I live on an outer island takes 4 days also.  It would be nice if Blurb would consider sending books to me directly in a flat rate box, priority mail.  Once blurb shipped a book to me surface US mail and took 5 weeks to arrive. 

]The return address says WA, but it goes to other states before getting to me and I think it may be somewhere else before getting to WA. 

Posted by
lovein
Aug 18, 2007 5:11pm PDT
lovein

book – 21.95; postage 20.84. This is not a sustainable business model. It means the product is not going to be competitive, and that is the bottom line. Blurb needs to set up some other options, probably through the USPSm and its media mailing option—which is much more reasonable.

Posted by
Fotoglobe
Aug 18, 2007 8:28pm PDT
Fotoglobe

Thanks for that Paul. 

I tried it out, and by the sounds of it, if I was to buy a book for $21.95, my postage costs are going to be a whopping $48!!!! 

Posted by
chumz11
Aug 18, 2007 9:34pm PDT
chumz11

I am just working on my first book, but sadly after reading this forum, there is probably no point continuing with Blurb. I think it is a great service, but they will be losing a lot of business with those shipping costs.

Posted by
jbailey
Aug 19, 2007 1:42am PDT
jbailey

I completely agree.  I’m very keen to build a book using the large format that Lulu don’t offer but until I stop reading of horrific postage costs I’m going to stay a lurker here.

Blurb – this is a genuine business issue for you that is threatening the long-term growth of your business.  Your competitors can do it, why can’t you?

Posted by
aop27
Aug 19, 2007 4:26am PDT
aop27

I first noticed Blurb in early August.  I downloaded the software, looked at the book options, scanned the prices, and I was hooked.  My wife and I immediately decided this was the christmas present for our families this year.  We were actually looking at buying 8-10 books.

Still, one thing kept bothering me, namely the shipping cost.  Even though I live in Iceland, shipping has never been a real issue, whether I’m buying from Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk og BHPhoto.com.

So, I decided to do a little checkout test, and found out that shipping one copy of Blurb’s 40 page 8×10 inch hardcover book, How To Make A Book, (which costs $14.95) would cost $63.73.

Now, I can only wait for Blurb to wise up.  And hopefully they will do so soon enough for me to buy all those book at a reasonable price :-)

Posted by
gunnarfreyr
Aug 20, 2007 3:09am PDT
gunnarfreyr

I have to ask here, There are two things that are going through my mind.  First when I sell a book I give the customer the choice of shipping.  Slow one price fast double the price.  What I have told people is that I make money selling photography not by marking up shipping. I charge them what Blurb charges me.

Second, when I have to ship photography people have a fit with the price. $7.75 US.    They don’t understand that I have to buy shipping cartons, packaging materials for inside the carton ,pay for gas@ over 3$ per gallon to the post office and my time to complete all the aforementioned tasks.    I feel like shouting to customers hey!!! I AM BREAKING EVEN HERE!!!

I don’t know how blurb calculates the shipping.  I know they need buy cartons, packing supplies labels and what ever.  And they have to pay employees to do these tasks.  After that,   the shipping expense is out of their hands.   Do you suppose that the shipping rates inside European countries is expensive??  I really don’t know.   I know that when my daughter lived in Spain I sent her her pointe shoes for $35 and it took over a week first class.    I don’t know what shiping rates are inside the EU.  I do know I would feel that 80$ to ship a 13$ book sounds absurd.  

I also know that when I order more than 1 copy of a book there is a substantial savings involved.   I shipped 5,  80 page books  (8×10) 2 day express for 29$.  To ship 1 80 page book 2 day express $16.00.

What irritates me is that I can not order a variety of books like a shopping cart where I could order 1 of each book and save on the shipping   I must check out each book.  This is because I think the books are drop shipped from each printer and the printers are located all over. 

So, I am lucky because I live in the USA.  We do have the most reasonable shipping rates.   I pass the shipping directly to the consumer.  I do not absorb it or include it because it varies  so much.  Companies like amazon bhphoto have shipping agreements where ALL the product is shipped via one company and the big boys negotiate lower shipping rates than you and I can get.  The USPS is not the bargain it used to be.  Rates have gone up and 2 day service is no longer guaranteed.  

I am sorry for those that have those obnoxious shipping  fees.  They would discourage me a lot.

Regards to all

Pat T 

Posted by
pattahan
Aug 20, 2007 8:09am PDT
pattahan

I am corrected,  There is a shopoping cart, I can order a book and keep shopping.  Thanks to blurb support for the corrected info.  BLurb is out there, they are reading the forums  Way Cool

Regards to all

Pat T 

Posted by
pattahan
Aug 20, 2007 11:01am PDT
pattahan

Blurb now has a printer in Holland which was supposed to reduce postage prices so I decided to check the prices for Switzerland to Holland.

Here’s my particular case :  book $21.95 (78 pages) postage to Switzerland $56.33

Sending the book from Switzerland to Holland (weight 400g) via local post is as follows :

Urgent 1-2 days Chf 41.- ($34)

Priority+ 3 days Chf 18.- ($15) 

Priority  3 days Chf 13.- ($11)

Economy    5-8 days Chf 8.-  ($6)

Base on this I would say that the prices inside Europe are cheaper.

Personally I wouldn’t mind waiting 5-8 days if the postage was around $6. As long as I know how long it will take I can plan accordingly.

Added to that is that Lulu who ship from Spain for the Europeans crowd esimate the postage for a book similiar to mine at $8 

Once again I’m not saying get rid of UPS just give us more (cheaper/reasonable) prices. 

Posted by
MeMyselfAndI
Aug 20, 2007 11:33am PDT
MeMyselfAndI

shipping costs used to be an problem for me. Now with the new european printer shipping is more than reasonable for me. 160 page Largest book sixty something euros and shipping cost approx 7 euro.

Just made and other book and ordered 3 pieces. I do understand shippigcosts still are a problem if you live further from the netherlands. Local postal service would be great than.

Posted by
huhanger
Aug 20, 2007 12:33pm PDT
huhanger

Shipping Costs

I can see why Blurb uses UPS.  It is simple for their operation, but costly for the customer if you are not within a cost effective UPS service area.

To ship one book of 40 pages the UPS cost to Chicago is $5.24.  The same cost to Seattle.  The cost to Anchorage, Alaska via UPS is $16.30.

For USPS (US Postal Service) Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelope is $4.60.  For Media Mail $2.13.  For a Flat Rate Box (11-7/8×3-3/8×13-5/8 inches in size) $8.95 regardless of weight or US destination.

I would like to try a sample book from Blurb.  Develop a process and then add to the wedding line.  However, now that I know shipping is equal to the cost of the book I have lost interest.  JUST TOOOOOO COSTLY.  It is too bad, as Blurb seemed to have their act together for a wonderful low cost product.  

For us folks still in the USA, but not in a cost effect UPS delivery zone, it would appear that Blurb products will not be seen much in either Alaska or Hawaii….. 

Please add USPS to your shipping options, like many other firms that ship to Hawaii and Alaska.  That way we too can be proud of what Blurb has to offer.  (i.e. some firms will ship UPS to the lower 48 and have an option to use USPS for only those in Hawaii and Alaska to keep costs reasonable for the 49th and 50th State)

Please let me know when USPS will be added, so that I too can use your service.

Jim

Posted by
alaskaalaska
Aug 20, 2007 9:16pm PDT
alaskaalaska

We are actively pursuing a USPS solution prior to the holiday frenzy…stay tuned to the forums and the blog for more information

Posted by
norcaljhawk
Aug 21, 2007 11:30am PDT
norcaljhawk

Just a thought:

If you shipped the book to yourself and then used USPS ….that might be cheaper overall than UPS. It might take a week longer…

Posted by
pictureme
Aug 21, 2007 12:45pm PDT
pictureme

Oh Im disappointed =(

book price $29.95

shipping to Australia $39.05

=( 

esp disappointed after spending 2 day compiling the book

I was wanting to order 1 before I order many as they suggest but thats more than double the price… oh well live and learn

I often buy stuff internationally online and this is by far the largest postal cost I have seen!! 

Posted by
nospuds
Aug 21, 2007 10:37pm PDT
nospuds

Today, from California, I sent a Priority Mail “Flat Rate Envelope” to India for $11. Later this week I will be sending one to Sweden. USPS tells me it is $11 anywhere internationally for up to 4 pounds in either the flat rate envelope or box!

Hey, Blurb, sounds like using Priority Mail could make an awaful lot of people happy.

Cheers,

Ann B

Posted by
AnnBrooks
Aug 21, 2007 11:06pm PDT
AnnBrooks

Blurb:

Will be looking forward to your USPS solution prior to the holiday season.  Thanks for reading and listening. 

Jim 

Posted by
alaskaalaska
Aug 22, 2007 12:47am PDT
alaskaalaska

Pictureme:

Yes that double sending solution would work for those in the Lower 48 that are shipping to either Alaska or Hawaii.  However, when one lives in the great State of Alaska, the solution will not work.  Overall double shipping is not a cost effective solution and does get to be time consuming on transit time.

The issue with UPS and FedEx is that ground shipping gets the book or books to Sealtte or the Western shipping hub.  Then it is shipped by air at a much higher rate from Seattle (or some other shipping hub) to Alaska.  What is interesting, is that books from Amazon arrive in 3 to 4 days with free shipping. Interesting.

Jim 

Posted by
alaskaalaska
Aug 22, 2007 12:58am PDT
alaskaalaska

What holiday season are we talking about ?

Over here the Summer holidays are over ?

Are we talking about the winter holidays 3 months away ?

Regards

Paul 

Posted by
MeMyselfAndI
Aug 22, 2007 11:15am PDT
MeMyselfAndI

I live in the Netherlands and can’t find any evidence of reduced shipping rates since the advent of the Dutch printing service. Can anyone at Blurb show me where I can find the European-internal shipping rates?

Posted by
eericke
Aug 22, 2007 3:34pm PDT
eericke

Generally in the US the holiday season is considered to be Thanksgiving (Nov 22) through Christmas (Dec 25).

Jim 

Posted by
alaskaalaska
Aug 22, 2007 4:50pm PDT
alaskaalaska

Here another Dutchman. I am also waiting for some movement from Blurb on this issue. I am not paying 80 USD for shipment if it is printed around the corner here.
Shipment within the Netherlands using TNT will cost 6 Euros. I will take the risk that it gets lost. Give me that option when ordering with a checkbox it is my call to want a cheap non trackable shipment for around 10 euro.

This is costing you a lot of potential buyers! Please keep us more informed on what you are doing on this matter…

Posted by
rolph
Aug 23, 2007 10:11am PDT
rolph

I had just tried to put book similar to that i would like to made in the cart (this one http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/80497) and the shipping cost to Czech Republic is 19E, when I rise the quantity to 5, the cost of shipping is 21E … the shipping starts to be reasonable only for bigger orders, but i don`t think, that it`s a standard to order a lot of books at once :(. I really like the Blurb offering so do something about the shipping pleaaase ;)

Posted by
MadCap
Aug 26, 2007 4:21am PDT
MadCap

UPS to Canada is extremely unreliable, slow and costly.  I would love to see an option for usps shipping so I can continue to be a blurb customer.

Posted by
jasperdog
Aug 30, 2007 1:38pm PDT
jasperdog

I agree with the original post. I send books to Brazil…insured…express mail Flat envelope for $25 via USPS….that high enough but still chepaer that the $50 they want to send directly from Blurb to Brazil….nobody is gonna pay that…..

For about $15-$20 Blurb can send a Book via USPS with insurance or Registered to any part of the world…I know cause I am personally mailing my books to various parts of the World.

Posted by
LouisS
Aug 30, 2007 2:30pm PDT
LouisS

USPS Options:

I dont sell thru blurb because of shipping costs overseas. So I order books from blurb to my US address and then send them myself via USPS.

Over the last few months I have learned what works well with USPS.

- Express Mail Flat Rate envelope. Fits up to 3 or 4   7×7 Hardcover books . Has Tracking and $100 insurance included :  COST $25 

- Registered Mail: $20 and a very secure way to send. It comes with some insurance but tracking isnt as good as with express mail.

- Priority Mail Flat Rate envelope: Fits 3 or 4   7×7 books. NO INSURANCE and No Tracking : Cost $11

Ive sent may books to Europe and Brazil and the $25 Express Mail has a 100% success rate and usually gets there in 5 to 7 days.

Before I sent Books to Brazil 1st Class for about $10 and it was taking up to 20 Days to get there with no tracking. A Couple of books never arrived. So I switched my shipping options to mostly EXPRESS and REGISTERED. Most my custmers opt for the $25 Express Mail….

But anything higher like those UPS fees of $50 is way too much. 

Posted by
LouisS
Aug 30, 2007 2:49pm PDT
LouisS

I have to say I was surprised by the postage cost, I bought the Blurb Book (40 pages) how to make books and it cost $20 to send to Australia, now I have ordered my first book which is 80 pages but postage for that is $39 quite surprised to see such a difference in cost, surely the books are not that much heavier, plus are the same size. (8×10)

Regards

Posted by
digitalr
Aug 31, 2007 12:42am PDT
digitalr

From South Africa

I have the same issue… 1 x Book at $35   1 x Shipping $80!!

Use USPS please. 

robhob 

Posted by
robhob
Aug 31, 2007 12:32pm PDT
robhob

+1

Shipping is 3 times the cost of the book.  There must be an alternative to the madness.

Posted by
2nje
Aug 31, 2007 1:11pm PDT
2nje

Hey All

Use Snapfish if it standard photo books you want  with  reasonable postage costs even from the states…..

Posted by
shed8b
Sep 7, 2007 9:26am PDT
shed8b

UPS to Canada is not a good option because of the outrageous custom broker fees. For a typical order between $40 and $100 the fee is $19.45 on top of shipping and tax. It goes up from there according to the value of the package. There may be line item charges on top of that if you order multiple items. The USPS/Canada Post fee is a flat rate of $5 (which they sometimes forget to charge!). The UPS brokerage fee is included in the non-standard services but then you are paying much for for those services to start with.

Posted by
xray
Sep 7, 2007 9:54am PDT
xray

Frankly, Blurb needs to have a USPS option.  I am in Afghanistan, and will be here for a total of 15 months.  My family is stationed in Italy.  I am writing my son books while I am gone, and I cannot have them shipped to me (U.S. Army) or my family because there is no USPS option that delivers to APO/FPO.  Additionally, this option would lessen the cost to ship overseas considerably.  I am sure this has something to do with the contract Blurb signed with UPS, and the rates Blurb actually pays vs. charges, but there is not even an option to ship to me, my family or my fellow servicemembers stationed overseas, regardless of price.

Posted by
helixon
Sep 15, 2007 7:49am PDT
helixon

Ordered my new boo, to be shipped to Greece. Presumably will be sent from the Netherlands.

Total book cost €28 (120 pages). Standard USPS cost: €25 !!!

Α new Canon 40D camera shipped next day courrier from the Netherlands to Greece: €7 ….

Are you sure you are not shooting your own foot Blurb?

Posted by
larios
Sep 15, 2007 8:01am PDT
larios

2  identical 20 page 8×10inch hardcover books                         31.90

Standard shipping                                                                            185.11

Express shipping                                                                                39.52

Express saver                                                                                      34.78

If these really are the prices for postage from Holland to the UK then Blurb needs to understand that paying shipping that is costing more than the value of the books is not a viable proposition. I would happily make and sell a lot of books except this shipping cost is outrageously high. For £185.11, I could fly to Holland, pick up my books in person and pay for a weekend’s stay in a good hotel in Amsterdam!

Surpisingly, there is no difference in these costs if one were to just order a single 8×10 inch hardback book. This makes me ask where the costs are going. If the costs are calculated on weight, then clearly, there should be a difference between one and two books. If the costs are calculated on the volumetric weight, then clearly it is cheaper to send one book instead of two.

Looking at a single softcover 8×10 inch book of 20 pages reveals that shipping costs are either no different or slightly reduced. The standard shipping remains at a ridiculous £185.11 (despite being a single much thinner and lighter book) and £37.19 or £32.72 are the costs for Express shipping and Express saver rates, respectively. This is for a book that is valued at £9.95!

The very cheapest shipping option offered by Blurb is more than 4 times as expensive as the cost of a £9.95 book! This ‘service’ is to a country that has had its own perfectly adequate postal service since 1660. 

Blurb should, in my opinion, offer alternatives to these ruinous charges because they are clearly unwarranted and unjustifiable. As much as I would like to use Blurb, I will never let Blurb have my custom while you permit your delivery service to grossly overcharge your customers, for a service that is both easily understood and easily managed these days. Its not as if we have to await the horses being fed before delivery. GPS is a commonplace and cheap air transport is also common. 

Posted by
jayemcee
Sep 18, 2007 4:30am PDT
jayemcee

I have noted elsewhere that other people are saying they paid standard rate of £9 for delivery to the UK. It is still high but not as high as the prices shown in my previous post. However, the corrections to the rates are supposed to be obtained when using standard shipping. £185.11 is what standard shipping shows so I guess that the bug has not been resolved.

Posted by
jayemcee
Sep 18, 2007 5:07am PDT
jayemcee

Hi jayemcee

I certainly paid only £9.17 to have my latest 13×11 80 page book shipped at the end of August.

Louis 

Posted by
PhotoLouis
Sep 18, 2007 5:26am PDT
PhotoLouis

having prepared a 30 page 10×8 book back in march, I held off ordering it because of the ridiculous shipping charge, but when Blurb announced reduced charges and printing in Europe, I checked again and got a copy sent for $17 (£8.50). Still a bit much but OK.

I need to do another book and checked the shipping charges again before compiling.  My original book now seems to cost the same $70 (£35) as before.  Pathetic…..

I really like the product, but while Blurb sit around charging these extortionate shipping rates, other book printers will get my business.

Steve

Posted by
stevegarratt
Sep 18, 2007 8:09am PDT
stevegarratt

It does look like there is still a technical issue with the European shipping costs, at least I hope that it is a technical issue!

Louis 

Posted by
PhotoLouis
Sep 18, 2007 8:35am PDT
PhotoLouis

Hi, I’d like that option also.  I’m basically unemployed and paying more to receive my book than it cost is probably why my peers aren’t buying the book.  The more we sell the more Blurb makes, right.  US Post Office, US Post Office, Us, Post Office. :)  I didn’t shoot you down.

Celia

Posted by
Ano1nted
Oct 16, 2011 6:59am PDT
Ano1nted