General Interest

Well 48 books later and almost a year on . Yes for me Blurb works smarter!

It is almost a year now since I started out on my quest to produce an account of my father’s career on the Railways 280 pages and 430 photos, many never seen before. It has been a labour of love and all the time spent has been worth it. The effort is not all about profit. However in June I will launch the account and only through Blurb, in recognition of its simplicity and to say thank you Blurb.

I have spoken to people who have attempted similar projects with publishers and I do not mean only vanity ones, the money they have had to lay out and guarantee for sometimes no more than £3.00 per book profit is startling. One chap and his friends put up £7K others stumping up the norm of £10K .

Some have been hawking their idea or book from publisher to publisher for many months, to little effect. I jumped in and took hold of the Blurb tool and learned a lot from it .

I have since showing my first attempts  managed to secure a weekly article in a newspaper now running for 6 months and I get paid for it, too. So that has been my Blurb spinoff as the Editor said write for me, after looking at the book!

I have gained, insight, knowledge and confidence as well as recognition, oh and not from friends, but I am a politician in the day job and as I write about a subject with many critics, I expected honest feedback and it appears I have got it. Although on seeing the product all have been very complimentary. Something I found hard to deal with as criticism today seems easier to deal with than praise.

Blub book smart has made me work smarter! What about you?

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
shed8b
May 30, 2008 10:50am PDT
shed8b

I started using Blurb more recently, to provide Wedding Albums to clients. I love it as it is reasonably priced and produces good quality photo reproductions.  My clients love it too!

However, as soon as I got the hang of BookSmart I thought to myself – "How about that story I wrote in ‘95 that was rejected by the publishers…"  And got VERY busy putting it together. I have to say this has been a thrilling experience, publishing my funny little story, complete with pictures by my mum (she turns 80 next month). When I went through the final proof before pushing the button to send it uphill to Blurb – I shed a tear I was so excited!  I received the 20 copies 2 days ago, 1 image wrap, 2 dustjackets and the rest softcover. (I have sold 7 copies already.)   We’re going to have a book signing at my mum’s 80th birthday.  This is awesome stuff! A revolution no less. 

Posted by
Alirat
May 30, 2008 9:04pm PDT
Alirat