General Interest

I want to see sales figures for BEST SELLERS

If Blurb is going to announce BEST SELLERS then they should make public how many copies have been sold. I would like to know how many copies of most of the books listed on here have sold, so I would have an idea of what to expect when my book is finaly up for sale

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
Vercingtorix
Mar 24, 2008 8:47pm PDT
Vercingtorix

I absolutely agree with you, and hope that’s a feature they add soon!

Posted by
sanadoo
Mar 26, 2008 8:31am PDT
sanadoo

I’m  not so sure, I lean towards thinking that the number of books I sell should be strictly beteen me, Blurb (and the taxman?) unless I give Blurb permission to make that public.

......Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Mar 26, 2008 9:08am PDT
tfrankland

Well Tony, look at it this way, if the figures are high on your book then others might buy it just because others have thats the psychology . The box office figures for films are announced each week which promotes interest in the films. Yet another alternative is hopefully your books will NOT become besellers thereby maintaining your privacy! :)

If it stays a mystery the tendency for people thinking about using blurb is "do people REALLY buy these books?"

The thread where people volunteer sales figures is helpful. 

Posted by
Vercingtorix
Mar 26, 2008 12:35pm PDT
Vercingtorix

I would think, in my humble opinion, is totally not necessary. But there is awesome feature is included “Best Sellers” book in bookstore as a cue or hint.

On a final note, I would think it might be burden on side of Blurb’s backend coding to shows the realtime sale figures in public. I would think that best leave to Bookmakers’ private account activity that shows weekly sales report or something like that.

Posted by
brianbonitz
Mar 27, 2008 7:17am PDT
brianbonitz

I still want to push for people to list the most books sold by a blurb user. I have people telling me on other lists that you cannot sell books successfully on blurb. They say you have to jump through the hoops, go through LST which is a POD printer that has links to distributors, this means you have to be expert at using indesign layout which is a very high learning curve and you will have to come up with several thousands of dollars to pay designers let alone all the other fews to distributors and publicists.

Posted by
Vercingtorix
May 5, 2008 3:24pm PDT
Vercingtorix

Really, who cares what people on other lists think? Blurb is not trying to be Barnes and Noble or Waldenbooks or Amazon.com. They’re in the business of making it easy for users to self-publish. If users are interested in massive public sales, then they need to market their book to a publisher that also does distribution and assigns ISBN codes, etc.

Using Blurb is a very good way to publish a short run printing of a book with a targeted market. So far, I’ve published 17 books with copy sales of 232. That works for me. I, in no way, shape or form expect that I am going to sell any of my books to casual perusers of the Blurb bookstore. That’s not my market.

Posted by
CWN
May 8, 2008 5:28am PDT
CWN

i dont think its anyones business except the author and blurb.

Posted by
dysmyelopoie
Jan 30, 2009 5:04pm PDT
dysmyelopoie

Though I would like to know how books are selling, I agree with CWN. Blurb is the perfect place to create and sell short run books with a narrow target market. I published one book in 08 from a very specific event for a very narrow market. I have sold about 105 of these books, with about 15 different covers thanks to Booksmart and the ease with which I could change the cover, and people have been thrilled with the product and the fact that they can get a quality book from a very small event. The book also drew a "real" publisher to my work and I now have a deal for 09 for a coffee table book that will have much broader appeal and they will do all the layout and printing etc. I just get paid to shoot.

You can use a hammer to drive in a screw but the end result will always be better if you have the right tool for the job. Blurb addresses a very specific market and I believe that it does it well.

Though I am always interested in how other books are selling, here most of these books that sell in any numbers have a narrow market. Local atheltic teams, specific events etc. I don’t believe this the place to market a general interest coffee table book.

Sorry for the ramble and the on and off topic

Scooter

Posted by
Grubb
Feb 4, 2009 9:23am PDT
Grubb

What if the numbers are published and we find out the number one best seller sold 18 copies??!!

Posted by
Fabini
Feb 6, 2009 4:02pm PDT
Fabini

Could the sales figures be released in graphical form? This could display the quantity of sales distribution. Because there is no need to publish corresponding titles or authors, privacy would be maintained.

Posted by
iTraveller60
Aug 5, 2009 7:07am PDT
iTraveller60

I can tell you that to acheive bestseller status doesn’t take that many books,my own book reached bestseller status on Blurb in 3 days and I didn’t sell that many at all, even I was surprised.

Airsoft Infidels-The very best of Airsoft & Milsim photography: Book One

www.airsoftinfidels.com

Posted by
CHACK
Sep 10, 2009 3:58pm PDT
CHACK

I doubt that very many books are sold from the Bookstore. The majority of Just Published books seem to be of weddings, births, vacations – very personal limited audience books. I’ve noticed lately that a lot of the books don’t even have the Preview option open. I think in some cases this might have been an oversight since the books did not appear to be strictly private. Now that we have the Comment option, we can’t comment because a book has no preview. It seems to me that a book could sell as few as 5 copies & become a Best Seller simply because no other book sold more than 5. I don’t know if Blurb distinguishes between books bought by the author & books bought by the public.

Posted by
loricherokee
Sep 11, 2009 6:56am PDT
loricherokee

Why not publish these figures?  If an author wishes to opt out, that’s fine, but I agree with the comments above that suggest success breeds success, i.e., if your book is selling a lot of copies, it creates interest, and if it merits it, it should be noteworthy.  It would also allow users to network to learn from the more successful authors how they are achieving higher sales.

By all means, if a user wants to create a souvenir book, for Grandma’s Birthday, or Litte Billy’s first steps, that’s fine. But some of us are trying to reach larger, more commercial potential, and Blurb is a proven way to produce books and sell them. 

I think over the past three years I’ve sold around a hundred books.  What kind of success are others having?  

Similarly, I’d like to know where my online sales are taking place.  Blurb could let us know where our readers are, so that we could target our marketing efforts accordingly.  

Posted by
gregorama
Dec 18, 2009 11:59pm PDT
gregorama

I don’t think sales figures of my book are anybody elses business. 

Somebody above mentioned box office totals for films. That may be useful for shareholders and exhibitors, etc., but I suspect most self-published books don’t have stakeholders the way major Hollywood studio movies do and needn’t be held to the same accounting. 

Also, apples vs. grapes vs. watermelons.

I can create a slim 5×8 softcover text book at $5 per copy; or I can create a fat 12×12 hardcover book for $185.  

For a three dollars I can buy the former book sixty times and stock them in my closet. If I take money out of my left pocket and put it in my right pocket, does that qualify as a "best seller"? 

Alternately, if I purchase ten of the latter to give to my family, that’s the equivalent of more than 300 copies of a 5×8 softcover book. Would it be counted as such?

Posted by
tekapo
Jan 8, 2010 5:13pm PDT
tekapo

Edit: para 5; should read "three hundred dollars"…

Posted by
tekapo
Jan 8, 2010 5:14pm PDT
tekapo

I understand that some want to keep their privacy, but if some poeple don’t mind telling us how much books did they sell, it could give a clearer idea about sales.
Thank you.

Posted by
toonytokyo
Jan 10, 2010 11:03pm PDT
toonytokyo

It is very important to know how many sales get you in the Best Sellers list, as it is a form of marketing, so at least it would give you an idea of the goal you were trying to achieve with sales of your book.

Posted by
dicer1987
Oct 31, 2010 8:45am PDT
dicer1987

As a relative newcomer to Blurb I’ve spent time perusing the Best Seller list to see what I can learn from it. It seems to me that some books were for an obvious niche market that will produce good sales, whilst others frankly left me wondering why they were there!

On thing I particularly noticed was an almost complete dearth of comments attached to the book details. I thought this strange as when something is popular it’s usual to find positive remarks about it.

How often is this list compiled/.updated – daily, weekly, monthly??? Are the results based on total sales revenue or number of copies sold? Are purchases by the author counted, or only on-line sales to third parties?

Of the two books I’ve made public I’ve sold 14 copies – two of those were purchased on-line (but I’m not on the Best Sellers list yet!).

Posted by
waf1
Nov 5, 2010 2:00pm PDT
waf1

I can understand that some poeple believe that their books will sell (better) if and when they are on the bestseller list or on the front page of blurb. So they want to know how to get there..and then…

I think one can forget that!  If you buy 100+ pieces of your own book you will most probably show up there for some time. I fear it will not  help your sales a tiny little bit. 

It seems better to assume that people who buy a book on Blurb come here because they want to check a specific book that has been advertised on a website or blog etc.

Posted by
editionh
Nov 7, 2010 2:07am PDT
editionh