General Interest

Buying new digital camera

I’ve been using a little Nikon coolpix L3 for almost two years and its been suiting me fine, except that occasionally it gets turned on inside of something, and the shutter gets stuck open, and I had to send it away to get fixed once.  This continues to hapen, even inside a camera case.

Anyhow, I was feeling that perhaps it is time for an upgrade,but I’m not really sure what is importance.  I would like to say one with more manuel options, but I honestly am more concerened with price than with taking my photography to a whole new level.
Any recommendations?

mahalo 

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
kazoodoctor
May 9, 2008 3:06am PDT
kazoodoctor

Aloha kazoodoctor;

You’re really in the wrong forum for this type of question…

I’m sure you’ll get some suggestions; but you’re better off looking at a dedicated photography forum if you want a decent range of options presented…

Starting point is to decide if you want to go further than a "point & shoot" even with some manual functionality… I.e to a D-SLR…

There are just so many options available now that what I did when I upgraded my wife’s camera recently was literally just go down to the local book-store and bought the latest "What Digital Camera" (or some such) magazine, waded through that, then did the online comparisons, and finally reduced the list down to a manageable number…

A very good starting place is "Photography-on-the-Net"  and the Forums in particular, although they tend to be Canon biased…

Apart from that I would Google something along the lines of "Digital Camera Review"...

DPReview is another VERY GOOD site for starters… I’ve used it quite a lot in the past…

Sorry, I’m not being more help, but the possibilities here are endless without a little more input from you on exactly what you want…

Good luck;

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
May 9, 2008 3:52am PDT
lkb-28

mahalo,

Do some research and find out what features in any digital camera(s) you like from any digital camera manufacturers’ website. Once you download PDFs or review some of their Flash presentation on these digital cameras you are interested to take a look at.

Next, see these interested digital cameras you want to take a look at in digital camera vendors. Hands on and play with it for a while.

It is important that you understand how digital camera works, every functions and the purpose, and what is not.

Buying a digital camera is like buying cars with difficult decision – because there is lot of complicated information included.

Some questions for your thought… under consideration…

What is your budget for your digital camera purchase? What kind of digital camera do you want – a point n shoot digital camera or a dSLR professional high-end digital camera or any digital camera in between. Do you want digital camera that produces RAW format or straight JPG formatted by digital camera? (Best if you have some features, options such as RAW plus JPEG).

If you decide to go for digital camera with RAW format capacity, be sure that you have appropriate software and converters to convert RAW digital formats into DNG, TIF or PSD or JPG.

Last question is most obvious and precise under consideration, try to find your comfort zone with at least two or three digital cameras, then find most ideal digital camera you want. Also, I don’t know what is purpose of you to take pictures with digital camera – is it just for fun as hobby or professional or something like that. If hobby, find a good point n shoot digital camera.

Good luck with your shopping and search for your new digital camera. Just take your time, no rush in buying digital camera too. Unless you have found what you like, go for it.

Posted by
brianbonitz
May 9, 2008 3:59am PDT
brianbonitz

Lee, you already beat me on that one. As it seems, we are on this about “almost” the same time.

I realize that I didn’t include the links that Lee has provided. DPReview is highly recommended. Hands down. Thanks Lee for sharing the link.

Peace!

Posted by
brianbonitz
May 9, 2008 4:02am PDT
brianbonitz

In addition to the above I would check out the reviews on CNET.com. Not a substitute for DPReview, but a slightly different, more nuts and bolts type review.
And nothing can compare to holding the camera in your hands. I have small hands. The “best” cameras just felt too heavy and the controls didn’t quite work well for me. So the dslr I picked is great for me, but my husband finds using some of the menus tough because his hands are so much bigger. So check out the reviews, figure out what your needs are, pick out a few candidates and then go to a store where you can hold and play with them. Make sure you play with all the menus etc… to get a feel for ease of use.
You could also check out Flickr. They have a “camera finder” way of searching that will let you view photos taken by that camera.

Posted by
CasaDeWoof
May 9, 2008 7:56am PDT
CasaDeWoof

yea, I like DPReview, too. Excellent consumer and expert critiques of a whole range of cameras.

Posted by
cantudoit2
May 9, 2008 12:19pm PDT
cantudoit2

IF, you don’t want to spend a lot of money for DLRS you might think about the Canon Powershot g9, This the camera that pro use when they don’t want to lung around their big and bulky DLRS.

about $500 USm 12 mega pixels-shoot in raw, easy to learn nd use 3’screen,

I love it. Oh and the pictures I took with it and used in my blurb book-fantastic!!!!

Keep smiling

Posted by
pictureme
May 24, 2008 5:04pm PDT
pictureme

Mmmm thaks guys.

Posted by
kazoodoctor
May 27, 2008 12:30am PDT
kazoodoctor